Fast Attack:

Scout Sentinels x3 105 Points
+ Three Autocannons 15 Points

Total: 120 Points

Scout Sentinels x3 105 Points
+ Three Missile Launchers 30 Points

Total: 135 Points

Total Army Calculation: 1498 Points

I wanted this army to be balanced to kill both walkers and hordes while being able to skitter about the map and cap objectives that aren't in my deployment or in remote areas.

The massive clump that is the Command Squad is designed to deal with pesky space marine tactical squads in Close Combat without killing them outright in one combat. Coupled with the Lord Commissar attatched to any particular squad I want, he makes the squad he is with Stubborn and LD 10. The Ministorum Priests offer re-roll failed to hits when I charge (hopefully re-roll failed to hits using Melta-Bombs as well).

Lemme know what u think.

ElCheezus
12-06-2010, 11:40 AM
First off, this is an assault-oriented IG list that doesn't use the units that are actually good at CC: blob squads, ogryn, rough riders. Veterans are BS 4 special weapons platforms, and you're giving them flamers, and the over-expensive heavy flamers, at that.

You have two (extremely fragile) units that can take out armor at range, the Sentinels. At BS 3, you'll be lucky if they take down a transport between them a turn.

HBs aren't good in this edition, since they can't do much against armor. I don't like the way you have either of the Vet squads with Sentries set up, but if you drop the bolt pistols you could upgrade them to Autocannons, at least.

The Lord Commissar does give the unit LD 10 and Stubborn in CC, it's true. That's why as an IC he'll be singled out and killed in the first round or two. Either that or the low model count for the rest of the group means they'll be wiped out in one go, and the LC the next turn. Guard are T3 with 5+. The only way we're viable in CC is with numbers, as in blobs of 20+.

This list is extremely unconventional, and I highly doubt it'll work. If you've had different results, I'm surprised, but good for you. Sorry if this post is pretty negative, but I have a lot of doubts about this list.

ColonelElibas
12-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I choose the Veterans for their access to doctrines and shotguns, not necessarily their Ballistic Skill of 4. I chose the Flamers and Heavy Flamer because they're assault weapons that can auto-hit more than one target. I didn't choose Meltas because the Vets in the Chimera's already have Demolitions; thus giving them all Melta-Bombs and a Demolition Charge.

I'm inclined to disagree that Blobs are effective in Close Combat, considering I play against Blood Angels and armies that use ALOT of templates and flamers. They are situational at best.

Rough Riders are literally one shot wonders once, for one round of combat, so whatever they go after it has to be utterly destroyed or maimed. Other than that they're just really fast fodder.

In my opinion, Ogryns are too expensive in a 1500 Point list. Sure it's really nice to have Toughness 5, 3 Wound badasses that do 3 attacks each at Strength 5 (6 on the charge), but I'd like Power Weapons better. I'd probably field 6 in a Chimera at 2000 Points.

master_of_the_ordnace
12-07-2010, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=ColonelElibas;109904]I'm inclined to disagree that Blobs are effective in Close Combat, considering I play against Blood Angels and armies that use ALOT of templates and flamers. They are situational at best. QUOTE]

Whao...I don't know where you get that when you have the possibility of 10 hidden power weapons (5 Commissars/5 Sergeants) re-rolling (ministorium priest)...you put no special weapons in with them and have them first rank, second rank and get assaulted... they serve a counter assualt unit...feed someone a unit and then slam the horde into them. It's kinda gross...Platoon based guard armys are good, I don't run one because I like tanks and psyker battle squads...that's your anti-horde right there. The Leman Russ.