PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Tyranid Army List (revised from earlier thread)

Zoat
12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
After much playtesting, consuming and digesting of biomass, this is the list I'm currently playing with (at a friendly level).

Thoughts? :)

1 Hive Tyrant
Heavy Venom Cannon
Hive Commander

2 Tyrant Guard

4 Tyranid Warriors
Boneswords + Lash Whips
Deathspitters

9 Genestealers
1 Broodlord (with)
Scything Talons
Implant Attack

10 Genestealers

16 Hormagaunts
Toxin Sacs

16 Hormagaunts
Toxin Sacs

3 Zoanthropes
Mycetic Spore

1 Mawloc
Regeneration

Total = 1494

Tynskel
12-02-2010, 01:49 PM
looks fun! If you can, I would squeeze in Adrenal Sacs on the Mawloc--- Str 7 could make all the difference vs hv armor and Monsterous Creatures.

blackarmchair
12-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Hrrrm. I don't know.

Good HQ choice, we agree there. I'd add a Tyranid Prime to the Tyrant and his squad though - that's one nasty unit.

Foot warriors are not something I've seen people having a lot of success with. They tend to simply get instant killed from rockets and lascannons; there are a lot of those running around these days.

I'd run the stealers without upgrades - they don't really need them - this is especially true when they're hanging out with the rest of your army where they can be supported if need be.

I'm not sold of Hormagaunts. I still feel that termagants and tervigons are the way to go.

Zoanthropes are so cool. The new Hive Guard are better, but I do love the look and feel of thropes.

BOOO to the Mawloc! Just take a Trygon! lol

Zoat
12-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Tynskel: I'm guessing the Adrenal Glands don't work on the Burrow rule? :S

Blackarmchairman:
Foot Warriors - after getting instant-deathed repeatedly with them, I decided to try a new track and Outflank them with the Hive Commander rule. Although, can I use the HC if I put a TPrime with them? If I can, I will.

The 'stealers aren't actually upgraded, that's just confusing list structure on my part (my bad) - they're the Broodlord's upgrades. I picked Scything Talons because I had spare points, and Implant Attack to use with Hypnotic Gaze-assisted character head-hunting.

Hormagaunts get underestimated by the opponents I play for that reason - then they kill things (most of the time, anyway :p)

I don't have enough money currently to buy some Hive Guard, but am considering converting them. Any suggestions?

But Mawlocs are fun! :D The amount of times (well, twice) that he's Deep-Striked under a Terminator unit and killed all of them...

blackarmchair
12-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm also not sure about outflanking them. You really need to keep everything reasonably close in a Tyranid army as all your units are set up to work together in the new codex.

As per the prime, I was suggesting putting it with the Tyrant. That unit can kill anything...seriously...anything.

Yeah, I wouldn't even take a broodlord with the stealers. It's gonna save you some points and he doesn't really add too much to the unit. 10-12 genestealers on thier own is about right.

Hormagaunts aren't bad. You're very right, people do underestimate the I6, S4 re-roll to wound. They hit hard in cc. I'm just not convinced their better than the termagant/tervigon combo.

Hrm...I think a warrior is the closest looking kit but even they're far off...

Mawlocks are...well...overwhelmingly mediocre. Yeah, if you get them to hit they can do some damage but they're pretty poor in close combat and any opponent not capable of killing them in cc will be shooty enough to nuke it in one turn. I prefer foot-slogging Trygons to run with your main force and support.

Tynskel
12-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I love Mawlocs. I have had much success with them. The thing I have found is to never cross 200 points. At that point, take the Trygon.

THe Mawloc, though, is a finesse unit. It must be supported.
The Trygon has the same problem as the Mawloc: same wounds, and people will try to nuke it the instant it gets close.

I have found that one of the better ways to use the mawloc is in conjunction with a Screamer killer in a Pod. With Hive Commander, you have a 2/3 chance on turn 2 to have both come in the same time (remember you can set the Mawloc up on the board, and burrow turn 1-- auto comes in turn 2). If you have a second pod with a throw away unit, it can be very effective at blocking in units that will be destroyed by the Mawloc's burrowing.

I like the Screamer over the Trygon due to the large amount of AP2 than can happen when the Mawloc and Carni when they enter the board. I have also found that the Plasma cannon is better (for me) than having 2 more wounds. They both cost the same amount of points (when you talk Prime), but Str10 and Str7AP2 go a long way. Assault Grenades on the charge at Int4 is also very nice.

Oh and, No--- Furious Charge is for Assault only.