PDA

View Full Version : Squad Identification.

Bomma
08-29-2009, 05:11 AM
Problem - 32 Khorne Berzerkers.. How to mark each 8 man group?

Ive looked at marking the base or under the base and it doesn't quite appeal. Anyone got any snazy ideas on how to mark them on the model?

I was thinking perhaps some kind of icon or numeral on the chapter badge (they all have GW World Eater shoulder pads) maybe through the world in the middle? What marking would I use?

Battled finding anything on the intrawebz.

Thanks in advance.

B.

imperialsavant
08-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Problem - 32 Khorne Berzerkers.. How to mark each 8 man group?

Ive looked at marking the base or under the base and it doesn't quite appeal. Anyone got any snazy ideas on how to mark them on the model?

I was thinking perhaps some kind of icon or numeral on the chapter badge (they all have GW World Eater shoulder pads) maybe through the world in the middle? What marking would I use?

Battled finding anything on the intrawebz.

Thanks in advance.

B.

Just a couple of suggestions.
1) You could paint the shoulder pad Icon a different colour for each squad.
2) put the sqd No. on a knee pad.:rolleyes:

Old_Paladin
08-29-2009, 07:21 AM
If you haven't finished painting them yet, just do them differently. The Blood God has several favourite colours.
Have one unit in Bronze armour, another in Black, a third in Red, the last in old World Eaters colours (white and blue) splashed with blood.
It also re-enforces how splintered the worshippers of the Blood God are, they have little orginization; each unit (or at best warband) thinks its own way is best.

bob
08-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Paint each squad consuming a different world

Meaning the world being eaten in the symbol

TSINI
08-29-2009, 02:21 PM
how about a simple tally mark running down a leg, like scratch marks, or tiger stripes. different number of scratches for each squad. it would be subtle and easy to read

BlacknightIII
08-29-2009, 03:30 PM
I usually model each squad slightly differently, one squad will be plain, one will have grenades one will have pistol holsters and so on.

entendre_entendre
08-29-2009, 06:17 PM
well, you could paint the heads different colours. one squad bright red, next bronze, 3 = bone, & 4 = dark red. simple. effective.
i actually have all my beserker squads w/ completely different colour schemes ( dark red, bright red, black legion, etc.)

fade_74
08-31-2009, 08:43 AM
I would do different kneepads for each

Aldramelech
08-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Different colored eyes? subtle but effective.

Welshman1440
08-31-2009, 10:44 AM
I know a guy with a similar problem...
He's going down the different coloured eye route. I'd personally Try different coloured helmets or different shades of bronze. Or do one with bloody chainswords, clean chainswords and a final one with 2 sets of chainswords, bloody.

Once saw a guard army with desert camo all kaserkin army and teh only way you could tell the squads apart was from the numbers on the shoulderpads...

krispy
08-31-2009, 11:03 AM
you could do something similar to normal marines - i.e.
a) trim of shoulder pads
b) a knee (as mentioned above)
c) a stripe on their helmets
d) helmet color
5) aquilla / chest plate icon color

or simply numerals / glyphs on them somewhere, knee, shoulder, lower leg etc.
/k

Rangerrob
08-31-2009, 11:44 AM
How about something on the base?

1st squad is your regular basing style.

2nd squad has one white/ gray rock.

3rd squad has a dropped marine weapon / body part.

They would all look alike just have something different on those bases.

Vepr
09-01-2009, 08:34 AM
For my nids I am putting washers up under the base to keep them upright anyways and I have little rare earth magnets that I am going to color code red, blue, green etc and then just put the little magnets on the base so that I can change up squad sizes to whatever I want and still know who is who.

nojinx
09-01-2009, 09:01 AM
My death guard units are identified by a particular metallic color in the details of the backpack (copper, brass, silver, natural steel, etc.). This allows the differential markings to be highly visible at first glance and eliminates having to look for a particular mark on each model (which might be in an awkward spot for viewing).

Squirrel_Fish
09-01-2009, 12:21 PM
I suggest painting the trim on a single shoulder pad (I use the right pad) a different color; one squad with a black trim, one with gold, one with yellow, one with red, etc.

ChrisW
09-01-2009, 12:51 PM
after making and assembling an entire DA company i had issues identifing sqads, as a tac marine in dark green from behind looks the same as all others. i didn't want to mess with different basing as i wanted the uniform look of the army. ii ended up painting the ring around the base with different colours. it did require that i also paint some of the usual option special weapon and heavy weapon troopers with the same colour but was well worth it in the end.

Engelus
09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
On my guard I like to paint a small stripe of different colors on the helmet.

for beserkers maybe you could do something different with thier weapons.

thatguyjames
09-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Maybe they could all have finished killing something different.

Squad ultramarine killers, squad nids killers, squad necron killers, ect. Great way to add some flavor and take out pent up frustration with any recurring armies that give you trouble. :)

Citadel Security Officer
09-01-2009, 02:36 PM
You got me thinking James

The_Tempest
09-01-2009, 03:06 PM
You could always do a squad marking on their shoulder pads,
It would be interesting to see a "parody" of loyalist markings with the roman numerals written in blood or with scratches.

Dragon
09-01-2009, 03:17 PM
You could try different colored weapons

MajorSoB
09-01-2009, 03:25 PM
If you want them to appear the same yet be able to tell them apart, do what I saw a necron player do, paint the underside of each squad's base a different color! The army still looks uniform but by flipping the model over you can tell each sqaud apart. Works for sisters too!

Absolutionis
09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
For my Tyranids, they're supposed to be as uniform as possible. I paint the visible rim of the base a different color for each unit. To not take too much attention, I stick to Black, Grey, and White variants.