13th Gunmetalican Armored Cavalry Regiment
3rd Company "Breakers"

Company Command Squad with 3 x Plasma Guns, Medi-pack
Company Commander with Power Fist/Plasma Pistol/MeltaBomb
Officer of the Fleet
Chimera with Extra Armor

Company Command Squad with 4 x Melta Guns
Company Commander with Power Fist/Plasma Pistol
Chimera with Extra Armor, Heavy Flamer (Hull)

Psyker Battle Squad (8 x Psykers)
Chimera with Extra Armor

Psyker Battle Squad (8 x Psykers)
Chimera with Extra Armor

Veteran Squad with 3 x Melta Gun
Chimera with Heavy Flamer (Hull)

Veteran Squad with 3 x Melta Gun

Veteran Squad with 3 x Flamer

Veteran Squad with 3 x Flamer

Leman Russ Exterminator w/ Extra Armor, Las Cannon
Knight Commander Pask

Leman Russ Squadron
3 x Leman Russ Battle Tanks

Leman Russ Squadron
3 x Leman Russ Battle Tanks

ElCheezus
12-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Things to get rid of:
CCS
-medi-pack 30
-power fist 15
-meltabomb 5
-officer of the fleet 30
-extra armor 15
+add another plasma +15

This group should be in the Chimera the whole time, and plasma wounds alone aren't enough to warrant buying FNP. The only time a medic is worth it is when you're fully kitting the group out for CC (which I don't think is a good idea, but hey). Likewise, the PF and the MB are assault oriented, you won't use them 9 games out of 10. The Officer of the Fleet is actually a bad thing to take. Since most games are objective related, it gives your opponent delayed reserves, which can come in and contest objectives without you having time to respond. If you could take the outflank protection without the +1 to reserve rolls, I'd like him a lot better.

CCS2
-PF 15
-Plasma Pistol 10
-Extra Armor 15

Again, this group should stay in the chimera and shoot, not get out and assault, drop the PF. Plasma and Melta don't really go well together, since they have different targets. I'd drop it and save the points for something else.

PBS x3
-extra armor 30

Extra armor is crap, and only works 1/6th of the time the vehicle gets shot. Even then you still can't shoot. I'd take it if it were 5 points, maybe. Perhaps.

Vets w/ flamers = crap take hellhounds

Veterans are special weapons carriers with BS 4, and you put flamers on them. In general, each of your 8 Chimeras should have HHFs, as I see most do. I'd also put flamers on each of the LRBTs. This will give you plenty hot flame action. If you need more, you have all of your fast attack slots open, which means Hellhounds

No fast attack? Vendettas? Hellhounds?

Speaking of, the FA slot is the one that fills up fastest in my army. Vendettas are ridiculously cheap and powerful gunboats, even if they don't transport anything. And if you want more hot, sweaty, flame action, the Hellhound is pretty fantastic. Not only is it a better strength, you tend to hit more targets due to the flexibility of the template.

With the extra wargear I suggested cut, that should leave you with 180 points extra. You can spend 30 points bumping those Vet squads to all be melta-toting. Then you have enough points for a Hellhound or a Vendetta. If you're only getting one, I'd suggest a Hellhound, even though I love Vendettas. A single Vendetta will just serve as a target.

I've never played at 2500 points, so I don't usually have to squadron vehicles. Generally I would avoid it like the plague, though. The only advice I heard that made sense was to not squadron until you had to, i.e. all of your other force org slots were full. Take that with whatever grains of salt you'd like, though. If you went that route (filling the rest of the slots) I'd go with either Melta Stormtroopers for spot removal or another PBS in the Elite, three Vendettas in the FA. But again, that's not my expertise.

ColonelElibas
12-07-2010, 12:18 PM
I agree with mostly everything Cheezus has mentioned, albiet for different reasons.

Since your list is essentially Russ Heavy there's no real need to give your command squads Power Weapons, and the Medi-Pack isn't really necessary if they're going to stay hunkered in their Chimera, since only one can pop out and and shoot while inside.

Extra Armor is unessesary to the point that smoke launchers are more viable to preventing damage than the upgrade.

I agree about the Veterans and flamers in this list because they don't have any doctrines. Though I will mention that Hellhounds are a little hit and miss in that it really only shoots 12" instead of what the appendix's 24". Read the rules for the Inferno Cannon. Essentially, Hellhounds need a great deal of thinking when they're moving in. Consider using other variants such as the Devil Dog or Bane Wolf to accompany them.

And considering that the rest of the Army isn't fast (as in all the Leman Russes) I would suggest buying one to accomodate Pask and have it act as a body guard.

Or If you want an element of suprise, take Setinels w/ Heavy Flamers or Autocannons and Outflank them.

master_of_the_ordnace
12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Alright, here we go. Before we start, this isn't a new list. I've been playing this list and variants of it for about 4 months now. I have a pretty decent record too. And remember also when you're critical of someone's choices, you don't know the metagame in their area. If you base your opinions off of the net guard lists you see, then you'd know that that command squad minus the plasma pistol and adding a master of ordnace is Nick Rose's 2009 Ard Boyz Company Command Squad. He ran two...I like my other all melta. Guard power fists allow you to get those last two space marines off an objective...it's better to have it and not need it than not have it and do. I've found that out the hard way. The plasma pistols...yeah. I could dump them, but power fists? Nah...not hardly. As for the medi-pack, it's made it's points back for me. And oh yeah, Nick Rose had them on his Command Squads too. Officer of the Fleet...maybe depending on the game, but against the amount of Null Deployment list that are floating around he's money and that's an extra body that makes them re-roll which side their gene-stealers (any other nasty out flank threat comes in on.) Making one of those armies come in a little at a time can win you the game. And I'm pretty sure that you get effects on Rhinos on a 4+ (being a glance, then so on.)...so yeah, but you might be right about plasma pistols.

Psyker battle squad's gay good...I'm not that gay. They mesh pretty good with the battle tank squadrons.

Extra armor works a lot of the time on glances...considering that most small arms weapons only will at best glance my chimeras and that russ. (The russ on a 6 with a S8 weapon vs front.) I believe in it.

Vets with flamers are great vs horde. Remember, you make all attack rolls first and with three flamers you lay them at the same time, so lets say I get 7 orks out of a slugga boy squad...I have three flamers, I can lay then next two on that "sweet spot" and have 21 wounds to roll out of the hatch of the chimera. That hellhound gets one lay...sorry, I'll take my vets thank you.

Fas Attack...hmm, the guard does have some money fast attacks, but they didn't fit the flavor of the list.

The Pask Tank...it's kinda nice. I bought him in the Exterminator for a couple reason...BS 4 Crack Shot with that main gun...it's death to Rhinos and their variants that make up a good percentage of the vehicles you see hit the table. And also...with crack shot, that LasCannon is effective S10 vs vehicles if he doesn't move. Too easy..when I got vehicles to claim cover from. That's this lists best quality...I can spam tank cover saves, hide my troops pretty well and lay down some hardcore fire power with those naked russes...That's six battle cannons a turn provide they don't have effects on them. And have two squadrons makes up the line units of my Tank Company...considering guard tank squadrons in the fluff are also three tanks...so two squadrons and their command tank, see what I did there? It's fluff and decently competitive.

As well as bringing my own cover to the table, I spam threats...

I took a 1750 version running light on the russes, and minus on PBS and I took 10th in a tournament out of 32...next guard player running the leafblower took 24th. I tabled two of the people I played and lost one close one. I had fun too and got the statifaction of being able to do well with a fluffy list.

Thanks for the feedback, now let's hear what you play.

ColonelElibas
12-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback, now let's hear what you play.

I play a Guard gunline:

15 Heavy Bolters
10 Mortars
9 LasCannons
32 Sniper Rifles (20 of which are Ratlings)
3 Manticores
4 Flamers

All at 2K points exactly. Its a really fun list to play in that my shooting fases take longer than my all my opponents fases combined. And I've also found a little advantage in fielding 3 Manticores in that, depite people deplaying in 'anti-blast' formations, the Storm Eagle Rockets Large Blast actually makes them more succeptable to the strength 10, AP 4 beatdown.

Coupled with the 10 Mortars, I'm raining death from above 24/7.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=11878

This thread is about another, more manueverable close shooting Guard Army that would probably surprise alot of Mech folks. The only problem with that list currently is that it cant take Biker or T5 army lists very well.

ElCheezus
12-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Alright, here we go. Before we start, this isn't a new list. I've been playing this list and variants of it for about 4 months now. I have a pretty decent record too. And remember also when you're critical of someone's choices, you don't know the metagame in their area. If you base your opinions off of the net guard lists you see, then you'd know that that command squad minus the plasma pistol and adding a master of ordnace is Nick Rose's 2009 Ard Boyz Company Command Squad. He ran two...I like my other all melta. Guard power fists allow you to get those last two space marines off an objective...it's better to have it and not need it than not have it and do. I've found that out the hard way. The plasma pistols...yeah. I could dump them, but power fists? Nah...not hardly. As for the medi-pack, it's made it's points back for me. And oh yeah, Nick Rose had them on his Command Squads too. Officer of the Fleet...maybe depending on the game, but against the amount of Null Deployment list that are floating around he's money and that's an extra body that makes them re-roll which side their gene-stealers (any other nasty out flank threat comes in on.) Making one of those armies come in a little at a time can win you the game. And I'm pretty sure that you get effects on Rhinos on a 4+ (being a glance, then so on.)...so yeah, but you might be right about plasma pistols.

I don't base my opinion off of net Guard lists. I base my opinion off the fact that guard in CC is generally a bad idea, and they tend to run away after one round. Paying 15 points to make a guardsman decent (not great, just decent) for a couple attacks isn't worth it.

Extra armor works a lot of the time on glances...considering that most small arms weapons only will at best glance my chimeras and that russ. (The russ on a 6 with a S8 weapon vs front.) I believe in it.

Extra armor works exactly the same amount on glances as it does on pens, one in six. It only downgrades stunned to shaken. That's either a 2 on a pen or a 4 on a glance. No other results matter to it.

Vets with flamers are great vs horde. Remember, you make all attack rolls first and with three flamers you lay them at the same time, so lets say I get 7 orks out of a slugga boy squad...I have three flamers, I can lay then next two on that "sweet spot" and have 21 wounds to roll out of the hatch of the chimera. That hellhound gets one lay...sorry, I'll take my vets thank you.

Yes, multiple flamers can put down many wounds. At the same time, they're up in the thick and they'll be assaulted (to death) the next turn unless they absolutely wipe all nearby squads. Possible, but not a guarantee. The Hellhound can flame from outside of threat range, and live to do it again next turn. It can also fire over friendly units, which can help when you've got so many vehicles in an area. It's also S6 instead of S4, with slightly better AP. This helps with anything above T2, and especially against T3 with FNP.

If you really need MOAR FLAMER on a scoring unit, I guess I can see giving them to Vets, though you've got enough template and blast I personally woudln't be too worried about hordes. At that point, though, I'd personally see if I could do a platoon, and give the PCS 4x flamers. It's more expensive if you can't use the ten man squads, but cheaper otherwise.

As for "what do I play," it's around somewhere. Not sure if its up to date, though. /shrug

Commander Vimes
12-07-2010, 11:57 PM
I agree with the Power Fists in the CCS. They are not too expensive at 15 points, and can come in handy surprisingly often. The Medic with the plasma squad is also useful so they can get more than one round of good firing in. Also, the squad is annoying resilient against the sorts of small leftover marine units that the powerfist is good against.

From a competitive standpoint I'd also suggest having all the Vets carrying Melta, just because you're very vulnerable to a Land Raider heavy list. Blood Angels, for example, can field 3 full of assault Marines with plenty of support at 2500. Even double Raider lists would be highly dangerous. Units with Melta will be priority targets, and with only three, it's probable you'll run out of melta before they run out of Raiders, and glancing Raiders to death is no fun.

Pask's Str.10 lascannon is nice, but you can't count on it vs. Raiders. That said, an Exterminator is my favorite place for Pask. BS4 Twin-linked Str.8 is awesome. Consider putting Multi-Melta sponsons on if you've got extra points for if the enemy gets close.

You can also afford to drop the flamers on the Vets because your Russes and hull Heavy Flamers should have enough template death to deal with any horde.

I've never found extra armor to be worth the points on Guard Vehicles personally, but if it works for your battle plan then keep them.

Since you asked everyone, my Guard at 1850 is two 40 man platoons with PW/melta guns backed by Straken and their platoon CSs with special weapons in chimeras, plus Autocannon HWTs and two Russes with plasma cannons.

ElCheezus
12-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Medics aren't worth it unless you're a CC unit. Any unit with plasmas aren't a CC unit since you can't charge. 4x Plasma is more firepower on average until you get to the fifth (I think) round of shooting, which you're not likely to get with a single unit since you'll need to manoeuvre a couple turns. It does help if you plan on taking small arms fire, but still isn't worth it if you could buy a whole nother unit with saved points. In this list, the saved points I mentioned will buy a Vendetta, Hellhound, or Vet squad. Of course, this is an oft-had argument where nobody will really budge on their position, so I'll leave you to your opinions after this. :-)

On the other hand, I might agree with a medic and a PF in a CCS with 3x Melta. I think 4x Melta is usually overkill, since two hits should do the trick. In that case, the CCS is a sacrificial unit. FNP and a PF might actually help them absorb more fire. If I find extra points, I might check that out myself. It would be a good chance for me to see how much FNP will actually help in CC, or it is just a waste on all fronts.

One thing I want to mention, just for general knowledge, that I like about Pask is that his ability doesn't actually increase the strength of the weapon. So it's not a S10 Lascannon, it just gets +1 to the roll. Since I play against Eldar this matters against their "Str 8 only" shields (don't remember what they're called). Also, this means if you run a Demolisher, you can get an effective Str 11 shot. Not hugely important, but fun knowledge.

master_of_the_ordnace
12-09-2010, 07:15 AM
One thing I want to mention, just for general knowledge, that I like about Pask is that his ability doesn't actually increase the strength of the weapon. So it's not a S10 Lascannon, it just gets +1 to the roll. Since I play against Eldar this matters against their "Str 8 only" shields (don't remember what they're called). Also, this means if you run a Demolisher, you can get an effective Str 11 shot. Not hugely important, but fun knowledge.

Gross ain't it? And it's a natural fit on the Exterminator and it's twin-linked heavy 4 autocannon...makes it a legit Rhino-buster.