PDA

View Full Version : vulkans' power active after death?

MrBo
08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
does vulcan hstan's ability to twinlink flamers and meltas continue after he is killed?if not do you just revert to the normal abilities in the codex?

Jwolf
08-26-2009, 11:00 AM
The codex does not specify while Vulkan is alive, so the ability continues after death.

MrBo
08-26-2009, 02:46 PM
The codex does not specify while Vulkan is alive, so the ability continues after death.

awesome thanks

blueshift
08-26-2009, 03:46 PM
yes, we're looking at it from the viewpoint of the lore: the Salamanders that roll with Vulkan have really nice guns and hammers. whether or not he dies or is mortally wounded has no relevance on his army's weaponry.

mkerr
08-26-2009, 04:56 PM

100% agree.

-- mkerr

fade_74
08-28-2009, 09:05 AM
So.....all the marine special abilities continue after the death of the Special character? Like an army led by Shrike is still fleet after his death? Seems kinda weird to me. But I can see your point.

Mike Dunford
08-28-2009, 10:27 AM
So.....all the marine special abilities continue after the death of the Special character? Like an army led by Shrike is still fleet after his death? Seems kinda weird to me. But I can see your point.

It's basically the replacement for the chapter traits system from the last edition - taking the signature character (whether as-written or a counts-as variant for your own chapter) from one of the very-nearly-but-not-quite-codex chapters lets you build an army list that's still distinctly Space Marine, but also clearly not just another variant on the boys in blue.

Bung
08-29-2009, 12:20 PM
They are like the Emporers Champion and his vows which continue to work even if the Champion is death.
After all its not specified in the sm dex the most say they special caracters work the same way.

NecronAbyss
08-30-2009, 09:42 PM

Some special characters say that their abilities don't work when they die. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Marnius Calgar.

Squirrel_Fish
09-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Some special characters say that their abilities don't work when they die. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Marnius Calgar.

True, but Marneus Calgar's 'God of War' ability is not quite the same as many of the other SM IC's "Chapter tactics".

R3con
09-01-2009, 12:42 PM
The ones that dont work after death always have some requirement of the character being in the squad.

Think of Bolter Drill.

Aquila
09-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Think of it like this - the character is not granting you the use of the ability, they already have it because of the specific faction that they're from. So, Khan doesn't magically make all of his marines sneaky, they outflank because they're White Scars and that's what White Scars do. Choosing the character replaces the Combat Tactics with a Chapter Tactics special rule, it is not an ability granted by the character. Get it?

So, yes, since the special rule is replaced, it continues to be replaced after the character dies. It does not 'revert' back to combat tactics.

Ming
09-01-2009, 05:12 PM
That is why I use Kantor. In life, he gives his inspiring presence to units within 12 inches (+1A). After death, my army is still plain stubborn, just like me! Stubborn is a "chapter tactics" replacement choice, and is valuable in 5th ed. His inspiring presence is unique to him as alive, and is very important as a force miultiplier against hordes or assaulty opponents.