PDA

View Full Version : Any Heavy Gear Players?

Kuhlbert
01-04-2011, 03:52 PM
I used to play the 1st edition, both RP and miniatures. Thinking about something else to occupy my time other than 40k - so I was looking at the Blitz edition... wondering if it was any good.

robertsjf
01-05-2011, 08:39 AM
1st, blitz is nothing like 1st ed
2nd, you might have a challenge finding other players, if you decide to play, I'd collect 2 small forces to start
3rd, I like the system. 4 mechanisms that I'm paticularly fond of: margin of success, combat/active lock how damage is handled and electronic warfare. a) Margin of success: the better you roll (beat your target) the more effective your action ie you shoot some dude with a rifle. With an MoS of 1 you hit him, but might not damage him. With an MoS of 4 you hit him right right between the eyes and put him down. b) Combat lock/Active lock: TLOS isn't enough necessarily, you're on a high tech battlefield with all sorts of electronic noise and smoke and blown up stuff. If your enemy can put enough obstructions between the two of you, you wont be able to lock on. c) Damage, models have a number of boxes ranging from superficial damage to critical damage. the levels affect that models performance. Also, if a weapon does enough damage (usually 3x the armor level of the unit) you score an overkill. d) Electronic warfare: you have models that specialize in making comms hard for the enemy, trying to block the calling of fire support, actively disrupting weapons lock, jamming signals so that a commander can't give his troops vital orders.

In all, good times.