PDA

View Full Version : 2K List with Baron Sathonyx

Stevish4U
12-05-2010, 08:32 AM
I was thinking that for his points cost, it might be worth running the Lord Hellion for a trial game or two. He has a relatively low points cost, packs a decent punch and lets you take Hellions as troops...I also run a Haemonculus because this gives me access to Wracks as troops, and lets face it...they are pretty good for 10 points a model.
Here is a 2K list I would run.
I have Independent Characters listed with the unit they will be deploying with.

Baron Sathonyx
Haemonculus with Scissorhand and Liquifier Gun
Helliarch with an Agoniser and x14 Hellions
445 Points
The Haemonculus will start with this unit, leave the pain token and then join a unit of Kabalite Truedborn in their Venom.

x3 Kabalite Trueborn with Blasters in a Venom with a Splinter Cannon
146 Points

x3 Kabalite Trueborn with Blasters in a Venom with a Splinter Cannon
146 Points

x10 Wracks with 2 Liquifier Guns in a Raider with a Flickerfield
190 Points
190 Points
190 Points
190 Points

x3 Reavers with a Heat Lance
78 Points
x3 Reavers with a Heat Lance
78 Points

Ravager with Nightshields
115 Points
115 Points
115 Points

Total Points = 1998

The Baron and his Hellion band will most like be kept in the backfield in cover. They will act as my counter assault if necessary. The Haemonculus starts with them to leave the Pain token with them for Feel No Pain, as their T-shirt style Armor Save is pretty lame. After doing the math, Hellions should prove useful as long as I don't get tempted to chase something else down and leave them vulnerable to shooting. Like I said, those 5+ saves just don't cut it. I chose this squad size because you can lose a few guys and not have to run if you do get shot at.

The Kabalite Trueborn with Blasters are to chase down transports and light tanks. I figure I can take out the tank/transport with the blasters, and then chew through some of the passengers that pop out with the splinter cannons. After turbo boost to get there, they is a nice cover save, and if I get assaulted, they need 6's to hit.
I think that if you are an anti-tank unit, you should put them in an anti infantry vehicle. This way you can deal with anything they throw at you, and the unit doesn't lose it's effectiveness as the game progresses.

Wracks pack a decent close combat punch, and with the two liquifier guns thrown in, the really bring the pain. While it is true that they only have a 6+ save, they do start with a pain token and therefore have Feel no Pain, making them slightly more survivable. Having the wracks in raiders, as stated above, lets them kill a transport, then chew up the unit that comes out.

The Reavers will turbo boost as far into the enemy deployment zone as possible, hopefully causing a wound or two as they woosh over a unit. Then their goal will be to use those heat lances on the rear armor of heavier tanks and such.

The Ravagers will act as cover for some of the Raiders. Either blocking some line of sight or causing them to be obscured. The three Dark Lances speak for themselves...

I really wish the mandrakes were better. The look decent on paper, but I find they just don't fit in any list I can make. If they started with their shooting attack...let's say at 12", and it increased by 6" every time they got a pain token, then I might think about it. Or if You could deploy them in the same way that you put out the Decapitator/include him in a unit of them and he starts them with a pain token. It is truly sad, because the models are so nice.

I find that the Harlequins just don't bring the same bang for the buck as some other options in the Elites slot. Maybe I would run them in a list with a webway portal.

The fighter and the bomber,in my opinion, are just not as efficient for their points as the ravager. The don't have impressive armor, and I don't want a simple bolter to be able to bring down a heavy support vehicle that I've paid 145+ points for. One unlucky potshot roll by a marine who has nothing else to do could be the end of it all.

I know some people really love the Wyches, but I think that for the same price as Wracks, they just don't make any sense. The really don't have any shooting capacity, and they have poor saves (5+). They can't take out the enemy from a distance, and they won't get into close combat range through a flamer or simpler bolter fire.

All in all I think this list covers it. It has a decent amount tank popping from the Raiders, Ravagers, Trueborn and Reavers. It has good anti infantry from everything, and everything is highly mobile. I've tried to insure the survivability of some more valuable units by leaving them with Feel No Pain, and everyone else is in a vehicle.