PDA

View Full Version : High Elves...IoB plus what else?

Brent
01-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi,
I'm new to WFB, and have picked up the Island of Blood set as a start...I traded away the Skaven for an additional set of High Elves.
What additional units should I get for my HE army?
I'm not looking at a particular point total or army style, I'm just trying to find out which additional units are worthwhile so I can pick them up as the opportunity arises....
Many thanks,
Brent

miksaa
01-22-2011, 02:50 AM
I started with the same more or less, first thing I added was the Battalion box and 5 Dragon princes (going to have ten when finished).
This gives you a good start block of troops.

I now have another set of IoB added (also traded Skaven for HE), so I can play:
4x 7 Sword masters
1x 30 Sea guards
20 Archers
20 Spear elves
10 Dragon princes (soon any way)
1 Chariot
1 Bolt thrower
2 Wizards
2 Griffon Princes
4x 5 Elysian riders

Next I guess I will get, one more Bolt thrower and five more Dragon princes.

Necron_Lord
01-22-2011, 07:17 PM
I would recommend getting in some games first, to get an idea of what your army will need to succeed in your gaming group. Swordmasters are great for infantry, but white lions and Phoenix guard have their advantages as well. Dragon princes are probably the only must buy, as they are great, but silver helms aren't bad either (too bad they aren't in the battalion box anymore). More troop choices wouldn't be bad, as you currently only have sea guard, so getting a battalion or two would be a safe bet. But first I would play with what you have, analyze your battles, and look through the HE book for units which would improve your performance and get them, especially if they look cool!

urzoon
01-28-2011, 02:45 AM
if you dont have the cash for a betalion definatly get spearmen. but they come in the box if u can get it plus u will need the bolt thrower in it

Albavar
01-31-2011, 07:26 AM
High Elf core choices are plain vanilla and seem boring, but they get the job done. The Always Strikes First allowing re-rolls to hit on most foes an fighting in an extra rank make for a ton of hits. This should more than balance out against the 3 Strength.
Swordmasters or White Lions are for hitting T4 and T5 monstrous or elite infantry.
The Dragon Princes are absolutely huge, but a ton of points. I've been running 10 since 4th edition.
I don't have a lot of experience with Reavers or Silver Helms.