PDA

View Full Version : are skinks worth it

Slug
01-23-2011, 06:43 PM
I've been rummaging through my stuff and after finding an old battalion box of lizardmen I thought of fixing them up to a small 1000 point list.
However the trouble I see is that when using skinks if you get them to within 12 inches of the enemy and fire multiple shots you suffer -3 to your shooting and so you hit on 7s. Thus the poisoned attacks that make them effective are negated, so are they really worth it because with the new charge rules even dwarves have a chance of getting to them, then you have the option of fleeing on low leadership or standing and shooting where you do get poisoned attacks but you will most likely lose the combat.
So the question is, are skinks worth it, you can always back them up with saurus and hope you don't flee after the first round of combat, or you can use kroxigors but then the units are getting very expensive and arn't skirmishers, or use javalins which I don't really want to do. But it seems as a skirmisher unit designed to whittle down other units they are a bit flawed.

novatomato
01-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Regular skinks can be game winners especially as they can now march and shoot, they can easily be within short range on a flank of the target, and when you are not then just don't double shoot. The way to think with theses guys is "how do I get to a 6+ to hit to maximize poison."

urzoon
01-28-2011, 02:22 AM
if u use the skirmishers they do not suffer for moving

novatomato
01-28-2011, 09:24 AM
That is incorrect urzoon

Skirmishers may can shoot even if they marched or reformed but the normal -1 To Hit penalty for moving and shooting still applies. Page 77 of the giant book of mass rules.