PDA

View Full Version : Raven Guard 2500 pt.

master_of_the_ordnace
12-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Shadow Captain Shrike

Librarian (Epistolary with Force Dome/Vortex of Doom)

Sternguard Veterans (9 + Sgt)
7 Combi-Meltas, 2 x Meltaguns
Sgt w/ Power Fist, Combi-Melta
Drop Pod w/ Stormbolter

Assault Terminator Squad (5 + 1 Sgt) w/ Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield
Lander Raider w/ Extra Armor, Multi-Melta

Scout Squad (4 + Sgt) w/ Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks

Scout Squad (4 + Sgt) w/ Combat Blades and Bolt Pistols
Sgt w/ Powerfist, Combi-Melta

Scout Squad (4 + Sgt) w/ Combat Blades and Bolt Pistols
Sgt w/ Plasma Pistol and Power Weapon

Vanguard Veterans (6 + Sgt) w/ Power Weapons
Sgt w/ Thunderhammer/Storm Shield

Landspeeder Storm w/ Multi-Melta

Landspeed Storm w/ Heavy Flamer

Thunderfire Cannon

Thunderfire Cannon

Thunderfire Cannon

Alright, this list was inspired by my one of my buddies wanting to do a Imperial Armour 8: Raid on Kastorel-Novem Campaign. So, I elected to put up the Raven Guard Force. I got the Shadow Captain Korvydae model from Forge World...sick model btw. The campain never happened, so I elected to play the list using Shrike. He's what I came up with.

The list uses the old sideways land raider trick. Starting with the Land Raider Pivot from starting sideways, then a 12" move. I disembark the Terminators 2" and Fleet durring the shooting Phase. Then assault 6"...possible 28-ish" threat range from TH/SS Terminators is kinda gross.

Landspeeder Storms mount up the Combat Blade Squads...Powerfist/Combi-Melta Sgt's Squad rides the Heavy Flamer Speeder and The Power Weapon/Plasma Pistol rides the Multi-Melta Speeder, I mixed it up so that these squads and their rides can hit a variety of threats as quick as possible.

The Librarian drops with the Sternguard, possibly protecting them with invuln saves or he seperates to hit another threat with Vortex of Doom.

The Sternguard are death to an armored threat with 8 Combi-meltas and 2 real meltaguns, they also can lay into infantry with special ammo with good effect.

The Thunderfire cannons are able to hit nearly anywhere on the board and they will shread dismounted troops that all those AT threats will hopefully peel out of their rides.

The thunderfire cannons' fire power will be further augmented by the three sniper squads that are back to hold objectives w/ their 2+ Cover Saves. (Ruins + Camo Cloaks + Bolster Defences from the Thunderfire Cannon's Techmarine Gunners) Off the outflank is Shrike with the Vanguard Vets hitting a hard Infantry target w/ those power weapon attacks and that's possile 24" threat range off the side table edges.

Commander Vimes
12-09-2010, 12:52 PM
First, the sideways Land Raider trick is of dubious legality. I'd argue that you measure from starting point to end point, instead of pivot, then measure. It is a somewhat gray area, but it is certainly bad sportsmanship to exploit. In a tournament with sportsmanship expect to get docked for doing so, and I would personally be reluctant to play an opponent using what I consider to be an abusive rules interpretation even in a casual game.

Termies with fleet have a great assault range as it is, you shouldn't need the extra movement.

I think the Sternguard have too many meltas. Even if you only shoot a few combi meltas at each vehicle it's overkill. I think you would be better off with some some basic Sternguard to soak up hits.

The Vanguards are the same. Equipping everyone with a power weapon is very expensive and it means every guy that dies is worth almost as much as a terminator. I think you would be better off dropping down to maybe two power weapons and maxing out the squad with more bodies.