PDA

View Full Version : So, I need a new car...

MaltonNecromancer
12-15-2010, 12:31 PM
And know nothing about them. Thus, I (perhaps foolishly) turn to the internets for assistance.

What car would you recommend and why? It must be a new car, it has to be as fuel efficient as possible, and cost less than £10,000 ($15,600).

And no, I have no shame and couldn't care less how unfashionable I look. Until I can drive to work in a Leman Russ, I'll never have the car I truly want...

Faultie
12-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Fuel efficient and practical? I suggest this:
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/darcoarco/WM/a-smart-carstertruck.jpg

It might run a little more than £10k, but that'll be money well spent.

Gotthammer
12-15-2010, 12:46 PM
^ lol

I just picked up (as in a couple of weeks ago) the new VW Polo, and I think it works out in the budget. Definately worth a look as it's a very nice car.

Brass Scorpion
12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Toyota Corolla is about the highest quality, most fuel efficient car for the money. They last for a decade or more and rarely need a mechanical repair if you do the regular maintenance. The amount of features on them these days, including ABS and stability control, are great. Definitely been good for us time and time again.

Drew da Destroya
12-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I have a used 2004 Dodge Neon that was pretty cheap, gets decent gas mileage, and hasn't cost me a ton in maintenance. Probably not the best car you'll have suggested to you in this thread, but it's at least a mid-level performer.

Actually, I need to get my oil changed... it's probably been a good 6 months. Oops!

Aldramelech
12-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Ford Focus, never hear anything bad said about them and Clarkson swears by them.

scadugenga
12-15-2010, 09:56 PM
They can be a bit pricey--but Subaru has the best warranty on the market, and they have incredible resale value.

Edit: if you truly want fuel efficiency, there's always the smart car.

However, they are pretty much rolling coffins, imo. They might have good crash ratings, but something tells me you get hit by a SUV or worse, a lorrie (sp? I'm a yank...) and I can't picture you walking away from the crash.

Edmunds.com recommends the Mini as the best all around non-hybrid for fuel efficiency.