PDA

View Full Version : How to paint strip a large mode/tank?

eldargal
08-28-2009, 10:11 PM
I just found my first ever large model, a falcon grav tank from when they were first released by GW ages ago. Anyway, the paint job is rather poor by my current standards and I'm thinking I will redo it, but I'm not sure how to strip a model which sits 75% out of the simply green tank. I'm not particularly keen on filling a bucket with the stuff as i think it would be wasteful.

How do you strip a tank?

P.S. I would ask my brothers but they are all sleep, insomnia gets annoying after a few days.

chromedog
08-28-2009, 10:40 PM
You could try the half/half method if you don't wish to fully immerse the model.

Sit it in the stuff long enough for it to go to work, remove, scrub and then place it hback in so that the other side/part is immersed.
Rinse and repeat. May take a bit longer, but simple green isn't supposed to damage plastic, so shouldn't work too badly.

Me, I use brake fluid to strip stuff. Disposal is equally easy. Take it back to the store where I got it from and pour it into their waste drum (auto-parts store 2 blocks away).

archimbald
08-29-2009, 10:10 AM
DONT use nail polish remover cos my mates ma did that for him and ruined his battlesuit

Vorlon
08-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Try a product called Purple Power. Someone at my local hobby store recommended it to me after seeing how fast I was burning through my stock of simple green. Its a much more concentrated solution (though the smell is much more tolerable) so watering it down will yield a stronger bath. Hope this helps ^_^

PS I think its actually cheaper than simple green as well.

Dragonslayer261
08-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Purple Power works. Also Superclean. Superclean is a little more expensive but works faster. I used it to strip a Land Raider with no damage to the plastic.

If you can't submerge the whole tank, just take a large brush and paint it on straight. Wait a while and paint some more on until it starts to bubble up.

Dave38x
08-30-2009, 10:38 AM
In england you can spray the model with an aggressive cleaning product like Fairy Powerspray

Tallarn
08-30-2009, 11:40 AM
I use Acetone-FREE Nailpolish remover. Wont eat plastic, one bottle should do it with a small container to put the model in then pour in the Acetone-FREE nail polish remover... Use one of your brothers tooth brushes to get the cracks clean. Wear some glasses or something as you don't want that stuff getting in your eyes. Whatever you do, don't use regular nail polish remover as acetone eats plastic - bad m'kay?

Oh and replace the tooth brush when done, just scrape the loose paint off...

Siquid
09-01-2009, 10:19 PM
for large models I like to use rubbing alcohol. Its fairly cheap and it works rather well. You can fill a large bucket and not feel like you are wasting alot of money. You do have to let it sit a little longer than other products, and some times it takes more than one bath, but its a trade off.....price v work....hope that helps!

Datadep5
09-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I find that simple green works the best. Leave it in for a few days and the fumes should help get part of the tank that isn't in the simple green. Do what a few others have said and that is to paint part of the model with simple green; letting it sit on top. After it's sat for a while, take a toothbrush to it. Repeat this until you get mostly to the plastic.

Good luck.

Thantoes
09-02-2009, 12:11 AM
In england you can spray the model with an aggressive cleaning product like Fairy Powerspray

Just this weekend I tried Fairy on an old Leman Russ. It was not a success. For smaller models that you can submerge, fairy is my first choice but I am at a loss as to what to use for bigger units that you cant submerge.

Vorlon
09-02-2009, 12:26 AM
After trying Purple Power I have to say I works better than Simple Green. Just make sure to wear latex gloves if plan on getting really hands on with the model....stuff is tough on exposed skin.

MINI0N
09-02-2009, 12:26 AM
What i have done in the past to strip large models and tanks is get a square tub and fill it half way with simple green then lean it on edge so it is slightly tilted, put a fish tank filter that cascades water into a fish tank and place it on the low side place the tank under neath it and turn it on and let it run for a day or so. That should give a good enough flow of what ever cleaning prod. you use to strip it very nicely of course u should flip it a couple of time during the saoaking. you can get a fish filter at a garage sale or flea market for around $5. good luck.

Edge
09-02-2009, 05:50 AM
Depending on how hollow the model is, you could use a plastic bag rather than a bucket to totally emerse it. You can get the bag to hug the figure, making this is more conservative when using your simple green, (or dettol in my case), and works pretty well with larger models. Although I have bought a second hand Land Raider, and I can't imagine this workling too well with that...

asmodai650
09-02-2009, 06:25 AM
The bin and fish pump is your best bet. I've used simple green for a couple of years now with no problems. I use a container with a lid and just let the stuff sit for a week and start scrubbing. I',ve left FW resin in it for well over a month with no damage at all.

Dia
09-02-2009, 04:09 PM
The bit about submerging models in a plastic bag is great. I'll definitely try it the next time I have to strip an infantry unit.

But I do have a small question. How do you remove GW primer from models?

Even after soaking in greenstuff for a few days, the primer doesn't seem to want to come off unless I file or sand it off.