PDA

View Full Version : Wizards and Challenges

celestialatc
01-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi All,

This is my first post, long time reader, first time poster.

So was in a games with High Elves and Vampire Counts. A Wright King Challenged a wizard to combat and the wizard declined the challenge. In previous editions that wizard could not cast or dispel but I don't see that rule in 8th edition. So can he still cast and dispel in the back rank? Obviously he can't cast magic missiles but I don't see anything that stops him for doing any other magic stuff.

Thanks in advance!

urzoon
01-28-2011, 01:34 AM
well fiest they can not challange your wizard directly. if you have another character or a unit champion then u can acept with them. If your wis is the only one in the unit then yes he has to move in the back rank. As far as i have seen and the general consisis of my gaming group is that he can still cast buffs but thats it.

Bean
01-28-2011, 04:43 AM
Being moved as the result of a refused challenge does not affect a wizard's ability to cast spells in any way.

gcsmith
01-28-2011, 04:20 PM
um urzoon, in this edition U can challange directly I think

Bean
01-29-2011, 02:22 AM
um urzoon, in this edition U can challange directly I think

No, you can't. You issue a challenge. Your opponent then opts whether to accept your challenge and which of his or her characters or unit champions will accept if he or she does. If your opponent declines, you may choose one of his or her characters (not a unit champion, though) and force it to move to a place in its unit where it can't attack. As an added benefit, the unit is not allowed to benefit from its leadership while it hides in disgrace.

It does nothing to stop wizards from casting spells, though, so if your only character is a wizard it's usually a good idea to refuse the challenge--the worst that will happen is that your wizard is pushed out of harm's way! (of course, if you're relying on his leadership for your unit, you may want to reconsider.)

celestialatc
01-31-2011, 10:03 AM
In this instance my unit champion was killed in a duel and I would have been forced to accept with the wizard.

Thank you for clarifying this issue. It does make sense to have the wizard in the back then, throwing out some buffs and debuffs.

gcsmith
01-31-2011, 03:38 PM
kk then the person I played 1st in the edition lied :P