PDA

View Full Version : 2250 VC Tournament List (With Frostblade!)

The Plastic Surgeon
08-27-2009, 07:27 AM
What do you all think?

Vampire Lord & Wight King go into the big block of 8 Black Knights, the other Vampire goes into the 5 Black Knights and the one on foot into the 14 Ghouls and leads them. Thought about a Helm of Commandment for him, but guaranteed Van Hels is too good to pass up.

2250 Pts - Vampire Counts Roster - 2250 VC Comp Scored Tournament

Vampire Lord (1#, 455 pts)
. . 1 Vampire Lord @ 455 pts (General; Vampire; Level 3 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Lance; Undead)
. . . . 1 Frostblade
. . . . 1 Dread Knight (Barding)
. . . . . . 1 Nightmare
. . . . 1 Forbidden Lore
. . . . 1 Infinite Hatred
. . . . 1 Summon Creatures of the Night

Lord of the Barrows (1#, 255 pts)
. . 1 ~[(^One or more selected options present a potential usage conflict]×~[(#]Wight King (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 255 pts (Barding; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer; Undead)
. . . . 1 Skeletal Steed
. . . . 1 The Drakenhof Banner

Vampire (1#, 198 pts)
. . 1 Vampire @ 198 pts (Vampire; Hand Weapon; Undead)
. . . . 1 Nightmare
. . . . 1 Sword of Might
. . . . 1 The Flayed Hauberk
. . . . 1 Red Fury

Vampire (1#, 190 pts)
. . 1 Vampire @ 190 pts (Vampire; Hand Weapon; Undead)
. . . . 1 The Cadaverous Cuirass
. . . . 1 Book of Arkhan
. . . . 1 Ghoulkin
. . . . 1 Summon Ghouls

Crypt Ghouls (14#, 120 pts)
. . 13 Crypt Ghouls @ 120 pts (Causes Fear; Poisoned Attacks; Undead)
. . . . 1 Crypt Ghast

Crypt Ghouls (15#, 128 pts)
. . 14 Crypt Ghouls @ 128 pts (Causes Fear; Poisoned Attacks; Undead)
. . . . 1 Crypt Ghast

Crypt Ghouls (15#, 128 pts)
. . 14 Crypt Ghouls @ 128 pts (Causes Fear; Poisoned Attacks; Undead)
. . . . 1 Crypt Ghast

Dire Wolves (5#, 50 pts)
. . 4 Dire Wolves @ 50 pts (Fast Cavalry; Undead)
. . . . 1 Doom Wolf

Dire Wolves (5#, 40 pts)
. . 5 Dire Wolves @ 40 pts (Fast Cavalry; Undead)

Squad (1#, 100 pts)
. . 1 Corpse Cart @ 100 pts (Balefire)

Black Knights (8#, 309 pts)
. . 7 Black Knights @ 309 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Undead)
. . . . 1 Hell Knight (Barding; Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield)
. . . . 1 The Banner of the Barrows
. . . . 8 Skeletal Steed

Black Knights (5#, 215 pts)
. . 4 Black Knights @ 215 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Undead)
. . . . 1 Hell Knight (Barding; Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield)
. . . . 1 Royal Standard of Strigos
. . . . 5 Skeletal Steed

Fell Bats (3#, 60 pts)
. . 3 Fell Bats @ 60 pts (Flyer; Undead)

Validation Report:
Edition: 7th Edition; Game Type: Normal Game; Army Subtype: Vampire Counts Army
Roster satisfies all enforced validation rules

Total Roster Cost: 2248

Created with Army Builder - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com

Randroid
08-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Well the Van Hel's is not a guarantee - you can still burn it out and it can be dispelled.

The Plastic Surgeon
08-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Haha, spot the 40K player dipping his toes into Fantasy... thanks for that Randroid.

Anything crucially missing, out of whack with the list? More optimal suggestions?

The Plastic Surgeon
08-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Haha, spot the 40K player dipping his toes into Fantasy... thanks for that Randroid.

Anything crucially missing, out of whack with the list? More optimal suggestions?

Randroid
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Well I see plenty of things I would change, but as far as sub-optimal I would say you should go with one unit of 10 Dire Wolves. Those units of 5 will get blasted off the board pretty quick and crumble in CC. If you want to use it as a challenge pit you will want the unit of 10 with Doom Wolf.

a ghost
09-01-2009, 04:12 PM
TPS and I have been going over other aspects of a similar list elsewhere. But a thought occurred to me:

So, my "Dog-star" got Ld Bombed by a Slaaneshi list in a tournament the other day. I've been looking for answers since. Frostblade is cute, but how do we make it work? In a Deathstar, you have 3 characters to make things interact.

The BSB is central in the maintenance of the Regen save. It's best carried by a Wight King, unless points are no object.

The Lord with the Frostblade needs Hatred for the rerolls. While this could be gained from the Banner of Strigoi, a more stable approach is Infinite Hatred. What occurred to me was the possibility of a "reverse Ld bomb", in the form of Beguile on the Lord. The rerolls to wound could make a HUGE difference vs. DoC or anyone else, when using the Frostblade.

The 3rd character needs to be supportive, and flesh out the list. One option would be to enhance the reverse bomb with the -1Ld aura. But at 50pts, this would mean that armor and weapons would need to come out of magic item points. Alternatively, one could select Bloodrinker in order to ensure that the Lord stays topped off on wounds. But this forces the selection of Angel of Death or Dread Knight for protection.
The concept of a "reverse Ld bomb" might be awkward. But it just might work.

Thoughts?

Randroid
09-01-2009, 05:42 PM
I think beguile works well with Frostblade, especially if you have the movement to get where you are needed with your Lord.

The Plastic Surgeon
09-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I take it that a LD bomb is one that kills the enemie's LD in CR?

Vlad
09-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Well, considering your roster- you must decide, what kind of lord exactly do you want- fighty/killy or sneaky/castin'?
The combinations work bad, concentrate on one and only aspect.
Second, I would advise strongly against putting lord into regen blacs. Their greatest strengh is in ethereal movement (under macabre- its game-winning), And any vampire robs them of it. When playing vanps, you should concentrate on their strong sides and maximise them to win. Try running a banner of barrows+helm combo- 2+ to hit blacks are awesome!
Also, if you have minies, try to xchange volves with the extra fellbats- they are way nastier

a ghost
09-02-2009, 06:06 AM
One further argument for Fell Bats > Wolves; they have no need to march, so their movement is unimpeded when not close to the General or a vamp.

As to the Slaaneshi Ld Bomb, it's a lovely combo that lowers your leadership by -2 (or -4 with the Masque), and then forces your model to roll for Ld in order to attack the Deamon or the Herald. This is awkward, even for Lords.

Thus, the intent of the "reverse Ld Bomb" is to ensure that as least one unsaved wound sneaks through during those times when you do get to attack. Since the Major Deamons are multi-wound models, the Frostblade could be used to maximum effect. In theory, the -1Ld aura that VC have available to them could stack with Beguile. But that's an expensive and thus fragile combo.

Vlad
09-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Well,greaters (not khorne) could be blocked with nice big block of macabred gguards long enough for the rest of the army to take their points back

necromancy
09-22-2009, 03:25 PM
well first of ill say that black nights 2 biggest addvantage are etherial movement and fear so making one big unit with out a vamp in it but with the bsb will be hard as nails to kill.

with the ghoulkin abbility your vamp is very fast any way so in a unit of nights might be a waste of 25 presious powers

i think a better idea is to give the vamp lord red fury inf. hatred walking death it means he can ealy cut down lots of troops as well as kill big things easaly. (rember the 2nd round of attacks can be agains new targets if hes not in a chalange and against monsterous mounts if he is). and will buff up the squad hes in

other easy swap outs are an extra attack with red fury. vamps are bace str5 so an extra attack will do better against n T3 blokes and most T4 ones as well.

with the points saved on the block nights id proly invest in bigger ghoul units as you mostlikely wont get alot of casting off for ghouls back. and id mostlikly try and get anouther corpsecart with bale fire in just becase the extra -1 makes a much bigger impact on how many dice you need for spells. also a scrole or tow wouldent be a bad thing.

The Plastic Surgeon
09-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the tips Necro in this thread and the other one! I've done more toying around since I posted this and I'll do more tweaking and post something up later today :)

So you recommend big Black Knights? How big? I thought of a list with 2 Wight Kings in a one big Black Knight unit (one as BSB and the other Sword of Kings and Nightshroud) and I really want to fit in Blood Knights because they look awesome! I know they're a liability especially to novice players to the army or WFB (worse!) and you really need to use wolves to keep them at bay, which then kicks up their 'premium' so to speak. A Vargulf is a better buy for the points with Cairn Wraiths with Banshee. Oh and I really should have Grave Guard somewhere, put points points points! LOL!