PDA

View Full Version : 1500 IG all comers list, any input welcome

hewhowalks
12-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Just wanted to post my 1500 all comers list. I'll admit there's parts that aren't terrilby original, but any recommenations are appreciated.

HQ1
Company Command
-plasma guns x3
-plasma pistol
-medic
-astropath
-chimera (ML/HF)

HQ2
Primaris Psyker
(attached to plasma vets in chimera below)

Elite1
Marbo

Elite3
psyker battle squad (7psykers and overseer)
chimera (ML/HF)

Troop1
Vet Squad
-Three meltas
-chimera (ML/HF)

Troop2
Vet Squad
-Three meltas
-chimera (ML/HF)

Troop3
Vet Squad
-Three Plasma
-chimera (ML/HF)

Troop 4
Vet Squad
-Two meltas
(rides in Vendetta)

Fast1
Vendetta

Heavy1
Vanilla Leman Russ (HF)

Heavy2
Vanilla Leman Russ (HF)

My local meta is lots of melee MEQ (including necron, chaos and wolves). Not a lot of all-mech armies in my area, but usually a few transports on the table. Horde armies are just common enough to need a plan for them at tourney.

I ususally drive a mech wall of chimeras with the russes lumbering behind. With the help of the astropath, I outflank the vendetta with a team of vets and marbo's in the list for player psychology (and for fun). I LOVE the battle choir,using them to demoralize whatever unit has taken at least 25% casualties.

Seems like most units work well, but I could stand to swap Marbo and the russes out for something else.

I'm still pretty new to 40k, having returned to the game about a year ago. People who commonly play me are learning to ignore Marbo and shoot the Battle Choir. I win about 75% of friendly games and tend to get my butt kicked pretty bad at tourneys. So I'll consider any changes.

all help appreciated

ElCheezus
12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
First off, the Medic isn't worth it just to save yourself from plasma burns. If you had a unit fully kitted out for assault, then I've seen it do some good, but otherwise it's a waste of points. There's probably going to be argument in the other direction, but I'm tired of the debate.

If you're not seeing heavy mech in your meta, then I think you've got too much Melta. For up to AV12, Plasma can do some good damage. Actually, if you're out of melta but within 12", Plasmas get more damage results (an extra glance per three weapons) on AV 12. If you're shooting Rhinos or lower AV, they pull further ahead. Of course, if you can get into Melta range, then things ovbiously change. Plus, against MEQs, the extra shot is definitely worth it. End of day, I'd switch up your Melta/Plas ratio.

Marbo is good as disruption, but I like to pair him with even more disruptive elements, like DSing Storm Troopers or Penal Legion Squads. This creates a number of things that your opponent suddenly has to worry about. Without support, though, I'd only use him to take up spare points.

I like outflanking Valkyries, but I don't like outflanking Vendettas. 3 TL LasCannons need to be firing from the get-go. Also, if you don't outflank the Vendetta, you don't need the Astropath. So that saves you some points

The PBS is one man away from instant killing T4 models. My theory has always been to have 6 psykers in that squad. It wounds a vast majority of infantry on 2s, and is enough to lower the Ld of most enemies to a 1/12 or lower chance of passing a morale.

So: I'd make the CCS take 3x Melta instead of any Plasmas. Compared to Veterans, I'd rather send my CCS in early with meltas, since they don't score. The Veterans can come with Plasmas to clean up and then take objectives. 3x melta for the CCS is enough to consistently do damage, and saves some points. By all means, though, add the 4th melta if you have leftovers.

My experience with the IG Psykers as a whole has been that if the opponent has *any* defense, they get shut down. That depends heavily on your meta, though. If you face Eldar or any army with PHoods, more than a quarter of the time, I'd consider taking them all out unless they're wrecking house with the other armies.

That's my two cents for the moment.