PDA

View Full Version : How do you paint your Ultramarines?

eldargal
08-28-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm asking this on behalf of my brother, who has been having a long running debate with the other Ultramarine player in our group about how to pain them.

My brother primes with skull white then basecoats in ultramarines blue. It gives a a nice, glowy effect in my opinion.
His nemesis primes with chaos black, then drybrushes successive layers of ultramarines blue onto the model. It seems to give it a much darker, grittier colour though I'm not sure if thats the chaos black or the drybrushing coat.
My brother things the other chaps Ultramarines are too dark, the other chap thinks my brothers are too light. How do you do yours?

Abominable Plague Marine
08-28-2009, 04:34 AM
Well, never painted Ultramorons, but I use a similar drybrushing technique for my Death Guard. Its amazing how flat you can get the colour!

Really it would (and should) come down to personal tastes, each to their own, you know what I mean. Id love to see pics of them both, or one of each side by side.

Hunter
08-28-2009, 06:59 AM
i object to thta ultramoron quip , the spacesmurth are a fine and noble chapter.

it depends if your speed painting , i find mordian blue over Black undercoat woks rely well for figurs ,great too for repainting assuming they dont have 10 layers of paint allready

i tryd working with white undercoat and it not as forgiving as black.

i aquierd a wholl bunch of OLD secondhand marines, i got them all looking spithy in one weekend of painting , ready for that big apocalyps game that friday ,all 3 battlecompenies got ther butts kickt by comnbined eldar army.

Cryl
08-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Personally all mine are done with using Ultramarine blue over a chaos black undercoat, badab black wash and highlight with 3:1 mix ultramarine blue & skull white. I think the "official" guide suggests regal blue over black with an ultramarine highlight iirc. Tbh it's whatever works for you, I prefer the dark but neat and not battle worn look for my Ultras other people prefer battle chips and scars etc.

When I first painted blue marines back in Rogue Trader days the space wolves were the "ones that everyone had", my "blue ones" were the different looking models so comments knocking the Ultras for being the common ones always make me laugh.

oni
08-28-2009, 09:49 AM
EEK! I suppose you could do it that way, but I'm not a fan of brightly coloured Ultramarines.

Here's a link to how I do mine. The method that I walk through is the same one GW uses to paint their Ultramarines that are used for product photos.

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com/2008/08/ultramarines-army-progress-post-one.html

This one is unrelated but shows off some different angles of the above Ultramarines.

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com/2008/08/decals-getting-that-painted-on-look.html

Duke
08-28-2009, 10:04 AM
I paint my Ultramarines Red and call them Blood Angels.

Seriously though, I generally prefer darker colour schemes I think it goes better with the whole "In the grim darkness..." theme. Plus, models with white primer look like they just got off the thunderhawk, they don't look like they have seen a lifetime of fighting... All in all though it is a personal preferance.

Duke

Blue Beetle
08-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Black undercoat followed by Mordian Blue basecoat. I then use Ultramarine Blue drybrush. I use regal blue and Enchanted Blue for lighting effects. The result is not a bright color, per say, but a deep true blue that is neither bright and gaudy in dark cityfight terrains nor dark and shadowy in bright forest/field tables.

Gotthammer
08-28-2009, 11:04 AM
They're not Ultras per se, but I paint my Rainbow Warriors with a black undercoat + mordian blue, regal blue + ultra blue drybrush + blue wash. It's a darker scheme than I would consider Ultras though. Of the two I'd take the nemesis'.

Aldramelech
08-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Im doing Eagle Warriors, an Ultra spin off.

Their half white half blue, so I undercoat white.

oni
08-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Another quick and easy way to do it that yields a good look...

Mordian Blue foundation > Badab Black wash > Ultamarines Blue highlight > Fortress Grey highlight