PDA

View Full Version : 1500pts IG list, help needed

Duncndisorderly
12-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Im putting together an 1500pt IG list and as I've never used guard before Im not really sure as to what I should and shouldnt be looking to include. as a starter im going with the following
HQ
Company Command squad 50
Regimental std 15
Hvy Flamer 20
Meltagun 10
Chimera Transport 55

Lord Commisar 70
Powerfist 15

Elite
Ogryn Squad 130

Troop

Platoon Command Squad 30
Infantry Squad w/ grenade launcher, autocannon 65
Infantry Squad w/ grenade launcher, autocannon 65

Platoon Command Squad 30
Infantry Squad w/ grenade launcher, Lascannon 75
Infantry Squad w/ grenade launcher, Lascannon 75

Fast
Vendetta Gunship 130

Heavy
Leman Russ Vanquisher 155
Manticore 160
Squad of 2 leman Russ Battle tanks 150x2 =300

1455 Total

If im honest im going with these because there what i currently have but with xmas around the corner I may be looking to amke a few additions, all help appreciated, thanks

Sanguinary Dan
12-14-2010, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't bother giving the Lord Commissar a Power Fist. As an IC he can be picked out in CC and killed long before he gets to swing the Fist. Of course at a base I3 most folks are going before him anyway. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see the point in him at all. ;)

The exception would be a "Gaunt" style Commissar Lord with the Camo Cloak. Attached to a shooty blob (heavy weapons and GL or PG) that defends an objective or your artillery he's truly amazing.

A few additional points.
1) Always give your Cmd Squads (Company and Platoon) their maximum upgrades. For the cost of the Heavy Flamer you could buy 4 Flamers. And I'll take 4x S4 templates over a single S5 any day.

2) Ogryn that walk, die. Or at least never get where they're going without taking casualties. And unless you already have them I'm not so sold on their $$$ to game value ratio personally. The models aren't great and only 3 of them isn't really enough to make them dangerous.

3) Try and get some Meltas or Plasmas into your army to threaten heavy infantry and fast vehicles. As it stands you'd have to drop Battle Cannon shells next to your infantry to protect them from Assault Marines. And scatter with BS3 doesn't make that a good thing to try too many times.

4) The Vanquisher is... Meh. That many points for a single 50/50 to-hit is not a good bargain. A Demolisher or even another basic Russ would be better.

Duncndisorderly
12-15-2010, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the info Dan, if im understanding you correctly flamers are the way to go with a chimera for the Ogryns(yeah, i already got the models) Drop the Commisar to fund this vehicle and switch some grenade launchers out for plasma or meltas.
as for the vanquisher,it just appealed to my inner child, just look at the size of that barrel, yes bigger is always better BABOOOOM:rolleyes:

Sanguinary Dan
12-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Always take Flamers over the Heavy Flamer. Unless you've got more points than ways to spend them anyway.

Give the Power Fist to you Company Commander. He's not an IC so he might live long enough in the first round of to swing it and get some revenge for the other members of the CCS. This is particularly true if you beef up the squad size with Advisors. I use both Bodyguards and an Officer of the Fleet. Use some of the points to make your PC squads dangerous. They are where you can put some Meltas and some more GLs or even Flamers.

Just use the Vanquisher as the squadron commander in a normal Russ. And give him a Lascannon for those games where you do use him as a Vanq. Taking two shots is always better than one. And a Heavy Bolter is basically useless as an AT weapon.

And put Heavy Flamers in the Chimera's hull weapon mount. Way more effective than the HB.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Pity you already own the Ogryn. :p But you might want to consider dropping them for a Veteran Squad anyway. With 130 points you could get a really nice Vet squad to make use of the Vendetta's mobility. When you look at the bonuses of scoring and mission flexibility, I think you'll like them better.

ElCheezus
12-15-2010, 10:37 AM
First thing, I think, is to decide what you want the main component of the army to be. What I see is a gunline with two CC squads. Gunline these days isn't so hot, really. With infantry all getting the run move since 4th ed, things close into CC too fast for your shooting to take care of *all* threats before they reach you. So now you need mobility to either get out of the way, or get in their faces midfield.

What I see for this army is a blob infantry with long range support, instead of the focus being the other way around.

So, Power Weapons and Commissars in each Platoon, and combined squad them into 20-man units. The CCS, and both PCS should be supporting fire, to take out vehicles. I'd go with Meltas in all three. 3x in the CCS and 4x in the PCS. The extra special slot in the CCS can go to a P. Standard.

I haven't played Ogryn myself, but the infantry guard player in my FLGS has found that even with stubborn, they run away a lot. Putting the Lord Commissar in the group of Ogryn make a group that really supports blobs pretty well. Let's just say that in his experience, Ogryn have pounded terminators multiple times in that setup.

I agree with the anti-Vanquisher comments. It's too many points for a 50/50 shot, and paying for Pask just makes it ridiculous. I have seen it do good things, but that was only when the opponent kept lining up vehicles in front of it, and with lots of good rolls.

Here's what I'm seeing:

CCS, 3x Melta, P Standard: 95 pts
Lord Commissar, PF: 85 pts

Ogryn Squad: 130 pts

Platoon 1:
PCS 4x Melta: 70 pts
Infantry Squad, Commissar, 2x Power Weapons: 105 pts
Infantry Squad, Power Weapon: 60 pts

Platoon 2:
PCS 4x Melta: 70 pts
Infantry Squad, Commissar, 2x Power Weapons: 105 pts
Infantry Squad, Power Weapon: 60 pts

Vendetta Gunship, HB sponsons: 140 pts

LR Battle Tank: 150 pts
LR Battle Tank: 150 pts
Manticore: 160 pts

Total: 1380

That gives you a wall of two blobs and four supporting units on foot, with two LRBTs, a Manticore, and a Vendetta backing them up, plus some points to play with.

I could see adding a couple Chimeras, one for the CCS and one for a PCS, so you can send them ahead, issuing orders, and aplying Melta to incoming transports. The other PCS could go in the Vendetta, to be applied as needed, or it can stay on foot hiding in the blobs. You could also add more Ogryn.

How's that all suit you?

Duncndisorderly
12-16-2010, 03:34 AM
Seriously, many thanks to you both for taking the time to offer help its much appreciated and its helped me to clarify where I'm going with this list, ta