PDA

View Full Version : Pedro Incubator

Spanklet
08-28-2009, 12:10 AM
I have submitted a base 1500 Pedro build and was needing help filling it out from anyone who knows how to use him.

So far only 1015 points used

Balanced for a tourney would be optimal

HQ:
Chapter Master Pedro Kantor 175 pts
(Dorn's Arrow; Frag Grenades; Iron Halo; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Power Fist)

ELITE:
Sternguard Veteran Squad 170 pts
4 Sternguard Veteran Squad (Bolt Pistol x4; Bolter x4; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Special Issue Ammunition; Razorback)
1 Sergeant (Bolt Pistol; Bolter; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Special Issue Ammunition)
1 Razorback (Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Twin Linked Heavy Bolter; Dozer Blade)

4 Sternguard Veteran Squad (Bolt Pistol x4; Bolter x4; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Special Issue Ammunition; Razorback)
1 Sergeant (Bolt Pistol; Bolter; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Special Issue Ammunition)
1 Razorback (Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Twin Linked Heavy Bolter; Dozer Blade)

TROOPS:
Scout Squad 105 pts
4 Scout Squad (Bolt Pistol x4; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Combat Blade x4)
1 Sergeant (Bolt Pistol; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Melta Bombs; Power Fist)

Scout Squad 105 pts
4 Scout Squad (Bolt Pistol x4; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Combat Blade x4)
1 Sergeant (Bolt Pistol; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Melta Bombs; Power Fist)

FAST ATTACK:
Land Speeder Storm 60 pts
1 Land Speeder Storm (Cerberus Launcher; Jamming Beacon; Heavy Flamer)
1 Cerberus Launcher
1 Jamming Beacon

1 Cerberus Launcher
1 Jamming Beacon

Chumbalaya
08-28-2009, 07:27 AM
The meat of your army is 3 5 man squads in AV11 transports. You've got no melta (apart from 2 melta bombs) and for all those shooty units you bring they are stubborn.

5 Scouts really aren't going to be doing much except dying and maybe tying something up for a turn. You could get a lucky melta bomb on an immobile vehicle, but you have to get 1st turn and they can always protect said tanks with a buffer of infantry.

I'd give your Sternguard 3-4 combi-meltas to help bust armor, swap the Scout for Tactical Squads in Razorbacks (multi-melta, flamer, combi-melta), and toss in Predators to hunt light AV at range and Speeders to help deal with armor outside of normal melta range.

A beefy assault unit wouldn't hurt either, perhaps a Command Squad to hang around Kantor.

Spanklet
08-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Yeah, the list was just a skeleton and based on input from several sources this is what was made from it:

Add assault termies and remove assault role from scouts... check
Add LR for termies.. check
Add predators...check
Add some MM attack bikes...check
Add combi melta to SG...check
Add some TAC bodies in Razorback.. will have to drop preds or something else.. maybe warranted..maybe not..not sure
Add a chappy for the asslt termies.. will have to drop preds or something else.. maybe warranted..maybe not..not sure

PHASE II LIST: 1500 pts

HQ:
(Dorn's Arrow; Frag Grenades; Iron Halo; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Power Fist)

ELITE:
Terminator Assault Squad 200 pts
4 Terminator Assault Squad (Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x4)
1 Sergeant (Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x1)

Sternguard Veteran Squad 180 pts
4 Sternguard Veteran Squad (Bolt Pistol x4; Bolter x2; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Special Issue Ammunition; Combi-Meltagun x2)

Sternguard Veteran Squad 180 pts
4 Sternguard Veteran Squad (Bolt Pistol x4; Bolter x2; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Special Issue Ammunition; Combi-Meltagun x2)

TROOPS:
Scout Squad 85 pts
4 Scout Squad (Bolt Pistol x4; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Sniper Rifle x3; Missile Launcher)
1 Sergeant (Bolt Pistol; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Sniper Rifle)

Scout Squad 90 pts
4 Scout Squad (Bolt Pistol x4; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Shotgun x4)
1 Sergeant (Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Melta Bombs; Shotgun; Combi-Flamer)

FAST ATTACK:
1 Cerberus Launcher
1 Jamming Beacon

Attack Bike Squad 50 pts
1 Attack Bike Squad (Bolt Pistol x1; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Multi-Melta x1)
1 Space Marine Bike

Attack Bike Squad 50 pts
1 Attack Bike Squad (Bolt Pistol x1; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Multi-Melta x1)
1 Space Marine Bike

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Land Raider 250 pts
(Power of the Machine Spirit; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Twin Linked Heavy Bolter; Twin Linked Lascannon x2)

Predator 90 pts
(Autocannon; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Dozer Blade; Sponson Heavy Bolters)

Predator 90 pts
(Autocannon; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Dozer Blade; Sponson Heavy Bolters)

Because I may run into players with fast lt vehicles sporting lances or broadsides/hammerheads w/markerlight from skyray, I may want to put a gate libby on the asslt termies, remove all hvy support tanks and spend the remainder on more bodies..yes? no?

PedroKantor
08-28-2009, 10:00 AM
This is the 1500(actually 1485) point list i've been running and I love it....

Pedro Kantor (attached to)
7 Assault terminators (x3 THSS)
(all riding in a)
Landraider Crusader

Ironclad

Landspeeder storm (melta)
5x scouts (powerfist)
(this combo is a nice armor killer with scout move and being opened topped near guaranteed to disable at least one major vehicle before they are destroyed!)

10x tactical (melta gun missile launcher powerfist)
razorback TLHB

10x tactical (melta gun missile launcher powerfist)
razorback TLHB

I love attaching Pedro to the Assault terminators as the extra attack every turn really seems to help out.
I think your list is pretty good too, except too many scout IMO, but if you like playin them, by all means play em.
-eric

Duke
08-28-2009, 01:39 PM
One thing I have liked a lot is Preds with TL Lascannon turret and no sponsons. Give it a try.

Chumbalaya
08-28-2009, 01:44 PM
I like the next step, it fills a lot of the gaps.

I'm not so sure about Scouts in the LSS. They aren't very survivable or killy really. Tacticals in Razorbacks or Rhinos might suit you better (more melta, more burny, more armor).

More Attack Bikes would come in handy as well.

I'd run the Sternies as 6 men and stick Pedro with the Terminators since they benefit from his aura more. The Land Raider should have extra armor and a multi-melta just in case (I prefer a Crusader for the mobile dakka, lascannons just don't impress).

mkerr
08-28-2009, 05:55 PM
@Spanklet: You can drop all of the standard wargear -- we know who comes with grenades and power armor. :) It makes the list a little tough to read.

Pedro Kantor is my favorite character for 1500-2000pt games. You can't beat Stubborn and the +1A aura.

1. I'm not a huge fan of the Sternguard in Razorbacks. Here's my spiel on Sternguard: They are very effective (which means people want to kill them), if you can get them em masse where you need them. Razorbacks just aren't tough enough or fast enough to get the job done. Drop Pods are a much safer bet. You really only need one squad (of at least 8) in a drop pod to be effective.

2. Sternguard in Pedro's arua are fantastic in close combat. You should always upgrade the Sergeant's bolt pistol to a power weapon (yes, that means he loses an attack but he gets to keep his special ammo shots).

3. Unless you play in crazy terrain-ville, lose the dozer blades.

4. Scouts in Pedro's aura are pretty nasty (and reasonably priced) close combat units. There's a combo there with the Land Speeder Storm, but I probably wouldn't try it until 2000pts.

5. Unless you regularly face Dark Eldar or Tau, I wouldn't worry about the tanks. If you play either of those armies more than once a month, then I'd get rid of them.

- mkerr

Spanklet
08-29-2009, 03:38 AM
Interesting point regarding the stern. very interesting.,..

Crazy terrain ville?? awesome comment.

That would give me enough to employ something like this:

Pedro attached to SG and Libby attached to Assault Termies on both lists.

All default gear removed from list

PRO:
A. Odds are Libby can nullify 50% of psionic use by enemy within 24".
B. Libby rounds out asslt squad and is just as tough with his termie / ss combo.
C. Only one pod ..good
D. More bodies (TAC)
E. Libby can gate termies near those ^%#%^ Basilisks hiding in the corners.
F. More MM, not the crappy "one shot" regular combi- melta.
G. I can reduce excessive point loss by grouping the two attack bikes.
H. Pedro making the already powerfull sternguard go absolutely ape-sh**t
I. Libby (again ;p) can instant death independent characters in CC.
J. Pedro with SG full squad = extreme pain in CC or shooty.

CON:
A. lose two dakka preds...oh well. any army with rails / markerlights or light armor fast lances would near insta pop them anyway by turn 2.
B. Nice to have two sternguard half squads to really lay the hurt down on nids (and whatever else really) and increase survivability but one under pedro prolly a bit better overall.
C. Single large sternguard with pedro = Basilisk Death. All hell is gonna break loose with enemy trying to kill them. At least the termie libby with asslt termies an excellent distraction and tough as nails fire soaker.
D. MM on SG cause loss of special ammo use for 2 bolters but its worth it.
E. Single SG = one less scoring unit.

LIST ONE:

THEME : Pedro gets nutty with two SG and his pal Libby

HQ:

Space Marine Librarian 140 pts
(Terminator Armour; The Gate of Infinity; Vortex of Doom; Storm Shield)

ELITE:
Terminator Assault Squad 200 pts (Libby) (LR)
4 Terminator Assault Squad (Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x4)

Sternguard Veteran Squad 195 pts (Pedro)
5 Sternguard Veteran Squad (Multi-Melta x2)
1 Sergeant
1 Rhino

Sternguard Veteran Squad 225 pts
5 Sternguard Veteran Squad (Multi-Melta x2)
1 Sergeant (Power Fist)
1 Razorback

TROOPS:
Tactical Squad 230 pts
9 Tactical Squad (Flamer; Multi-Melta)
1 Sergeant (Power Fist)
1 Rhino

Scout Squad 75 pts
4 Scout Squad (Sniper Rifle x4)
1 Sergeant (Sniper Rifle)

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Land Raider 260 pts
(Twin Linked Lascannon x2; Multi-Melta)

LIST TWO:

THEME: Pedro guts nutty with one large SG and some a-bikes...and his pal Libby

HQ:

Space Marine Librarian 140 pts
(Terminator Armour; The Gate of Infinity; Vortex of Doom; Storm Shield)

ELITE:
Terminator Assault Squad 200 pts (libby) (LR)
4 Terminator Assault Squad (Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x5)

Sternguard Veteran Squad 320 pts (Pedro)
9 Sternguard Veteran Squad (Multi-Melta x2)
1 Sergeant (Power Fist)
1 Drop Pod

TROOPS:
Tactical Squad 230 pts
9 Tactical Squad (Flamer; Multi-Melta)
1 Sergeant (Power Fist)
1 Rhino

Scout Squad 75 pts
4 Scout Squad (Sniper Rifle x4)
1 Sergeant (Sniper Rifle)

FAST ATTACK:
Attack Bike Squad 100 pts
2 Attack Bike (Multi-Melta x2)

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Land Raider 260 pts
(Twin Linked Lascannon x2; Multi-Melta)

mkerr
08-29-2009, 09:41 AM
@Spanklet: I'll give you some comments on List 2.

1. If you have the points, I'd put a locator beacon on your drop pod. That gives you more options for how you use the Terminators (and it helps take some chance out of Gate of Infinity).

2. I generally don't put two HQ in a 1500pt army. Even though Gate of Infinity and the Psychic Hood are handy, I think that spending 300pts on HQ is just too much. That 140pts would get you a lot more boots on the ground. It's up to you of course, but that's just a general rule with me.

3. I think that 8 Sternguard are enough in 1500pts. Drop the 2 MMs and go with 2 combi-meltas. That way you don't lose the special ammo. I'd probably go with Lightning Claw and Bolter for my Sergeant (you benefit from Pedro's +1A and still get special ammo).

4. I'd take those saving from the Librarian and the Sternguard and lose the Scouts and add a second Tactical squad mounted in a Rhino. I'd probably upgrade the flamers to meltaguns too (they are just more useful in a small army).

5. With 2 combi-meltas, meltaguns in Rhinos and a Landraider full of Thunder Hammers, I don't think you need the 2 Attack Bikes. First of all, they stick out like a sore thumb. Secondly, they are a little cheesy. Again, your mileage may vary but I hate seeing MM Attack Bikes in armies.

In any case, don't forget the #1 rule of army building -- make an army that YOU want to play. It has to have elements that draw you to it or you won't have much fun. And fun is the real goal here.

-- mkerr

Chumbalaya
08-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Yeah, 2 HQs are fairly expensive at 1500 and I don't think the Librarian is particularly necessary. Don't bother teleporting Termies, they risk scattering and can't assault afterwards.

List 1:
Put both Sterny squads in Razors, ditch multi-meltas for combi-meltas (keep special ammo, move and fire, cheaper). Bump up to 6 per unit for more dakka. Run Pedro with the Termies for an uber beat stick unit. Go for LRC over LR for the dakka and add extra armor.

List 2:
If you drop, you need to bring the rest of your army up quickly to support them. Split the ABs and get a LRC, should be fine.