PDA

View Full Version : Allies combining forces

addamsfamily36
01-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Ok so i have a little dilemma.

I play several armies for both 40k and fantasy, but one of my favourite and most reliable/effective was my beastmen army.

With the new army book my army got nerfed.

I lost Two of my larger units, Dragon ogres, and trolls. Now i'm awful at painting whole armies, but my beastmen where fully done and it pains me that i have to rebase all my ungor (which is pointless seeing as they will chip and break in removal) and find replacements for the void from dragon ogres and trolls being removed.

Now in the 8th edition rulebook, there is a section for allied armies. This comes before additional rules and scenarios and is near the end of the core rules.

I understand that these rules are for larger games, but it does not state how many players exactly etc.

Now, the one rule of allies, when making army selection is that each combined force must be legal.

My proposal is that in a 2000 point game i take 1000 points of bestmen

and 1000 poitns of chaos warriors.

This would enable me to have dragon ogres and trolls back, i would have core as marauders(converted beastmen) and then a simple hero choice. I would then take a beastmen lord and etc from the beastmen book.

Local gamers at both my stores, home and at uni, agreed that this would be ok seeing as both armies were meeting restrictions like percentages etc.

However, i would like to ask the internets opinion. I'd like to do the army as i have some nicely plastic converted dragon ogres that cost me around £50 to make , but i'd rather not get out my army and have a reluctant opponent.

novatomato
01-11-2011, 10:05 AM
well I for one would play against it and I'm sure most people would in friendly games.

If all else fails you can use the Droges and trolls as "counts as minotaurs" but that probably wouldn't actually help the army that much.
If you have a Shaggoth (I was going to get into beastmen solely based on this model) you could use him as a Ghorgon or Jabberslythe.
Just throwing around some ideas if its deemed Cheese on a cheese bun.

addamsfamily36
01-11-2011, 11:15 AM
well I for one would play against it and I'm sure most people would in friendly games.

If all else fails you can use the Droges and trolls as "counts as minotaurs" but that probably wouldn't actually help the army that much.
If you have a Shaggoth (I was going to get into beastmen solely based on this model) you could use him as a Ghorgon or Jabberslythe. Just throwing around some ideas if its deemed Cheese on a cheese bun.

Yeh i currently run them as minotaurs or razorgor, and will continue to do so if needs be. I also have a shaggoth, but i hate all the new monsters. Rules wise they might be nice, but something doesn't do it for me with them, and i always build my armies based on what units/fluff/themes that appeal to me.

This is why i would like to do a combined force. All of the warriors of chaos stuff wiill be based using beastmen with conversions, and im not tailoring it to get the best from both books. I literally will take just the dragon ogres, the trolls, marauders and a hero choice (and not a special character as i think that would be cheeky).

cheers for the response, am glad to see you would play me :)

addamsfamily36
01-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Hey, anyone else got any thoughts on this?

rtmaitreya
03-10-2011, 04:48 PM
I don't think anyone from my gaming group would have any problem whatsoever. Count this as having 10 more votes as "sure" and "no problem". Our own beastman player isn't all that thrilled with the new book, and is coming up with his own plans as well.

A trick is to make sure the marauders are not just beastmen models just like your other beastmen true units, they do need to be identifiable. Use old metal beastmen (which are smaller) or use more human parts (as partial conversions) or mix in ungor parts to represent the smaller stature and T3 of the marauders. Overall I think this is a fantastic idea!

One thing I would not do is run two generals and two standard bearers to get doubly overlapping Ld benefits. Stick to a single general and a single BSB (maybe even one from each list). Based on the normal ally rules, each army uses each general and BSB normally, so the overlap becomes "complete" as if you were a single army.