PDA

View Full Version : Shotguns; Should Vet IG use them......

miker
08-27-2009, 06:22 AM
instead of Lasguns?

Abominable Plague Marine
08-27-2009, 06:25 AM
Depends if there are any Commissars in the Regiment. "Where is your Lasgun soldier"? "......" BLAM!!!

I'll let someone else MathHammer it for you.

Schnitzel
08-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Depends on if you want to assault or not. If you're moving within 12 inches of a unit on purpose, expect HtH either on by your choice or your opponant. Therefore, unless you can destroy the opposing unit with rapid fire lasguns, its better to pack shotguns. At least thats my take on it.

grimm
08-27-2009, 07:46 AM
If you're planning on moving, there's no difference, range wise.

At that point, if your intention is assaulting, you go from having the sergeant's pistol + potentially 3 special weapons (non-plasma) + possible independent character shooting to having the pistol + potentially 3 special weapons + 6 - 9 shotguns thinning the herd.

Give this sergeant a power fist.

TheKingElessar
08-27-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm a fan. They're cool, without losing anything. My Vets won't be 13-24" away from you long enough to require range.

Plus, if I can charge a squad that won't beat me evade enemy fire, I will!

crazyredpraetorian
08-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I use them. It's nice to have the option of firing before a charge.

DoctorEvil
08-27-2009, 09:58 AM
As people have said, it depends on what you plan on using your Vets for.

I have a squad with a Power Fist, Meltas and Shotguns. They need to be close to use those Meltas, so I'm assuming that sooner or later they're going to be on Assault, whether they choose to or not, thus the PF/Shotguns.

Otherwise, Lasguns work just fine (and require less conversion work)

Lord Inquisitor
08-27-2009, 10:02 AM
I gave my Vets with 3 meltas and Bastonne shotguns and fly them around in a Valkyrie. I sort of regret it because now I cant use FRFSRF on them when I'm not using Bring It Down. Which is what I usually use though.

Schnitzel
08-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I gave my Vets with 3 meltas and Bastonne shotguns and fly them around in a Valkyrie. I sort of regret it because now I cant use FRFSRF on them when I'm not using Bring It Down. Which is what I usually use though.

I thought you can't use orders on units in transports....?

grimm
08-27-2009, 11:29 AM
@ Schnitzel -

You can't order an embarked unit. Of course, you can't shoot out of a Valkyrie either.

I'm assuming that the tactic is to pop out of the Valkyrie, use Bastonne's order and then shoot the crap out of whatever you've dropped in front of. If it's a monstrous creature with toughness 6, you're likely still wounding on sixes, but the extra lasgun shot helps you attain the extra wound (mhammered, you go from 12 lasgun shots [six mooks] to 18 lasgun shots. You will wound 1 in 9 times - from a purely mathematic standpoint, you go from 1.25 wounds to a solid 2 with FRF SRF).

TheKingElessar
08-27-2009, 11:39 AM
I assume the BID is more for the Melta.

Aldramelech
08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Love my FW shotgun vets! Working on them right now...........

Schnitzel
08-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Love my FW shotgun vets! Working on them right now...........

How you doing your shotguns by chance? I've seen a few different methods to making them from lasguns. I just hack off my scout shotties and transfer them over to my vets.

TheKingElessar
08-27-2009, 06:07 PM
If they're FW ones with Shotguns already, that isn't an issue, lol.

Eyespy
08-27-2009, 06:47 PM
My take is that you should use shotguns whenever you equip your squad with assult weapons, and lasguns for rapidfire weapons.

So Flamers, meltas and grenades get shotguns, plasma gets lasguns. Plasma dosent get enough love for my $0.02.

How you doing your shotguns by chance? I've seen a few different methods to making them from lasguns. I just hack off my scout shotties and transfer them over to my vets.

Try this thread (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=834). It has a number of good ideas for conversions from basic to complex.

grimm
08-27-2009, 10:40 PM
You know that the only special weapon that is rapid fire is plasma, yeah?

Eyespy
08-27-2009, 11:26 PM
You know that the only special weapon that is rapid fire is plasma, yeah?

You saw nothing.

Nothing!

Aldramelech
08-27-2009, 11:48 PM

I brought the Forgeworld Hardened Veterans Upgrade, Shotguns included:D

Slann
08-27-2009, 11:49 PM
The shotties are great I use a squad of each just too mix it up model wise , in the long run its really whatever you feel like the extra you get from either one is so minimal it really dont matter , use what you think is cooler .

go with pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM!!!! chic chic BLAM !!!!!!! .

Aldramelech
08-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Sooooooo Fed up with being steam rollered by my regular Ork opponent.

Solution? 2 veteran squads:

Sgt. Plas Pistol, Power Sword.................. Sgt. Power fist, Plas Pistol
Autocannon Team............................... Autocannon Team
Hvy Flamer ...................................... Hvy Flamer
Flamer............................................ Flamer
Grenade launcher.............................. Grenade Launcher
Demo Charge................................... Demo Charge
4 Shotguns ..................................... 4 Shotguns

All with Frag, Krak and Melta bombs.

I'm taking the fight to him!!!!!!!!! lol

Schnitzel
08-28-2009, 01:51 AM

Nice!
I'm thinking I'll be running something more like...
GySgt Harker
Flamer x4 (or is it three?)
Demo Charge
Shotguns to fill it out.

Template spam. <3
If I need to kill a tank... which odds are these guys will be dead before I ever get the chance.... I'll try to make for assaulting it. They're gonna attract a lot of attrition. ><;;

j-orge-287
08-28-2009, 08:54 AM
You can't benefit from First rank fire Second rank fire order. But you can assault but IG aren't the best in assault. Sure you can take a single power fist or sword but you will need more attacks and WS and S are to low to make the assault worth it.

I don't think shotguns are any good, use normal lasguns

Schnitzel
08-28-2009, 10:07 AM
You can't benefit from First rank fire Second rank fire order. But you can assault but IG aren't the best in assault. Sure you can take a single power fist or sword but you will need more attacks and WS and S are to low to make the assault worth it.

True, however if you've whittled the opposing squad down enough assaulting may be a good option. It could even increase to lifespan of your squad too. Play the numbers right and you should be finishing the assault on your opponents turn and leaving you free to wreck havok with your guys again on your turn.

Col_Festus
08-28-2009, 10:27 AM
I used to have a squad that had shotguns in it with a power fist sarg. Ive found their first charge is always their last =p. I also like the versatility you get if you want to FSFSRF with that BS 4.

Xas
08-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I use shotguns on my meltavets.

3 meltaguns, democharge, pitol/powersword, 5 shotguns charging next to straken produced minced meat from allmost everything.

Aldramelech
08-28-2009, 11:03 AM

If I join those two together thats Two large templates, two small templates, four flame templates, 16 shotgun shots, 2 Plas pistol shots before I even hit! I'll take my chances........:rolleyes:

TheKingElessar
08-29-2009, 05:10 AM

Not if you want to shoot those Autocannons you aren't! lol

As fro the Harker suggestion, IIRC, his squad doesn't become Relentless too...so even though he can charge, they can't. So he can't.

Aldramelech
08-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Not if you want to shoot those Autocannons you aren't! lol

As fro the Harker suggestion, IIRC, his squad doesn't become Relentless too...so even though he can charge, they can't. So he can't.

Thats to kill his Deffcopters on turn 1:D

Slann
08-30-2009, 11:50 AM
you can take a priest to improve there chaces in assault and you get another fist .

Aldramelech
08-30-2009, 12:59 PM
you can take a priest to improve there chaces in assault and you get another fist .

Was going to have a Lord Commissar hanging around for that extra encouragement lol

TheKingElessar
08-30-2009, 02:19 PM
S6 Fists really aren't all that.

Aldramelech
08-31-2009, 09:49 AM
S6 Fists really aren't all that.

Better then a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! ;)

Glocknal
09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
The P-fist is a nice addittion after a 12 shotgun, 3 meltas, and possibly a demo charge. Most marine squads will be severely crippled after that round of shooting. Making the charge a better idea.

Little Brother
09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Glad I spotted this, I have been umming and ahhing about whether to convert a squad of vets with shotguns. So many people have said they are uesless. Clearly you lot have had better experiences with them. Eat this, Clack, Clack, BOOM.

dmlachap
09-01-2009, 08:07 PM
In my opinion, shotguns are bad. Real bad. the only foreseeable advantage to shotguns is if you're going to assault in the same turn as firing a shotgun, but I don't see the IG (even if they're veterans) excelling in an assault unless they're fighting fire warriors close up.

Stick to the better options they have... they have a lot of them.

If you're going for assault, just give them flamers or something.

TheKingElessar
09-01-2009, 08:34 PM
They replace the Lasguns.