PDA

View Full Version : I hate Zombies

eldargal
01-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Am I only the one who finds the current craze for everything zombie tiresome? Honestly, most boring undead there is, why suddenly is it the 'cool' thing to have zombies in everything. You might think its all brain eating fun and games, but just wait, where vampires go zombies follow. Give it a few years and zombies too will get the Twilight treatment, and be all broody and charming and sparkly and make Eldargal want to hit them with a bloody shovel. Even more so than she already does.

Why is Eldargal suddenly writing in third person? Alcohol.:rolleyes:

gwensdad
01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I think zombies jumped the shark when they did that Star Wars book with zombies.
Thankfully, I haven't seen that much new in awhile Zed-head wise.

Drew da Destroya
01-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Much like bow ties, zombies are cool. So are fezzes.

DrLove42
01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Get with the times man

I wear a Stetson now....Stetsons are cool

gwensdad
01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
From Zombies to Doctor Who in 2 posts?
(And I think I see a Ms Song sneaking around shooting hats off of people...)

Let's see, how to bring this back around...Are Cybermen really an allegory for zombies?

Kieranator K82
01-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Somehow, I just don't think you could romanticize a mindless, shamblling freak-bag-meat-sack maggot-harlot. I think your fears are misplaced, Eldargal. Be very afraid that elves, a more likely candidates, get 'sparkled-up'.

scadugenga
01-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Zombies get "cool" every time societal focus gets focused on rampant consumerism, and/or people get all nihilistic-the-end-of-society-is-near paranoia.

Plus--zombie apocalypse makes for an excellent end-of-the-world setting.

Think less WHFB Vampire Counts, and more World War Z, Romero's original work, Jonathan Maberry's Patient Zero, and The Walking Dead graphic novel/mini-series.

I read World War Z while I was activated for Hurricane Ike down in Houston. It was....eerie.

Aldramelech
01-20-2011, 01:14 AM
Am I only the one who finds the current craze for everything zombie tiresome? Honestly, most boring undead there is, why suddenly is it the 'cool' thing to have zombies in everything. You might think its all brain eating fun and games, but just wait, where vampires go zombies follow. Give it a few years and zombies too will get the Twilight treatment, and be all broody and charming and sparkly and make Eldargal want to hit them with a bloody shovel. Even more so than she already does.

Shame on you! You drunken hussey........

Zombies are the way forward and Na*i Zombies are now required.. By law!

P.S. You've got red on you

Aenir
01-20-2011, 01:48 AM

and then we go onto the Mummies (Yay Khemri BB!), then Frankenstein type monsters!

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h289/kronork/Eldar/Bikespacex.jpg

sparkly! :P

eldargal
01-20-2011, 04:50 AM
Well Eldar are allowed to be sparkly, they can shape the cosmos at will.:P Or they could. I have to admit those starry paint jobs you seem are a little over the top for my tastes, though.

I just don't understand the appeal of zombies and why they are suddenly in everything.

Aldramelech
01-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Thats because a Zombie Holocaust is the ultimate male fantasy, think about it:

1/ Guns, lots and lots of guns! You can kit yourself out with anything you fancy and use with impunity.
2/ Cars! Pick your ultimate ride
3/ Chicks! You, as one of the lucky survivors are now 100% more attractive to the opposite sex, girls cant ignore you anymore. And who doesn't want to F*%$ Wichita?
4/ Bill Murry! You get to stay at Bill Murry's house. (Substitute for your favorite celeb)

P.S You've still got red on you....

Drew da Destroya
01-20-2011, 11:58 AM
I think zombies jumped the shark when they did that Star Wars book with zombies.
Thankfully, I haven't seen that much new in awhile Zed-head wise.

Admittedly, I'm gonna blame you for that one. I wanted to show my support of zombies, but your avatar and sig made me think of Dr. Who. So they fused.

I haven't really seen an upswelling of Zombie support recently, I guess, although the Walking Dead series could be shown as such... but there are always zombie movies, books, and games coming out. They're just a popular undead theme.

Admittedly, I've been a zombie fan for a while now... my girlfriend and I picked a top-floor apartment, because it'd be easier to barricade against zombies. We've discussed zombie survival plans, who of our friends we think would survive, and what we would do. We're not so crazy that we've actually made anti-zombie preparations, but we do discuss zombies a lot!

And World War Z was a really fun read... as was the Zombie Survival Handbook. That author is a zombie genius!

gwensdad
01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
And World War Z was a really fun read... as was the Zombie Survival Handbook. That author is a zombie genius!

It blows my mind that the author is Mel Brooks' son.
(yeah, THAT Mel Brooks)

DrLove42
01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Kinda looking forward to the World War Z movie. It is an amazing book.

Unfortunalt ybeing British most of whats in the Survival Handbook is out of place...so i've had to develop my own Zombie Plans. Everyone should have one!

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-21-2011, 12:14 AM
No, you are not alone.

I have never found Zombies appealing in any way or sense and like you - I personally find them very boring, unimaginative and overdone, I would however be happy to be proven wrong. I feel the same about Vampires too, to a lesser extent. I simply do not understand the appeal they have - at least visually, and to me visuals are very important in my monsters/creatures. Maybe thats the problem, and theres some psychological appeal I am just not getting. As I said, im open and not going to judge someone elses tastes in things, but my taste is my own and thats how I feel about zombies ect.

To add context - The first monster ever I saw was when I was 4 years of age - it was a Dalek. It was like nothing I had ever seen before, it was so alien and strange, and that I guess set the standard of creativity for me and the world of monsters. Since then, I have found anything remotely humanoid, or for that matter anything with legs, arms ect to be very uninteresting to me. It didnt help that my grandpa lent me his HP lovecraft books when I was 12 - and I discovered all manner of weird, interesting and cool creatures, that was the same year I happened upon a film called "The Thing" by John Carpenter. So when I see movies and shows that have monsters like Zombies or anything with 2 legs and 2 arms I just think back to those monsters I read about in my childhood and groan as I wish with all this snazzy CGI and technology people would come up with some more weirder and nastier abominations to please me!

It's this passion of mine that is what is making me do my own pure non-humanoid alien sci-fi show and miniature based wargame.

And the above is why ill probably be on the streets in the next five years :P

Kieranator K82
01-21-2011, 02:07 AM
... my own Zombie Plans. Everyone should have one!

Actually, for better preparation, you should have 37 different zombie plans.

Aenir
01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Actually, for better preparation, you should have 37 different zombie plans.

does one involve you knowingly infecting yourself with the virus so you can eat a certain teammember in orange armor? :D

Grailkeeper
01-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Kinda looking forward to the World War Z movie. It is an amazing book.

Unfortunalt ybeing British most of whats in the Survival Handbook is out of place...so i've had to develop my own Zombie Plans. Everyone should have one!

True dat. They better make it a documentary mind you. My particular bug bear is elves- they really piss me off in all forms but thats just me.

I also hate how vampires have been *******ised recently. They used to be genuinely frightening- then became sexy teens

Kieranator K82
01-21-2011, 05:17 PM
does one involve you knowingly infecting yourself with the virus so you can eat a certain teammember in orange armor? :D

Yes, actually! :D

Eldargal, have you considered that the media is attempting to prepare us for the Zombie Apocalypse? The more commonly used type of zombie used now is a person infected with some disease rather than a reanimated corpse. Examples are 28 Days Later's rage virus, Left 4 Dead's green flu, Resident Evil's bioweapon, Zombieland's mad cow disease mutation, Quarantine's rabies strain...

The point is, as scientific knowledge increases, we find more logical ways to explain an occurence. Unfortunately, there is a possibilty that something like this could happen, where most people become hostile beyond reason and completely mindless to boot.

eldargal
01-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Yes, zombies are turning into undead into sci fi instead of fantasy creatures, I hate that bit too.:p

Daleks > Zombies.

Well, Daleks > All. Except the Doctor.

Grailkeeper
01-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Mind you I don't like the new direction Daleks have taken- specifically now that we have seen what they look like beneath their armour-. They were unknowable creatures of horror mutated beyond belief in horrific was The unknown is always scarier than the known especially when the known looks like a cross between a starfish and a whole bunch of genitals. and as for human dalek hybrids...

scadugenga
01-21-2011, 08:40 PM
True dat. They better make it a documentary mind you. My particular bug bear is elves- they really piss me off in all forms but thats just me.

I also hate how vampires have been *******ised recently. They used to be genuinely frightening- then became sexy teens

Blame Anne Rice for that. She started the whole Vampires as romantic tortured sex objects bit.

As for WWZ: I'm both excited and leery about the execution. Hollywood tends to **** up the really good stuff, given half a chance. (Dresden Files TV series...I'm looking at you.)

As for elves--you might actually like the WM Ret elves--they're like effed up fantasy terrorists.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Mind you I don't like the new direction Daleks have taken- specifically now that we have seen what they look like beneath their armour-. They were unknowable creatures of horror mutated beyond belief in horrific was The unknown is always scarier than the known especially when the known looks like a cross between a starfish and a whole bunch of genitals. and as for human dalek hybrids...

heh, I'm really not a fan of the new dr who from 2005-current at all - I agree with you on that for the most part, I did like in the classic series you occasionally got GLIMPSES of dalek creatures, but it was very rare, and usually the remains of it the was so mutilated you could barely tell. The best depiction of the creature inside i saw was the Hybrid in "revelation of the daleks" imo...when the woman realises it was her father and she has to kill it...they'd never do anything as twisted and gory as that now! I prefer to stick to Big Finish's audios for "new" stuff these days, I dont cringe as much and the stories tend to have depth and originality.

Aldramelech
01-23-2011, 02:32 AM
Daleks are crap! A dustbin and a sink plunger, Oh yeah really scary.

Dont even get me started on Bernard Cribbins as an action hero.........

DrLove42
01-23-2011, 12:35 PM
As a side question anyone know when next series of Dr Who starts in the UK?

Cybermen make a better zombie analogy than Daleks do. Emotionless, converted from the living, slow

World War Z film is being doing by Brad Pitt's film studio. Apparantly its going to be a "Few Good Men" style courtroom setting. With "witnesses" delivering their testimonials in a flash back setting. Should be good

Grailkeeper
01-23-2011, 01:16 PM

Cybermen make a better zombie analogy than Daleks do. Emotionless, converted from the living, slow

World War Z film is being doing by Brad Pitt's film studio. Apparantly its going to be a "Few Good Men" style courtroom setting. With "witnesses" delivering their testimonials in a flash back setting. Should be good

sounds Great! I for one want Michael stipe to play the guy who looks like michael stipe but said he wasn't.

Also the film maker part is definitely scope for a cheeky cameo. Was it supposed to be tim burton in the book or is my memory playing tricks on me? they could do an albert hitchcock here either way.

Actually on the list of pop- horror things that annoy me- tim burton- stop making the same film over and over again and make something that is either scary or funny

Drew da Destroya
01-24-2011, 10:21 AM

I keep hearing Spring in the US, and I'd assume it'd be pretty close to when it launches in the UK as well. I'd guess an update sometime around March or April.

DarkLink
01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
I like zombies like in zombieland; that is, I don't care about zombies themselves, but instead the whole surviving the apocalypse thing. Zombies themselves are disgusting, and good for nothing but target practice.

Hyperion
01-28-2011, 12:13 PM

You mean you don't already want to hit zombies with a shovel? Isn't that what they're for?

gwensdad
01-29-2011, 11:56 AM
But what about that "Phil Kelly is Zombie" thing on the front page?

FirBholg
02-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Frankly, I think all of the old classic movie monsters are a bit overdone, and thus have lost a lot of the impact they originally had. With vampires I've never really understood the appeal, but that said I do have a certain fondness for the most recent iteration of the Warhammer Vampire Counts (though that may at least in part be down to the new female vampire lord looking so badass - she's ridiculously tall, and looks like she's just torn someone's spine out!).

I think that going back to the original source material (films like 'White Zombie' or 'I walked with a Zombie'), they can be pretty awesome. Same with the Romero films, which are interesting because he developed what the zombies were as the films progressed, to the point where there is actually a certain sympathy with them later on. I'm also unashamedly a fan of the Resident Evil films, for which I make no apologies ;)

Also, just because;
An old Phil & Dixie comic on a related subject... ;) (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/growfcomic.php?date=20100103)

Denzark
02-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Oce ran the plague zombie apoc data sheet, with typhus. They were all blasted uber quickly. About 90 of them.

Stick to berzerkers. thats my recommendation, or alternately, slightly upset rabid ferrets.