PDA

View Full Version : Display Board question

Lednera
08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi guys I was wondering were can I find semi or official rules for the limitations on the size of a display board for an army at a typical tournament? All I need is rough estimates what sounds as acceptable. Thanks.

Aventine
08-27-2009, 01:31 PM
There is no standard, and, personally, I have have never heard of any such restrictions being used. Whatever fits your army.

Culven
08-27-2009, 01:38 PM
I have never heard of restrictions on a display board. It has no in-game effect, and for judging the appearance, the judges should be looking at the models, not their display.

I would suggest that the board be no more than 24" x 24". This will allow it to sit in one of the unused corners of an 8' x 4' table when using only 6' of the length, leaving some space of one's opponent to place their display board in the other corner.

Lednera
08-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the help I was looking online and some were saying no more then 24 inches so I was wondering if that was an official rule beyond common courtesy for the other players at a tournament.

Culven
08-27-2009, 03:11 PM
If the Tournament rules state a size limit, then that would be a tournament rule. Tournaments can require anything they choose, and it doesn't just apply to the armies. They can cover any issue that could come up.

Mike Dunford
08-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Good to know. I've got a Realm of Battle, so the next time I need a display board, I'll probably paint, flock, and bring one of the 24x24 panels. My orks will probably fit.

fade_74
08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Most tourneys don't have a size restriction. But things like GenCon have one, or at least they did last time I was there.

nojinx
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I found it advantageous to have my display board be my movement tray, so that I can use it to move my army from table to table during tournaments.

mkerr
08-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi guys I was wondering were can I find semi or official rules for the limitations on the size of a display board for an army at a typical tournament? All I need is rough estimates what sounds as acceptable. Thanks.

As others have mentioned, there are no size restrictions on a display board but there are some things you should think about before you build it.

A good display board also serves as a tray to carry your army from table to table in a tournament. So you are going to want to make sure the board is small enough to carry and store during a game (it should fit under the table and still give you room to move). You want to make sure that the models are stable - I recommend magnets on the bases and some metal in the tray. And you want to make sure that every model/unit has a clearly marked location on the tray so you can put the model where it goes as you take casualties in a game (this is a HUGE time saver in tournaments).

Finally, make sure that it's sturdy but not too heavy. It's going to get a lot of wear and tear so you don't want a lot of flimsy pieces pieces, like trees, on the board. Also consider where you are going to store it between tournaments before you build it.

-- mkerr

crazyredpraetorian
08-28-2009, 08:26 PM
As an IG player, I needed a larger display board to accomodate my vehicles and troops. the on I made is a little on the large side. Goatboy suggested a tiered board. I am going to look into that.......and as mkerr said magnets are your friend.