PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Tau with Dark Eldar

jorz192
12-16-2010, 12:17 PM
I live in an extremely rural area so I only have an opportunity to play one opponent. My brother who solely plays Tau. I have played a large variety of armies against him including
Blood Angels, Codex marines, Space Wolves, And Eldar

I usually come out with a win and I decided to start a new army, Dark Eldar.
I figured this would be a interesting match up of the fragile Dark Eldar vs. the
fire power of the Tau.

We play on a 48 by 48 board, usually play with 1500 points, abd use appropriate amounts of terrain.
We go for the throat and try to wipe each other off the board.

My question is can anyone give me advice and tips on what I should include in my army?

I have a decent amount of models available to me, I got him a used army with 60 fire warriors, 5 battlesuits and two tau skimmers for christmas and already gave it to him and with his older models he has plenty of
models to throw on the board.

The models I have available using both DE and Eldar models that I have are

20x Kabalite warriors
9xReavers
2x Raiders
1xFalcon
11x Eldar Rangers
20x converted dire avengers and guardians using KW parts
2x models that would work for venoms
8x scarab swarms which I think are the best thing in the game to represent
razorwing flocks
10x Hellions

Also two farseers, Yriel, and Jain Zar

I have some army lists made out but I am really interested in any ideas that
I could incorporate or just ponder for fun.

BlindGunn
12-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Well, I play both, though I haven't fought them against each other...

You can't count on your vehicles lasting more than Turn 2. All his firewarriors can glance Ravagers and will be more than capable of taking down Raiders, Venoms and Razorwings. Most of his weapons are Str 5. Also, if he takes "Warfish" (Devilfish with Smart Missile Upgrades), you can't hide from him as they don't need Line of sight.

So:

If he plays mostly infantry-based - High-speed flybys with the Reavers, followed by charging your warriors into CC ASAP. Chances are you will win (you'll certainly strike 1st) and you won't have to worry about his ranged weapons blowing right through your armour. Get into contact with his troops ASAP.

If he has lots of Crisis suits, volume of fire will help. Use splinter cannons from Venoms or Warrior squads against these. Reavers doing high-speed fybys will also trim some of these as well. Dark Lances and blasters after you've dealt with his skimmers. Again - into CC helps as you usually can overwhelm the crisis suits in CC and that's where some of his most dangerous shooting weapons are (Flamers, Plasma Rifles, Burst guns, Etc). If they're in CC, they can't shoot. Yes they are tougher, but they only have T4 and most will be I2. With no Close Combat Weapons (except Cmdr Farsight), they need to be free to be effective.

Skimmers - that's what the Dark Lances from your raiders are for! Take a Ravager too (use the Wave Serpent as a proxie) and keep moving around cover and shooting.

Good Luck!

DrLove42
12-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Give the ravager disinteragrators....that way, by forcing volume of ap2 wounds you can kill anything using shield drones, without needing to kill the shield drones!

deep striking suits will mess you up, so keep stuff mobile as you can

And just remember...until you get apin tokens, FW kill Warriors and Wyches on a 2+ to wound, with no armour save....

jorz192
12-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I was thinking about Baron Sathonyx? He would give the squad stealth. Also I was thinking of including some wracks for cannon fodder. I was thinking of filling one of the raiders with them and just setting them out as far as I can and he will need to commit some fire power against them.

I think I should Night shields and flicker fields for the raiders so they will have a little defence against some weaponry.

Also what do you think about a WWP? I was thinking about putting an Archon in a venom and getting him as far as I can across the board in the first turn and then using the WWP to bring more units on.

I think I would still want the raiders with some wracks to distract. What do you think of that?

And which would be better Wyches or Kabalite warriors?

I find creating an army list to be a big part of the fun of playing the game.