PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Chaos Space Marine chapter

Jiggs
08-26-2009, 01:56 PM
So what is your favorite Chaos Space Marine chapter?
Tell us why this is your favorite chapter. Is it because of the fluff, the different ways they play, the special characters, or maybe you just like the gods they follow?

My personal favorite is the Thousand Sons because they follow my favorite god... Tzeentch.

Bloodthirster
08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Alpha Legion because I love thier secretive ways.

Grotzooka
08-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Iron Warriors. One of the only Legions that were legitimately treated badly by the Emperor. And they are generally amazing.

oni
08-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Going with the Black Legion on this one.

Culven
08-26-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm going with the Thousand Sons. Not only are they a tragic legion (they were trying to help the Imperium with their sorcery), but I like Tzeentch. Everything that happens is actually part of Tzeentch's ultimate plan.

Drew da Destroya
08-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Alpha Legion. For the Emperor!

Drunkencorgimaster
08-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Night Lords.

Awesome Joseph Conrad/Apocalypse Now storyline. They are not toadies to the four overgrown warp entities, they did not flee into the Eye of Terror, and their Primarch had the stones to die for his (admittedly twisted) beliefs.

MUMBLES
08-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Word bearers! Gotta spread the faith to the heretic, and then sacrifice him to my dark gods. Muwahaha.

Morgrim
08-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Alpha Legion. I like their ambiguity, I like their subtlety, I like how they honour chaos without allowing themselves to be possessed by it, and I love the fact that they can pose as loyalists and get away with it. Making the Inquisition run around in circles it always fun.

I also have a thing for hydras (as a theme, they're coming through my DE army) so their iconography is a bonus.

eldargal
08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Thousand Sons (followed closely by Alpha Legion)

Lord Anubis
08-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Alpha Legion (followed closely by Thousand Sons) ;)

DuskRaider
08-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Death Guard. fo sho.

Bigred
08-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Death Guard - Legio XIV

exoduster18
08-27-2009, 06:59 AM
I am with the Iron Warriors on this one. Love the fluff and they were my first army (no longer have them as I have since gone loyal). I love that they could build anything and hold it against all comers and that they were just as good at siege warfare and destroying big things as they are defending their citadels and what not.

What's better than a force with a ton of steel rain blowing things up? And being the experts at it?

AirHorse
08-27-2009, 07:03 AM
alpha legion, nothing beats a traitor legion who turned traitor for the sake of loyalty to the very people they betrayed!

Mike Dunford
08-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Iron Warriors, mostly for looks.

But Alpha Legion runs a close second for storyline. They'd definitely be first, if they were just a little easier to paint.

Abominable Plague Marine
08-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Death Guard.

Astrothumps
08-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Dont know if they count but I like the Red Corsairs mostly due to Huron's asskicking ways. Other than that I gotta go with Alpha Legion and Emperor's Children both due to Black Library book. I bet I will be a huge 1000sons fan as well once McNeil's new book comes out :).

FirstLegion
08-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Only the coolest marines go to Tzeentch.

cco
08-27-2009, 08:34 AM
I find the Alpha Legion to be pretty cool( come on we get two primarchs, thats just awesome)

RandomX
08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
The XIVth Legion - Death Guard.

Followed closely by the XIIth Legion - World Eaters.

Now if GW would unass themselves and give us back our Legions....

-Eric

Madigan
08-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Alpha Legion and Iron Warriors are tied in my book for best Traitor Legion. Mainly, I like both because they manage to pull off an appropriately "chaotic" feel in their fluff and imagery without resorting to the use of actual daemons.

Denzark
08-27-2009, 11:50 AM
blood for the blood god!!!!

PedroKantor
08-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Death Guard, cause Im building an army at the moment..
Here is my dilemma though... So I want to convert the hell out of some Khorn Bezerkers and make em completely Nurgle'fied, ie rotted flesh, diseased, exposed bone, remove all Khorn marking whatsoever, etc, but still want them to have 'count as' Bezerkers. I know this will fly in friendly games, but not sure whether that would fly on the tournament scene? I say yes, just cause I want to do it, but I understand the no possibility too. thoughts????

MaidenManiac
08-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Emperors Children!

Powerarmoured rockers with distorted sonic weapons, whats not to like in that equation:D

Abuzorg
08-27-2009, 03:37 PM
To put it simply, the Thousand Sons are what got me into the hobby.

Pariah Stevo
08-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Emperor's Children, cuz they're better than you!

Chaos
08-27-2009, 05:46 PM
I play just a red and gold khorne warband but my favorite legion would have to be the world eaters closely followed by the deathguard

AsgeirArnald
08-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Thousand Sons because of their fluff, but I like the World Eaters too cuz they were my first army.

mountaincycle661
08-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Thousand sons are the marines that converted me to chaos....And now, im up to 4000 pts of 'em, including a huge magnus the red model and im cranking out a traitor IG army to go along with em! They have the best fluff, the coolest looking models, the most interesting characters....

....and the worst rules in the whole codex. :confused:

Playa
08-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Hey,

So what is your favorite Chaos Space Marine chapter?

As long as I have my Pedant Hat on . . .

Chaos Marines aren't organized into "Chapters".
Chapters are for for girls. And Loyalists.
We have Legions. There are nine.

My personal favorite is the Thousand Sons

That's one. But, Black "Legion" is not.
That's a term of endearment from Loyalists. And girls.
They're all in denial of the fact that the Luna Wolves yet live!

Now, if only my beloved Legio XIV had a radio button . . .

Playa

BlacknightIII
08-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Alpha Legion = Pirates + Ninjas + Politicians

Can you think of anything more evil or destructive?!?!

person person
08-31-2009, 06:12 PM
No, thats why there my favourite.

Also 'cause they got 2 primarchs who may still be alive and not in the warp, no-one knows what they're doing and they might still be loyal to the Emperor, which is just insane.

mono
09-01-2009, 03:20 AM
None, Chaos Marines didn't organize into Chapters like Loyalists currently do. I do have to say that my favorite CSM legion are the Night Lords...I think their fluff is good, their scheme is cool, and their modus operandi is so beautifully, disgustingly brutal that it's hard not to laugh like a vaudeville villain.

Jiggs
09-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Hey playa and mono read the poll question it says "legion" all I did was make a mistake on the title.

PlaguedOne
09-01-2009, 12:08 PM
When I first turned to Chaos, I would have told you the Night Lords. I loved the lightning on the armour as well as the background information. However, back then I was quick to discover that I just could not paint the lightning to my satisfaction. Shortly thereafter, I was swayed by Grandfather Nurgle and fell in love, er, despair.... with the Death Guard. I have been a loyal servant of Nurgle ever since.

I do still have dreams of combining the two armies since I am actually capable of painting the lightning these days.

CaptainLoken
09-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I am ALL about the Word Bearers. It's mostly about the Fluff. Fallen Chaplains, Daemon hosts, and some pretty cool history. I also have Ultramarines, so they make really good bad guys in a friendly home game.

Rahakanji
09-01-2009, 12:15 PM
my favorit Chapter(legion) is and ever will be: Night Lords
They are the mean little brothers of normal marins. They will do everything to win (not like those *****s with moral issues). And they still not heroic like other CSMs...

Squirrel_Fish
09-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Thousand Sons because they were attempting to learn about the Warp and were forced to turn traitor due to the Imperium misunderstanding their intentions (and Horus being a little sleaze ball).

bigmackdadd
09-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Black Leagion, I just love their fall from grace, and they almost had it too!!!

I actually really love the Luna Wolves, inparticularly reading Horus Rising

terricon4
09-01-2009, 08:55 PM
I think they all have some nice parts but I personally am an Iron Warriors fan.
I just like the ideas of siege and how the army is portrayed.
Nice color scheme too.

Tetz
09-01-2009, 09:00 PM
I think the Night Lords have the coolest look to them, but for me gotta go World Eaters.

colkillgore
09-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I wandered across the spectrum of the chaos powers and have armies dedicated to them all but my Death Guard have broken the 10k points level. I liked the 4th ed rules better but I still dig the 5th ed Death Guard.

Clothar
09-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Alpha Legion, because I like their color scheme (as it was once presented in a white dwarf), their way of engaging and the idea of using many crazy cultists!

RogueGarou
09-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Emperor's Children. They are deviant, twisted, and fun. They were my first favorite and became even more cemented as my favorite with the introduction of Noise Marines. The first Chaos Marine Legion I fell in love with and still one of my favorite Chaos Marine forces. Right up there with all of the others. :D My Chaos army is meant to represent the forces of a Black Crusade or similar coalition. I have squads painted in pre- and post- heresy colors. I have painted squads in one scheme and painted some squads to appear to be gathered from different Chapters or Legions. I also have painted a few models in the livery of loyalist Marine armies after I beat them to represent the dishonor of being felled by my Traitors. This was a jibe at my buddies and the folks at my old local game store back when we still had one here. It was fun to field a Chaos Marine painted up to resemble the other guy's army commander or another fellow's favorite sergeant model. Kind of a Mirror Universe thing. I haven't done that in a long, long time but I know two guys we game with now who are about to get the Traitor hazing. Maybe I'll give one of the models a goatee.

Brother Masariel
09-02-2009, 02:47 AM
alpha legion!
..before and after I read legion..cause they are the less demonic, more subtle and now they are even loyalists in disguise! :D
I'm actually working on a pre heresy army..

Funkenschlag
09-02-2009, 03:14 AM
I've always been a fan of the World Eaters. Ever since the days of Realms of Chaos and the brilliantly random, yet awesome, armies you could generate. Also I like red.

DreadlordRo
09-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Alpha Legion I love their use of nonstandard tactics perfect foil for the Ultramarines. Also the HH Book Legion made them even cooler.

Brother Mord
09-02-2009, 01:02 PM
This was a tough one.

I love the fluff, look and concept of the Death Guard. They just edged out the other choices.

I like the paint scheme and background of the Alpha Legion.

The idea that the Thousand Sons are empty suits of armor filled with the dust and souls of the Thousand Sons troopers was so cool I almost had to vote for them.

The word Bearers also are the opposite of my beloved Black Templars and I also love the background and look oif them also, close contender.

tinfoil
09-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I have to say Word Bearers, for fluff/narrative reasons. This is the legion that has imbibed chaos most deeply, most feverishly, most faithfully. This is a legion that reeks of chaos, that bathes in it. I like 40k's narrative background primarily due to its distinct blend of science and superstition -- its futuristic gothic vibe, and its impression of a haunted future. The Word Bearers embody and embrace that reality.

I do have to admit, the latest chaos codex makes playing this legion a pretty bland experience.
And then, of course, the legion has no legion-specific characters or models.
For authentic playability within the current 40K system and for model support, I'd rank Death Guard pretty high.

But in my own twisted mental universe? It's the Word Bearers who rule.

Prometheus
09-02-2009, 04:11 PM
My favorite traitor legion is the Death Guard. The reason include...

1.) Nurgle is the coolest chaos god. C'mon you gotta admit any god that like being called "Pappa" is pretty cool in my book.

2.) Zombies Rock!

3.) The Death Guard have some of the coolest Pre-Heresy stories. Including Mortarions childhood and eventual attempted overthrow of his "father". The Dusk Raiders fighting against the overtyrants on Barberous (or however you spell it).

4.) The fact that Thypus, the captain of the 1st company, is the one who turned the legion to Chaos not its Promarch Mortarion.

5.) The fact that Nurlge allows converters to go crazy! (And once I figure out how to upload photos on my army you will all see what I mean.)

Dia
09-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Iron Warriors.

Both the aesthetics and fluff appeal to me.

Lexington
09-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Definitely the Word Bearers. Not a big fan of how they've been portrayed by the Black Library (but, then again, when has the BL ever done a good job of anything?), but the concept of a Legion that holds to a perverse idea of religion as a necessary reign on man's nature is appealing to me, as are the consequences.

Carlsson
09-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Night Lords! Loved the idea of quick terrorizing attacks... by giant marines

Shadowseer
09-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Blood for the blood god!

Let the galaxy burn