PDA

View Full Version : Crisis Suits - how to equip them?

Zagumus
12-18-2010, 12:54 PM
I have not played Tau since 4th edition (except one game) and I am working on my army list, trying to optimise my point expenditures. Reading these forums I have seen a lot of talk about giving the crisis suits twin linked missle pods (which fits my needs perfectly). The part I am questioning is the value of the targeting array on that unit.

If I field all three of the Crisis suits units with 3 twinlinked missle pods my hits break down like this.

Without targeting array (BS3): I take 18 shots and hit with 9 and then reroll the nine shots that missed to get 4.5 hits. Total of 13.5 hits

With the targeting array (BS4): I take 18 shots and hit with 12 and then reroll the six shots that missed to get 4 hits. Total of 16 hits

The targeting arrays cost 90 points (10 points per), but it is important to keep in mind that I am required to buy a 3rd upgrade.

If I wanted to go as cheap as possible I could give them blacksun filter (3 points per), with this option I would open up 63 points for the rest of the army and gives me a nice benefit when nightfighting is used.

Next up in the cheap line is the flamer (4 points per), with this option I have a dangerous all in option to take out hoards of troops. This one is not very appealing to me, generally I see the crisis suits as the backbone of my army and would prefer to move away from a troop threat and hit them with the missle launchers.

Last option (at least in my mind) is the target lock. If the unit is equiped this way I can possilby get more shots on vehicles. Here is how that works, you pick the three vehicles that your units would normally engage, they fire one crisis unit, each member firing at a different one of the three targets. If one of them disables or destroys the vehicle to your liking further crisis units are open to fire at new targets or focus on one of the other three targets. With this option you do not need to purchase three target locks so fo the sake of this discussion the third crisis will get a backsun filter. So at 13 points a unit it costs 39 points, a savings of 51 points over the targeting arrays.

So I keep asking myself 3 questions:
Is it worth saving 63 points to lose 2.5 hits a turn with my crisis suits?
Will I end up with the same amount of damage if I equip with target locks and save 51 points?
Or should I go with the targeting arrays?

I am hoping that some of you with more play experience can add some insight to help me with this decision.

DrLove42
12-18-2010, 01:01 PM
I've never really gone with Target Array....but if you are using the weapons build thats most common (missile pod and Plasma rifle) thats enough high strength shots to not worry about it

If you're using low shot weapons use it. If using high volumes don't

I personally am not an advocate of twinlinking...its a lot fo points sunk into no extra shots. |Definetly don't twinlink if you use the target array....

Feighan-Raask
12-18-2010, 05:45 PM
100% agreed with the above point, either go with twinlinked or the target array. Between the two I would go with the Cheaper as it allows for other upgrades throughout the army such as disruption pods for tanks and bonding knifes.

Uncle Nutsy
12-19-2010, 04:14 AM
Just a heads up, once you take a twinlinked weapon system, you've filled two of the three hardpoints. that targeting array fills the third.

Personally, When I really want to make my shots count, I equip it. even with something like a burst cannon. More shots hit means more potential wounds. We don't get a whole lot of rate-of-fire these days so we have to make every shot count.

It would be awesome if a twinlinked system filled only one hardpoint. I'd so rock the twinlinked missilepods with twinlinked burst cannon for horde duties. Or maybe dual twinlinked plasma guns. I can just see it now. a bunch of mini-broadsides* running around the battlefield laying waste to everything they look at. :D

But enough wishlisting out of me.

*mini meaning non railgun equipped suits.

Chexmix282
12-19-2010, 04:38 AM
I've found that there is two useful ways to equip Deathrain (TL MP) Crisis Suits.

a.) TL Missile Pod + Targeting Array (as mentioned above)

b.) TL Missile Pod + Flamer

The first choice is a very effective transport buster, and gives the Tau army some otherwise unavailable suppressing firepower.

The second choice gives the unit incredible duality, and while I've gone entire games without using the Flamers they are a very good insurance to have against foot horde armies (Orks, Nids, IG), where the Missile Pods simply wouldn't have enough shots to do enough damage. At one point more than a Blacksun Filter, I see no reason why they couldn't be afforded (and much more useful, IMO). This is the choice i have used for ages, although i have recently gone back to the Fireknife (PR, MP, MT) configuration for increased firepower.

It really does depend on playstyle however, and if you do not wish to be aggressive with your valuable Crisis Suits then i would stick with Targeting Arrays for increased reliability.

Nungunz
12-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Really there are only 3 different builds I take depending on a list:

1) Twin-Linked Missile Pod + Flamer
2) Twin-Linked Missile Pod + Targeting Array
3) Plasma Rifle + Missile Pod + Multi-tracker

Lerra
12-19-2010, 01:01 PM
I would add the Twin-linked Fusion Blaster/Flamer suicide suit to Nungunz list, otherwise I agree. Paired with deep strike and a pathfinder's Devilfish for re-rolling deep strike scatter, TL fusion suits are surprisingly good. A solo suicide suit is only 47 points, if you can spare the elite slot, and it has a 44% chance to pen a land raider. Not bad. The Positional Relay gives you good control over the timing, too, or you can use these cheap suits to keep more expensive units in reserve if you want.

For apocalypse, a large squad of these guys can be quite effective, too.

eagleboy7259
12-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Usually I only see Tau players fielding Fireknife suits - Plasma rifiles, missile pods, multi-trackers, Monat teams - 1 suit TL Fusion blaster & shield generator, or those close fire suits whatever tau players call them - burst cannon, flamer, multi-tracker. Fireknife are the most prevaliant

Dingareth
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Plasma/Missile every time on every suit. It can torrent infantry, suppress light armor, and crack open heavy infantry. The single best set up there is.

Smotku
12-20-2010, 11:38 AM
I have alomst all of my crisis suits loaded out with plasma rifle and missile pod. I have 2 suits with tl fusion for the suicide option. I use stealth suits for the burst cannon and fusion options. Depending on whether i run them as body guard or elites I try to get as many shots as possible and then equip to make those shots count. I put multitraker first then targeting array. I do everything possible to keep all my suits out of close combat except for the suicide fusion and that is only in larger games. The unfortunate thing is older codex. the run rule and the abundance of fnp and deepstriking options make Tau very difficult. You can only fall back so far. Also it is absurd that elite units have a bs of 3. In order for tau to be effective everyshot has to hit and damage.

Commander Vimes
12-20-2010, 10:55 PM
The best options for Deathrains are with either a flamer or targeting array.

My 1850 list has a lot of markerlights in it, so I can often up their ballistic skill anyway. If your list has plenty of markerlights then definitely go for the flamer. If you don't have many, then either is good. I don't use the flamers often, but every once in a while they pay off hugely.

Also, I don't think that 9 Deathrain suits is a very good idea. They are great for taking out light transports, but are kind mediocre for there points against most other targets. I think six is the maximum number before you start getting seriously diminishing returns.

Zagumus
12-28-2010, 02:18 PM
I have tried the Deathrain with target lock option in a few games and the target lock has not been very useful. I did get a little benefit from the blacksun filters.
Now I am running two deathrain squads, one with all blacksun filters and one with all flamers and a unit of stealth suits instead of the third crisis suit unit.

steelmage99
12-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Fireknife and Deathrain. Done and done.