PDA

View Full Version : 1500 SM General Purpose

Spanklet
08-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Here is a general purpose 1500 Codex SM tourney army work in progress.

When reviewing, try to avoid changing it to the point that it cannot fight a certain race of enemy as it will lose its general purpose theme.

I abstained from the usual SM rhino rush. As much fun as that kind of army is, most people plan their list to kill transports right out of the gate and if you see all the anti armor in my list, i'm no different.

The Lotd and Asslt termies (Libby attached) DS.

This army is not supposed to act in any one 'set in stone' way. Depending on the scenario, the scouts can infiltrate or outflank and the DS can land anywhere the situation warrants. I will probably break the SG into two squads at deployment though.

I am on the fence regading dropping an attack bike for a storm and maybe dropping a few anti-armor for a little more flame. Please understand how legion of the Damned work b4 commenting on them though.

HQ:
Space Marine Librarian 140 pts
(Terminator Armour; The Gate of Infinity; Vortex of Doom; Force Weapon; Psychic Hood; Storm Shield)

ELITE:
Terminator Assault Squad 280 pts
6 Terminator Assault Squad (Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x6)
1 Sergeant (Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x1)

Legion of the Damned Squad 360 pts
9 Legion of the Damned Squad (Bolt Pistol x9; Bolter x8; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Multi-Melta)
1 Sergeant (Bolt Pistol x1; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Fist)

Sternguard Veteran Squad 300 pts
9 Sternguard Veteran Squad (Bolt Pistol x9; Bolter x4; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Special Issue Ammunition; Combi-Meltagun x5)
1 Sergeant (Bolter; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Special Issue Ammunition; Power Fist)

TROOPS:
Scout Squad 90 pts
4 Scout Squad (Bolt Pistol x4; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Camo Cloaks; Sniper Rifle x4)
1 Sergeant (Bolt Pistol; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Camo Cloaks; Sniper Rifle)

Scout Squad 90 pts
4 Scout Squad (Bolt Pistol x4; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Camo Cloaks; Sniper Rifle x4)
1 Sergeant (Bolt Pistol; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Camo Cloaks; Sniper Rifle)

Scout Squad 90 pts

FAST ATTACK:
Attack Bike Squad 50 pts
1 Attack Bike Squad (Bolt Pistol x1; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Multi-Melta x1)
1 Space Marine Bike

Attack Bike Squad 50 pts
1 Attack Bike Squad (Bolt Pistol x1; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Multi-Melta x1)
1 Space Marine Bike

Attack Bike Squad 50 pts
1 Space Marine Bike

GreenMarines
08-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Have you ever thougt of giving your scout sergeants RL (you could get the points by droping one Terminator). For me it worked very well. You have one shot with S8 P3 which means some long range fire vs vehicles and a lot of strength heavy creatures have only 3+saves.

ThePov
08-27-2009, 07:28 AM
If you are planning on using the Libby to Gates the Termies around, remember that since they count as having entered from deep strike, they cannot assault on a turn they Gate. Personally, I'd drop the Libby for a Chaplain, to give them that much more bite in CC.

Chumbalaya
08-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Your Troops are too soft, Sternies walking isn't a good idea (out of range for a while, easy to kill), LotD are overpriced, and the single threatening unit on the board is deep striking so may not show up until Turn 5 or can mishap horribly.

If you want to Deep Strike, bring pods.

mkerr
08-27-2009, 08:58 AM
@Spanklet: I'm worried that your army is too spread out: infiltrating scouts, walking marines, deep striking units and bikes. You aren't able to focus a substantial amount of power where you need it. That's going to make it tough for you to deal with "must kill" enemy units.

2. I'm not a huge fan of Librarians as a sole HQ. For 35 more points, you can have Pedro Kantor which makes your army Stubborn (fixing your potential leadership problems, making your Sternguard scoring and giving everyone within 12" an extra attack). Definitely worth the extra points.

3. Terminators are great units in 1500pt games, especialy TH/SS Terminators. I'd go with a 5 or 6 man unit to save some points.

4. I find LotD to be too expensive for a 1500pt list. I think they are fun and colorful, but just not worth the points in a tournament army. For 100 points LESS than your LotD, you can have an 8-man Sternguard squad in a Drop Pod (with Pedro) that will be MUCH more effective than the LotD.

5. Your Sternguard squad needs a transport badly. They aren't more resilient than normal marines but they are a lot pricier. I recommend Drop Pods, but any transport will work. Five combi-meltas is overkill for 1500pts.

6. Consider a Teleport Homer on one (or two) of these scout squads. It will give you a lot more options with your Terminators.

7. I like missile launchers in my scout squads. They are most likely to get side and rear shots -- and they can deal with transports and light armor.

8. I'm not sure you really need camo cloaks on these guys, no one is going to shoot at a 5-man scout squad.

9. The attack bikes are really out of place and they don't have any screening units (like transports). That means they are going to hide most of the game and dash out and take out a tank.

There are elements that are really nasty, but it just doesn't seem focused. I'm all about versatile armies (because 40k is like a box of chocolates, you know), but this army just doesn't have a strong core and will get picked apart by a good player.

Once you settle on an army, please post it and let us know how it plays! Best of luck!

-- mkerr

TheKingElessar
08-27-2009, 09:28 AM
The Scouts are scoring, so, without Pedro, I'll happily shoot them all day long, and force him to play for the draw.

Spanklet
08-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the input !!

Im having a hard time dropping the Lotd due to the 3+ invulnerabilty saves and their 2 attacks, relentless and DS scatter dice re-roll but I may have to reduce them due to cost.

Getting a Rhino for the SG may be nice but they will be deploying split. So maybe one can ride the other can use the rhino for cover. But chances are they will be setup in cover split. Im also looking at a conventional LRaider entry for the asslt terms but that will force me to change the army list around it.

As far as the scouts, they are being ticks that are hard to dislodge from an objective area. With the 2+ cover save gained from camo cloaks and going to ground so the missile launchers were passed on. I still might get them the launchers if I can during one of the restructurings this list will go through as it is nice having them.

The two DS units will be for grabbing the nearest objective that the Sternguards will be covering with thier guns. The liiby can then leapfrog to the next one and then the LotD could take a the sternguards old rhino when they ready to move. Ill have to drop some LotD to pay for the rhino tho so well see how that goes. One of them may have to spend a turn running ;p

As it stands I probably will get either the LotD or the termies on turn 2 or 3 (which is fine) but waiting till turn 4 or later to get the other unit is not good. I may have to trim the LotD or something to get a LR for the termies. Hope I dont run into any lance weapons. lol.

Oh and mkerr, I love Sternguards... do you have a link to a 1500 you would tourney?

TheKingElessar
08-27-2009, 10:39 AM
While you SHOULD always have cover available, I don't think it reliable to assume you WILL always have it in your plans.

YMMV.

VinceBlack
08-27-2009, 10:46 AM
1500 point game 7 terminators with a librarian is mega overkill. I love using the librarian to gate the squad around but just 5 is more than enough, people are aleady going to avoid that unit like the plague.

TheKingElessar
08-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Unless those 7 make it harder to avoid, which is win-win. lol

Spanklet
08-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Yeah, ill probably need to:

Get that SG a rhino but that means I cant split it and I really need that firepower dispersed. I am imagining a Basilisk round hitting the whole squad..ugh

Sooo I could get two 5 man SG with each in razorback but that only leaves libby and his termie pals to do all the CC... unless I use money gained from dumping the LotD to get a backup assualt squad or two.

But that LotD has incredible staying, CC and blasting power so it would kinda suck to lose them but thems the breaks in the %#!& world of 1500. ' grumble'