PDA

View Full Version : Considering IG mech hybrid for 1850

ElCheezus
12-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm considering scaling up my 1500 IG list (posted previously) to 1850 for a tournament. However, I think I've got enough Chimeras on the table, and need to shore up my weakness against Hordes. (Flamers are good and all, but I want a bit more to fall back on, and I'm geared more toward medium-heavy infantry and vehicles.)

So here's what I'm looking at:

CCS 3x Melta: 80

Melta Troopers in a Chimera: 160
Melta Troopers in a Chimera: 160

Plasma Vets in a Chimera: 170

PCS 4x Flamers: 50
Power Blob: 165 (commissar and 3x PW)
Power Blob: 165 (commissar and 3x PW)

Vendetta w/ HB sponsons: 140
Vendetta w/ HB sponsons: 140

Colossus: 140
Colossus: 140

The Chimera-bound units and the Vendettas are almost exactly as my 1500 list. The CCS dropped a Chimera and will hang out in a Vendetta, while the PCS takes the other. I plan on running the blobs as a second line, behind the Vets, to serve as counter-charge if anything threatens my forward line. This way they can also protext the Colossi. The Colossi are one of my favourite artilery pieces, and should do a good ammount of shelling to get enemy units out of cover. The army is pretty aggressive, so I'm not too worried about their minimum range.

Anyway, that's my current thought on 1850 hybrid, and I'm open to suggestions.

Commander Vimes
12-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm guessing the blobs are twenty men? I think adding some special or heavy weapons to them could help. Flamers would help against hordes and Autocannons would give you some long range anti-light vehicle firepower that you're a bit weak on. I think the easiest place to free up points for this would be on the Vendettas heavy bolters.

ElCheezus
12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm actually very opposed to putting shooty weapons into blobs (yes, these are of 20). Flamers would be the exception, though. The special weapons are too expensive to put a single shot into BS 3 hands when I pay the same amount to give them to Vets.

Heavy weapons, in the case of a power blob, will probably never be fired. The power blob's role is to assault, which they can't do if they stop a turn to fire two Autocannons at BS 3. D6 + 6 inches and field position is much more important that 2 Str 7 hits. I might consider Autocannons, though, if I had the points to spare just in case the blob gets stranded at the wrong end of the board, or I need to put some shots into a fast skimmer or something. However, I consider the points better spent on the HB sponsons for the Vendetta.

If two Artillery pieces, five heavy flamers, four regular flamers, and two blob squads is light on anti-horde, I don't think adding flamers to the blobs will help any more. Plus there's the concern that a savvy player would remove enough models to keep me out of assault.

Your comment about long range anti-tank has given me a thought, though. Do you think the Vendettas and five mobile BS 4 squads aren't enough? What units, specifically, should I give thought to? Eldar skimmers and IG artillery are all that come to mind.