PDA

View Full Version : George Lucas does it again, and by "it", I mean ...

Brass Scorpion
12-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Check this out, George Lucas does it again, and by "it", I mean desecrate the memory of great movies and actors, in this case it's not his own movies though...

http://geeksofdoom.com/2010/12/06/george-lucas-wants-to-digitally-insert-dead-stars-into-new-movies/

It’s no secret to anyone that George Lucas, the man behind the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises, is quite fond of computer effects and digital enhancements. But could that fondness cross a line no one ever thought it would cross?

While speaking to the UK’s Daily Mail, famed actor, writer, director, and comedian Mel Smith — closest to my own heart as the Albino from The Princess Bride — shared a little secret about Mr. Lucas: that he’s been buying up the rights to dead film stars, with hopes of one day being able to digitally insert them into new movies with today’s stars.

Smith directed Radioland Murders, which Lucas produced, but wasn’t thrilled at how it turned out. He explained before sharing this little morsel:
The film was a disaster. George doesn’t understand comedy, so the movie flopped. At least it taught me how to use CGI. George is obsessed with it and used too much in the last two Star Wars films — which I thought were ghastly.

He’s been buying up the film rights to dead movie stars in the hope of using computer trickery to put them all together in a movie, so you’d have Orson Welles and Barbara Stanwyck appear alongside today’s stars.

There it is. But is it as absurd as it sounds? Would it really be unthinkable to take the many appearances and performances of legendary talents, and use today’s high technologies to bring them back to the big screen for new generations to enjoy? One of the worst things about today is that many of our youth don’t know or appreciate those who came before, and most of today’s hero’s and idols are an embarrassment to even think about.

You have to think that IF it were done properly and with the utmost care, it could be cool to see these fallen stars once again. On the other hand, it could be considered pretty sacrilegious to even ponder such a thing.

So what do you think — despite what your thoughts of Lucas are, would you enjoy seeing stars of old able to appear in new movies once again, or is that just a little too creepy to bother moving forward with?

Duke
12-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Plinked reviews say everything that needs to be said about Lucas (www.redlettermedia.com). As far as seeing old starts next to new ones, I think that while i like the idea in theory I think that the classical actors are classic because of the times. Fred Astaire wouldn't be fred Astaire if he was costarring with lndsay lohan.

The beauty of old films is: plot, character develment, imagination encouragement among other things.

Duke

Gotthammer
12-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Seinfeld Vision! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOd7cyXGZV4)

Asymmetrical Xeno
12-11-2010, 02:42 AM
I wouldnt object to new "old" dr who episodes starring william hartnell or patrick troughton. As long as they were written well (i.e. none of the current series writers involved).

Drew da Destroya
12-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Sounds like we're moving one step closer to Gibson's Idoru...

An interesting thought, but the fact that George Lucas is behind it terrifies me... Fred Astaire co-starring with Lindsay Lohan is scary, until you think about him co-starring with Jar Jar Binks.

DarkLink
12-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Check this out, George Lucas does it again, and by "it", I mean desecrate the memory of great movies and actors, in this case it's not his own movies though...

...I think you're taking your movies a little too seriously.

Brass Scorpion
12-13-2010, 02:23 PM
...I think you're taking your movies a little too seriously. I think perhaps you've taken the topic too seriously, though I did use hyperbole to express my opinion on the topic.

I thought this would be a fun bit of news for people to chat about since even the most casual movie goer probably has an opinion. I guess you're of the "I don't care what they do to movies or the people who were in them after they are made" opinion. Some of us feel otherwise. Movies, like any other bit of art, popular or otherwise, to some of us should be left to stand as they are on their own merits. As for using human beings, real ones being used in ways they cannot agree or object to if they might have wanted to do so, I don't think that's a great idea either. I don't even like to see George Washington impersonators selling cars on President's Day weekend. I think it's crappy and disrespectful, but if it was the worst thing going on the last 10 years I'd be happy about that. ;)

Faultie
12-13-2010, 05:48 PM
...I think you're taking your movies a little too seriously.
You're getting a might bit uppity for a guy on a website devoted to arguing about little toy soldiers. :P

Duke
12-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Actually, I'm being pretty uppity... But only because the Internet is serious business, especially when talking about dead people and using hyperbole. Lol

Seeriously though, scorpion I think you have a point. Who represents these people, Lucas? Yea, no conflict of interest there.

Duke

eldargal
12-14-2010, 01:54 AM
You know, if you skip through all the romance, Jar Jar and young Anakin scenes, the Star Wars prequels are pretty good.

Brass Scorpion
12-14-2010, 08:17 AM
I enjoyed the newer films for what they are, though they don't compare well to the original 3 films. On the topic of this thread, one of the most objectionable things I think George Lucas did to his original films was replace Sebastian Shaw in the final shot of Return Of the Jedi with Hayden Christensen. The man was a fine Shakesperean actor and when the movie was made he did a fine job. Removing him digitally from the film was just one of several "retro" changes to those films that I found objectionable. Then of course, there's the one nearly everyone hates, the Han vs. Greedo scene and who shot first.

eldargal
12-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Yes, I think that annoyed me more than who shot first to be honest.

Brass Scorpion
12-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Yes, I think that annoyed me more than who shot first to be honest.Agreed. It was disrespectful to the integrity of the film itself as well as the actor and I found it pretty annoying.

On a personal note, I actually had a brief encounter with Sebastian Shaw while I was in college at the University of Maryland. He came to my Elizabethan Drama class and performed a scene from Doctor Faustus by Marlowe while the RSC was visiting the campus to perform a show. He was an extremely nice gentleman and turned in an amazing performance. A few years later when I saw Return Of The Jedi in the theater for the first time and Luke removes Vader's helmet I immediately thought, "where have I seen that face before?" and then realized it was the same actor who had been in my college classroom a few years earlier.

Drew da Destroya
12-14-2010, 10:08 AM
You know, if you skip through all the romance, Jar Jar and young Anakin scenes, the Star Wars prequels are pretty good.

So, pretty much just Palpatine's rise to power (which was a very cool plot line)? The rest of the series was pretty much tied up in Anakin's love story, or was plastered with Jar Jar.

That's pretty awesome, BrassScorpion. Little did you know that Darth Vader was in your classroom... you would've shown more respect (or Terror)!

eldargal
12-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Its really not as bad as that. The third film actually had very little to skip through for a start. But if you skip the JarJar scenes in the first one and the odd scene with Anakin and Padme is becomes quite good. The second one you really need to skip through all the Romance stuff but thats pretty much it.:)

So, pretty much just Palpatine's rise to power (which was a very cool plot line)? The rest of the series was pretty much tied up in Anakin's love story, or was plastered with Jar Jar.

That's pretty awesome, BrassScorpion. Little did you know that Darth Vader was in your classroom... you would've shown more respect (or Terror)!

Thats fantastsic, BrassScorpion, I wish I could have met him.:) I met Peter Cushing once (Grand Moff Tarkin) when I was six. I had watched Star Wars by that point and I was completely terrified the whole time. I don't remember much else.

Bigred
12-15-2010, 01:43 AM
I met Peter Cushing once (Grand Moff Tarkin) when I was six. I had watched Star Wars by that point and I was completely terrified the whole time.

Which is ironic as he was not only a wargamer like us: http://vodpod.com/watch/3136799-british-pathe-peter-cushing

...but also quite the ladies man right up until the end. I remember watching an interview with Harrison Ford recounting how Cushing had all the women on the set of Star Wars swooning with his old-school English gentlemen style, while all the young American actors watched in awe from the bleachers.

eldargal
12-15-2010, 03:34 AM
I had seen that video before, I can't load it at the moment though. It was before I was in the hobby, but my brothers claim to have had a little chat with him about wargaming when he asked them what hobbies they had or something like that.
Mummy says he was utterly charming, and she had the forethought to get him to sign a photograph of himself as Tarkin for when I was older. It was only a year or so before he died.:( I've got heaps of his horror films on DVD.

scadugenga
12-15-2010, 06:58 AM
I was working the Chicago Comic-Con in the mid 90's and remember meeting David Prowse (the physical actor for Vader) Poor guy had an autograph station set up, but no one recognized him since he was essentially faceless in all three films and James Earl Jones was the voice.

The best memory from that year was running into the entire bounty hunters cast members at the bar. They were getting seriously smashed and telling stories from back in the day. It was good times listening to that crew.

Brass Scorpion
12-15-2010, 08:43 AM
I would have loved to meet Peter Cushing. I was a fan of his work and Christopher Lee's from many of those old Hammer Horror and older British science fiction films when I was a very young kid a few years before Star Wars was released. Peter Cushing was also good in Hound Of The Baskervilles and thanks to DVD I've caught his theatrical film stint as Dr. Who as well. Unfortunately, few TV stations run those old movies any more like when I was a child and I don't imagine a lot of young people get to see them and get hooked on them these days.