PDA

View Full Version : Video Games or Movies that would make good War Games

Connjurus
01-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Sorry if this isn't the right board for this...seemed "closest", but I'm not sure. Someone let me know if it's not!

Anyways, what games/movies/books/et cetera would you like to be seen made into an awesome tabletop wargame? Personally, I think the Mass Effect series has a lot of potential for this - the games go into a lot of depth explaining the differences in each species' approach to warfare - the Salarians depend on STG teams to deal crippling strikes to an enemy's infrastructure and logistics, effectively ending wars before they begin. The Turians are heavily militaristic, with the largest fleet, but with very rare usage of Biotics. I could see each race being represented something like this:

Humans: "Middle of the road" army. They've got a bit of everything - good amount of numbers, decent training, small units of Spec-Ops - N7s - decent amount of tech experts and biotics, but again, nothing super powerful. They'd be the balanced army, a good place for beginners to start.

Turians: This, I think, would be an interesting army to play. Seeing as how they're the Council's strongest military presence, it would take a bit of balancing to make it work in terms of numbers, but they'd have strong leanings towards large amounts of basic troops, amplified with a small corps of tech experts and tiny, tiny amounts of biotics - their Cabals.

Salarians: Small amount of troops, mostly tech experts, no Biotics. Able to be highly specialized/customizable depending on the mission. Possibly large use of mechs to supplement their small numbers. An elite army with lots of ways to screw with enemy armies, possibly through an implementation of communications blackouts type rules, lowered thermal clip supplies, lots of ways to mess with enemy vehicles.

Asari: Another "elite" army in terms of the numbers they bring to the battle field, I think this would be a fun army to play as every Asari is a Biotic, and in order to join the Armed Forces you have to show a sufficient level of biotic talent. Lots of ways to mess with enemy infantry - think stuff like Lift and Singularity from the games - as well as the potential to use powers in cohesion to create biotic explosions - like in Mass Effect 2.

Geth: Large amounts of basic infantry, possibly with some increase to statline the more of them are present within a certain distance of each other, or maybe just some kind of "threshold" where the more Geth of a certain type you field, the better they get - that way, large amounts of smaller Geth could be just as competitive as smaller amounts of more powerful Geth. Inclusion of small amount of "synapse creature"-type units like the Geth Prime.

Just a few ideas floating around in my head.

Well, what do you think would be an excellent addition to Wargaming?

geisthammer
01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Gears of war, halo, metal gear there are lots of IPs ripe for the table top.

armoured core that would be well good, mech customisation, lots of weapon choices. different rival corperations to join..
you would be given credits to spend on upgrades based on how well you perform and you get to paint this......