PDA

View Full Version : Green Stuff Molding?

Schnitzel
08-29-2009, 06:42 PM
There are various little plastic bits that come with the different units we buy, however there never seems to be enough. Wether its something small and simple like a purity seal, a grenade you can give out your the masses, or the holy flamer.

What's your oppinion on making molds out of green stuff for various plastic bits?

Personally, I'm willing to accept something the size of a flamer. Anything bigger is pushing the issues to me. And it absolutely has to be for personal use, not for resale.

Landsknecht
08-29-2009, 06:51 PM
I've only ever used it for small details because I agree it should only be for personal use. Despite feeling like I have more than paid my fair share over the years some things are just wrong.

NecronAbyss
08-29-2009, 09:27 PM
How is this done exactly?

vman
08-29-2009, 10:29 PM
RTV silicone is your friend

Slann
08-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Its not wrong , they should give you what you need in a unit , why dont cadian shock troops come with a plasma gun or melta , its an option rite . Or maybe they should just make an upgrade box with like 10 of each weapon in the game with some new heads in there as well . naah way to easy .

Aldramelech
08-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Its not wrong , they should give you what you need in a unit , why dont cadian shock troops come with a plasma gun or melta , its an option rite . Or maybe they should just make an upgrade box with like 10 of each weapon in the game with some new heads in there as well . naah way to easy .

Agreed.

Melta bombs, As I have said are a pain. In my 2000pt Guard army I need 27 of them!

How many do you get with any plastic IG set? 0!

The new plastic command set helps a bit, but your right, A plastic weapons sprue is whats needed.

Schnitzel
08-30-2009, 05:59 AM
If we started a petition for such an item do you think GW might consider it? Or am I being too optimistic?

My greenstuff flamers definitely aren't up to snuff. They're usable by all means, but they just look bleh to me. They're gonna have to do till I bet more plastic ones though.

Aldramelech
08-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Forgeworld have a 'what would you like us to make' bit on their website, perhaps GW could do the same!

NecronAbyss
08-30-2009, 09:17 AM
RTV silicone is your friend

I've done this before. Silicone, yes, is your friend... Resin, however is a little trickier. you need to build a strong mold box. however, I'm curious as to what kind of quality one would get from the GS molding.

Slann
08-30-2009, 11:14 AM
for small one sided bitz it works , I made some pistol holster molds they came out great il post a pic later .

Schnitzel
08-30-2009, 12:36 PM
I've done this before. Silicone, yes, is your friend... Resin, however is a little trickier. you need to build a strong mold box. however, I'm curious as to what kind of quality one would get from the GS molding.

The quality is real sketchy. Smaller stuff with few to no details its good. Bigger things it depends on your yellow to blue ratios in the green stuff mix. I've managed to have one real good Flamer come out so far as well as one good melta bomb. The melta bomb then split in half though... lol.

NecronAbyss
08-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks. I'm not looking to do anything too huge. Just some Iconography here and there. I'm surprised you can get something like a flamer by doing this though.

krispy
08-31-2009, 12:47 AM
GW already has the "Bits" section where you can get things like shoulder pads, melta guns, plasma guns, jump packs etc - this is imho a start but maybe suggestions for squad upgrade items would not go amiss - that way meybe there would be a squad "upgrade" box set or the like.

NecronAbyss
08-31-2009, 10:30 AM
GW already has the "Bits" section where you can get things like shoulder pads, melta guns, plasma guns, jump packs etc - this is imho a start but maybe suggestions for squad upgrade items would not go amiss - that way meybe there would be a squad "upgrade" box set or the like.

Well, I know all this and have bought from them before. However, I would like to know about different and easier molding techniques. This one in particular being something of interest to me.

Another question. Is some sort of mould release needed when using the green stuff mould? I'm assuming you also make the casted part with more green stuff.

Aldramelech
08-31-2009, 01:06 PM

Dont do bloody Melta Bombs though do they?:rolleyes:

Lord Inquisitor
08-31-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm very interested. I need more disintigrators, since the only two come with Vect. Could you give a step by step on how to do this?

NecronAbyss
09-01-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm very interested. I need more disintigrators, since the only two come with Vect. Could you give a step by step on how to do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwzJkE2gKhA

This is pretty much how I thought it was done. There may be a way to make an A and B sided mold using similar techniques than this. The Lego Idea for the mold box is good and I've heard of them even being used in DIY silicone and resin molding. I might try to make mine out of cardboard cause the lego base has all those raised parts. It kind of limits how deep you can push the master into the mold.

Schnitzel
09-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Well, I know all this and have bought from them before. However, I would like to know about different and easier molding techniques. This one in particular being something of interest to me.

Another question. Is some sort of mould release needed when using the green stuff mould? I'm assuming you also make the casted part with more green stuff.

For the release agent I use vasaline. Dry brushed a light coat of it in the mold, pop in some green stuff and wait a few hours. Pops out fine. Takes some practice getting decently detailed products though. My first three flamers were pretty crappy. My next three weren't too bad though.