PDA

View Full Version : 40K Glorious Moments

eldargal
08-30-2009, 05:14 AM
What have been your favourite moments in your 40k career? Moments when due to luck or brilliant tactics you uttely annihilated your foe? (I know there is a similar topic for CC, this isn't intended to duplicate)

Here are a couple of mine:

A critical moment in a huge Apocalypse game, my farseer and Ghazghkull get into LOS. My farseer casts mindwar, rolls a 6. Ork player rolls a 1. Five wounds on Ghazghkull, charge of my banshees and scorpions soon after routs the centre of his army and I capture the objective.

A wave serpent decants 10 howling banshees and a farseer who go on to destroy an IG platoon and the serpent destroys a leman russ squad (incredibly lucky rolls I admit. And no autocannons) And the IG player laughed at me for getting my farseer 'up close and personal'.

KnightShift
08-30-2009, 05:52 AM
Destroying a Chaos-possessed Rhino with only my klaw-equipped Ork Warboss (who I have affectionately named "KaNeeGutz", the Ork-corrupted version of my last name :D ). He didn't even have to fire his gun. He literally destroyed the Rhino "bare-handed", causing it to explode while taking NO damage to himself!!

I'm still rather new to 40K mind ya, but even so, that was hecka spectacular to behold :)

jimbobjeff
08-30-2009, 06:14 AM
I had a vostroyan junior officer kill a carnifex with his laspistol, that made me laugh, the fact that he then got eaten by genestealers is niether here nor there...

Kahoolin
08-30-2009, 06:47 AM
My lone surviving warboss was once caught in the open towards the end of a 1500pts game. He survived a round of shooting from about 600 pts of Tau, including a direct hit from a hammerhead's railgun, and then on my turn managed to just reach the closest team of fire warriors. After eating the fish 'eadz for breakfast he was unfortunately unable to consolidate into their mates and was gunned down next turn.

The most amazing thing about this was that it was in 4th ed, when Orks sucked a whole lot more than they do now and Tau kicked ***.

Denzark
08-30-2009, 06:48 AM
A THSS (sole survivor of an entire IG army's shooting) charges a 10 man guard squad upstais in a forgeworld administratum. Hestan is wating to follow up. The Terminator does sufficient casualties that HEstan is now left outside 6"...and in TLOS through a window, of a 3-lascannon heavyweapon squad with no other targets.

2 hits, 1 failed invulnerable save, good bye HEstan (my personal nemesis). I hate that fellow...

icecube
08-30-2009, 06:49 AM
My best 40K moment was when i played an 2000 pts game against another ork army. In the middle of the table there was an HUGE CC with about 8 units. The combat ended when his Storboyz slew my warboss and routed the last few boyz.

Xas
08-30-2009, 09:45 AM
my best moment... prolly jsut right now:

I had a leman russ with battlecanon and lascanon (the russ will prolly get a FW vanquisher turret just to show how mean he is to other tanks... killed 8 in 3 games so far) and my oponent had 2 shooty dreadnoughts about 3" apart.

my tank shoots the battlecanon and scatters perfectly on top of the OTHER dreadnought. the lascannon hits the intended target and he manages to blow up both of them.
GOLDEN SHOT :)

the game before he targeted a space arine squad in cover, hits and blasts 5 of 5 marines into oblivion (none made any saves).

other nice things:
a 10 manv et squad with meltaguns, shotguns, pwoer weapon and demo-charge managed to shoot-charge-whipeout my oponents 5 man + librarian TH/SS termie squad two games in a row.

Exitus Acta Probat
08-30-2009, 11:14 AM
3rd edition BIG unit of grots (being led by the infamous 'red gobbo' model...)...

As a good Ork player, I threw them into the face of a 5 man Chaos Termie squad, as a speed bump.

Grot blasters go off with a resounding BOOM(more like a lot of 'piff piffs', with one or two booms involving flying grot feces).
Peas/Rocks and a few chunks of metal fly...and a Termie drops. (I'm thinking, jabeebus...that unit just paid for itself-WOOT!)

Assault phase, I charge. 20 lowly grots pile into these hulking monstrous beasts (I think they were more afraid of the Nobz behind em). A flurry of blows and screams and feats of blinding cowardice, and somewhere along the lines someone gets a bayonet to the bum...and another termie goes down.
The dreaded powerfists go...and not a grot dies. I saw more ones than I ever want to see again in a roll...thank goodness they were his.
He rolls 11 for ldrship...and I run him down.

Similar to one of the posts about worst moments in GW history, but it was glorious! (unfortunately, the next shooting phase saw the spiteful redirection of all Chaos fire on the table into that lowly yet heroic mob...if orks had any kind of memory, they might have planted a memorial on the bloody smear in the ground)

BuFFo
08-30-2009, 03:58 PM
yesterday I participated in the Lucky 13 scenario...

one side had 9000 points

our side had 5500

End of turn 5, my side won :)

2x Chaos and Tyranid versus our Eldar and Dark Eldar/IG mix armies.

Fun times during that game :)

Aegis
08-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Back in the days before Apocalypse, we were doing a wonderful mega battle in my FLGS; Imperium vs. Tyranids. The Tyranids, amazingly enough, were 30k points of nid's suppled by a pair of brothers (too much time/money, but damn impressive), and the Imperium was made up of whoever we could get. I think it took a sum of 12 players to scrounge up that many points.

Anyway... So, my infantry force is holding the centre, which at first I think is wonderful, as I will not have to deal with the nasty flank business. Nope, just a couple 'fexes and a tyrant or two, oh, and a wad of gaunts... Well, first turn goes well, I shoot, we kill, some 'nids die! Glory to the Emperor. Turn two, things go downhill as the 'nids begin assualting. The gaunts crash my lines, start wrecking everything on all fronts. Though, oddly, one unit of Catachans I have in the centre. They take a wound, lose combat, fail the test. This is where it becomes fun. The Commissar summarily executes the sarge for his cowardice, rerolls the morale, and gets snake eyes. An omen of things to come. Next couple rounds, casualties are mounting everywhere, except on this unit of Catachans. They continue to take one wound a turn, and amazingly, roll three more sets of snake eyes over the game.

Long story short, by the end of the game (Massacre for the 'nids), only one unit of the Imperium remained, the Catachans with the Commissar. The stood fast, and were insanely brave. May have lost the game, but I take it as a moral victory.

BlacknightIII
08-30-2009, 05:19 PM
This was during an apacolypse game where my partner had 3,000 points of tau and was to hold our flank against tyranids.
He was rolling impressively all game but by turn 3 the nids were about to surround him and take him out.
He went from 30+ crisis suits down to 7. The tyranid player got a little overzealous and overextended all of his gaunts past the point of synapse. That an with a lil help from some Lemun Russ we kept the synapse units cowering of splattered. My friend in a last ditch effort decides to unload all of his guns into the oncoming nids and assaults what was well over 40 gaunts with his crisis suits. He goes on to kill a whopping 17 guants in cc. The guants destroy one crisis suit and fail leadership and shockingly are run down. We ended up losing all the objectives except the one the tau was holding.

MUMBLES
08-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Played in an apocalypse battle, called in a target with the strategic asset that allows everything to hit the designated target on a 2+ for the turn in shooting. Shot everything on the board at an undamaged reaver titan, ending with two turbo laser destructor hits from my warhound. Finally killed the thing and it went nuclear and destroyed a good portion of an ork army and a few eldar vehicles as well. I was so stoked that my warhound got a kill marking that day!

Corsair117
09-01-2009, 01:32 PM
playing an apocalypse game my friend was proxying a warhound titan which managed to go the majority of the game without taking any damage thanks to its void shields.

fifth turn my partner managed to finally drop its void shields by pouring all his firepower into it so i move one of my baneblades forward hoping to capitalize on the opening, first lascannon shot manages to penetrate and i manage to roll 2 6s and a 5 on the super heavy damage table. sadly only managed to get a wrecked result for catastrophic damage.

skarzog
09-01-2009, 01:36 PM
It's not awesomely glorious, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

Played a 1500pt planetstrike the other day, nids vs guard. A hive tyrant was charging towards one of my bunkers. My lone platoon commander was the only thing standing in his way. During my shooting phase, he took aim with his laspistol and caused a wound of the giant beast. He died a horrible death in assault the next turn, but the tyrant will be forever scarred.

thatguyjames
09-01-2009, 01:44 PM
As a black templar player many of my biggest 40k moments have come directly from the Emperor's champion himself.

In a doubles tournament he managed to kill Belial, a librarian, and an ultramarine captain. He also managed to consolidate out of combat far enough to charge into a fresh squad sitting on a vital objective, winning the game and the tournament.

A disastrous game against shooty guard swung heavily back in my favor when the champ charged a combined squad of 40 guardsmen, winning the combat without a single wound on him and running the remaining 37 men to the ground... by himself.

And perhaps in the luckiest game deciding quirk of fate ever, the champion had just finished off an ork mob and found himself alone in the middle of a sizable gap. It being the ork player's turn, his Mek decided to unleash some Shokk Attack on me, rolling snake eyes, and having the Mek and two whole squads of shoota boyz vanish from the table, leaving my champion unscathed and free to finish off the remaining boyz the next turn.

Rissan4ever
09-01-2009, 01:51 PM
In a friendly one-off, I once had a single Guardman hold off a Tau Crisis Suit in close combat for 3 straight turns. Pvt. Garnier's guts and tenacity didn't win the game, but it did get him promoted to Corporal.

Brother Mord
09-01-2009, 01:57 PM
I played a second edition game in which my opponent took Kharn.

2nd edition was where characters were capable of destroying entire armies by themselves. Usually for a basic trooper to even get a hit or wound on a character you had to have a large squad attacking before the to hit bonus added up high enough.

Kharn charged into combat with a tactical squad of my DIY chapter marines. He wiped out the entire squad except one marine (hence forth named trooper jones). In return through incredible luck trooper jones actually put a wound on Kharn.

Next turn through incredibly horrible dice rolling Jones survived Kharns attacks and if memory serves me right he again actually wounded Kharn (this is when you made an armor save it was something like 3+ save rolled on 2d6 modified by strength, or something similar. Sorry been a while).

The following turn my grey knights arrived and charged into combat and finished off Kharn but poor trooper jones was killed by Kharn.

While trooper jones did die, It was an absolutly epic moment for my basic tactical marine to last for two turns of hand to hand combat against Kharn under the 2nd editon rules.

Marine With A Mullet
09-01-2009, 02:30 PM
4th edition vets in a razorback, against orks. Razorback destroyed, but not exploded.
This then forms a bottle-neck that allows my vets to fight their way slowly through the WHOLE ork army. :D

Audun54
09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
killing a bloodthirster in CC with a squad of guardsmen with the bloodthirster charging in a 1500 point game back in 3rd edition
it charged and missed with all of its attacks and then suffered one wound and died to instability
my opponent was literally crying when this happened

kevlarmonkey
09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
five DH stormtroopers and one rolling up on my opponents landraider full of over priced tricked out terminators and blowing it up in the first turn with a melta gun

my squad of firewarriors taking down a already wounded hive tyrant in cc

we were playing a makeshift game of apocalypse (before apocalypse existed) and felt that the game was unbalanced so we gave the other side a free chaos dreadnought and landraider that I then went ahead and nuked in the first turn with my broadsides

these were all 4th edition

The Lord
09-01-2009, 03:09 PM
As a black templar player many of my biggest 40k moments have come directly from the Emperor's champion himself.

In a doubles tournament he managed to kill Belial, a librarian, and an ultramarine captain. He also managed to consolidate out of combat far enough to charge into a fresh squad sitting on a vital objective, winning the game and the tournament.

A disastrous game against shooty guard swung heavily back in my favor when the champ charged a combined squad of 40 guardsmen, winning the combat without a single wound on him and running the remaining 37 men to the ground... by himself.

And perhaps in the luckiest game deciding quirk of fate ever, the champion had just finished off an ork mob and found himself alone in the middle of a sizable gap. It being the ork player's turn, his Mek decided to unleash some Shokk Attack on me, rolling snake eyes, and having the Mek and two whole squads of shoota boyz vanish from the table, leaving my champion unscathed and free to finish off the remaining boyz the next turn.

I started playing 40k with Black Templars and my Emperor's Champion was always such a Bad *** most of my memorable moments involve him in some way.

my favorite moment was when he got stranded out in the open and charged by 3 or 4 Ravenors, i thought he was done for but no! they inflicted 0 wounds and every single one of my attacks hit and wounded and he ran the rest down.

The AKH
09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I think my most glorious 40k moment in recent memory would be where my last Terminator (of a squad of six) went toe-to-toe with Belial, Master of the Deathwing.

Belial inflicted two wounds on my termie... and I rolled two sixes in a row for my Crux Terminatus save. The Terminator then promptly proceeded to punch Belial in the face, killing him.

I cheered, loudly, in the middle of a moderately-crowded gameshop :D

erfunk
09-01-2009, 03:35 PM
After Cities of Death came out I was playing against Necrons as DH with inducted Guard. He went first. The Destroyer Lord moved up behind cover and was out of LoS the first turn. In the following 5 turns I put the Lord down 5 times, but every time he got back up. The last time, the only thing I had left to shoot at him was my 3 surviving guardsmen. I only got one lasgun hit, but somehow that was enough. The game ended and he didn't get another WBB roll. I lost but figure I got a moral victory. And that one Guardsman got a medal.

Last week I played a game as SMs against Dark Eldar. By the bottom of turn 5 there was a single troop model alive on the entire board, a Multi-melta gunner from a half tactical squad. He was hiding inside a gunless Rhino that had just been immobilized by the DE, was about 6" from the nearest objective, and had a mostly unmolested HQ retinue between him and his destination. The HQ himself had just overdosed on his pills, rolling triple 1s. But his men were in the open and my Vindicators were both up and running. It was tight quarters, and there was really only a couple models I could validly place the large blast over without hitting my own vehicle. No guts no glory. The first shot scattered, the center moving over the edge of the Rhino, but still took a few of his DE out. The rhino exploded and killed even more. The sole marine was now in the front corner of the crater, praying lightning would only strike once. Still no clear path. The next Vindicator, and the last thing I'd get to shoot before the game might end, fired into the last Raider which was next to the whole mess and had DE sheltered up against it. A hit! It was wrecked and more of the DE evaporated, leaving only his two blasters. But they were spaced perhaps 4-5" apart, and neither of them were in contesting range of the objective. A quick run roll later, and I split the middle to be on the objective. We rolled for turn 6 but the game ended. A miraculous win, though he could have forced a tie if he hadn't been so worried about his blasters surviving.

Archon
09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Kroot: One Kroot out of 12 is in 23" and can draw a LoS to a couple of Thousand Sons. One hit, one wound, one failed save. On the other side of the table a lone wise one of the Kroot hides in a ruin while some TS-Terminators were advancing. He pulls the trigger and inflicted two wounds ... the dices for the armour roll came up with a double one:D

eldaraddict
09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
My favorite was when an ork bike squad charged my Scorpions squad. During the second round of CC, the ork nob and scorpion exarch killed each other simultaneously with their power claws.

Balrog The Buff
09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I think the best story I can say is Abaddon taking his last wound from my demolisher blowing up in his face after he ripped its engine to shreds. That was great.

Also I love having my Guardsmen assaulted by Assault Marines and win.

This last weekend I had a horrible day though with 3 out of 4 of my tanks failing their difficult terrain tests and being immobilized right away! They were a Demolisher and two Bane Wolfs... I am working on putting together dozer blades today...

imperialsavant
09-01-2009, 06:36 PM
What have been your favourite moments in your 40k career? Moments when due to luck or brilliant tactics you uttely annihilated your foe? (I know there is a similar topic for CC, this isn't intended to duplicate)

Here are a couple of mine:

;) Two that I particularly remember are my remaining Penitant Engine (they dont seem to suvive long!) charging a squad of Nurgle Marines & wiping them out completely in just 2 rounds of HtH.
Then a lone BT crusader taking out an Ork Trukk loaded with 20 Boyz with a single Lascannon Shot destroying the Trukk & virtually all the Boyz in the resultant Explosion. Much LoL from me!:p

Guta
09-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Playing against a friend of mine, space marine vs space marine. I proceeded to blow up most of his vehicles in the first two turns, and all of his plasma weapons overheated anytime he shot them in the whole game.

DarkLink
09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
My local group has been playing a four person campaign with some house rules that give your commander buffs based on how well they do in their games. I'm playing Grey Knights. My two commanders are Titus Grande and Titus Petite (don't ask). Both are mere Brother Captains, one with a psycannon and the other an Incinerator.
I have only used Titus Petite for the last three or four games, but he has consistently gone on a blood soaked killing rampage. In one game, he killed several Striking Scorpions, a squad of 6 Howling Banshees, a small unit of Pathfinders, a squad of 5 Fire Dragons, and a Wraithlord. 400 something points, single handedly.
In three of his other games, he killed between 250 to 400 points on his own (I usually run him with a GKT retinue, but because of our houserules, we roll our commanders attacks seperate in order to tally up how much they kill).

Shortly after I started playing 40k (in the last year or two of the 3.5 Chaos Dex), our store did a 4000 point per side battle. I had a decked out Khornate Biker Lord with a bodyguard of three bikers. Deployment resulted in the lord and bikes sitting across an empty field from about 1500 points of space marines and necrons. I turbo boosted forward, and the three bikers were shot down. The Lord then preceded to singlehandedly kill almost every single model of that 1500 points. He was shrugging off lascannon shots from predators left and right. He survived having only taken a single wound. I have yet to see or hear of any other single 40k model survive so much to this day. We named him Kard the Immortal.

Son of Dorn
09-01-2009, 08:40 PM
In an Apocalypse tournament Lysander took out a Macharius Vulcan that was tearing up my whole left flank. He broke off from his squad of Terminators who went off to deal with a Leman Russ lurking in a building.

When Lysander got to the tank it turned out my opponents had not moved it in the previous turn.

Lyle lets loose and sets off a chain reaction, which triggers an Apocalyptic Explosion which blast out 15". It literally clears out a huge area of the board.

Opposition tanks and troops are swept away in the conflagration. Buildings are shattered and destroyed.

Lysadner? He's fine. He goes on to destroy a Baneblade a turn later.

That one swipe of The Fist of Dorn ruined my opponents. They were fighting a retreat from that point on. But they had been too bold and were too close to escape. So many imperial guardsmen, which almost no tanks left to protect them.

They got savaged.

DarkLink
09-02-2009, 12:00 AM
I was in a game where Lysander did pretty much the same thing, destroying a Brass Scorpion (killing everything but Lysander within a 24" radius), then singlehandedly holding off a massive Chaos assault across a narrow bridge.

Fuegan17
09-02-2009, 12:06 AM
My leman russ demolisher got lucky and landed a round on a necron warrior squad that ported through a monolith and killed all 20 with a single shot.

Axel
09-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Hmmm....a few spring to mind. Perhaps the one that makes me giggle the most still was way way back in the dark ages of 2nd edition. I was playing Eldar vs Chaos (marines). As it was a friendly game we had allowed special characters - as it turned out I was facing Cypher. Turn 1 was mine, one super-duper Shrieker Cannon round later and the legendary super-man Cypher was wandering around out of control and out of his mind! :) If I remember correctly he continued to drunken-stagger for the remainder of the game, being a constant reminder of my friend's failure.

More recently, I was playing Guard vs (more numerous) Guard. Capture and control with maximum objectives - all were in cover except one roughly midway on my right flank. Covering this objective in the open I had a LRMBT, Armoured Sentinel, a lone Infantry Sqad and a Platoon Command Squad. These faced off against a missile launcher HW squad, a lascannon HW squad and (I think) a platoon of 3 Infantry squads and Platoon Command. I was playing second. Turn 1, the LR kills a few of his amigos. Sentinel et al are ineffective.Turn 2, the LR died to a string of 6's from the lascannon HW team. D'oh!. Sentinel and Infantry succeed in causing the retreat of the culpabale lascannon dudes. Turn 3, Sentinel loses it's gun and is immobilised. D'oh!!! Now I have to try to at least contest the objective against a tide of lasguns AND 3 frags/turn. Without my "heavy" armour. We both skulk in cover sniping each other until Turn 5. He makes a break for the objective with the Command Squad and the best surviving amigos, rolls a 6 for run and claims it. I have 3 men remaining in the infantry squad (Sarge, 'nade man and "John"), plus the full Command Squad and make a break for it with both the Platoon Command Squad and Infantry, contesting the objective. A LOT of shooting was focused into trying to force his withdrawal. I got his Platoon Command, but not the Infantry. We roll for end of game, Turn 6 begins. D'oh! His infantry stands and delivers, along with a good chunk of other gear (47.5" range missile launcher shot anyone?). My Platoon Command evaporates into red mist. 7 "saveable" wounds are suffered by the Infantry squad. D'oh!! 2 wounds on Sarge, he dies. 2 wounds on 'nade man, he karks it too. 3 wounds on "John". Three 6's! Huzzah! Long live the almighty flak armour!! Snake-eyes for morale! I contest the objective and thankfully win at the end of Turn 6, 2-1. If anyone can think of something appropriate to model for "John" besides a purity seal, I'm all ears. Though, really, it'll be my eyes...

erfunk
09-02-2009, 12:56 AM
A Callidus Assassin dances her way through over half a Tau army singlehandedly. Winning combats when she needs to, crossing the gaps on the right turns to never be shot at once. I can't remember if she took a wound or not. Ah, the silliness of the kill zone and 4th ed consolidation rules.

Chadmack
09-02-2009, 12:59 AM
At Battle in the Vines this year tank shocking a whole squad of eldar jetbikes with a rhino and watching them fail moral and run off the board.

Half his troops gone without a shot fired.

Same game the same rhino tank shocked a squad of fire dragons, my opponent performed a successful heroic intervention, the rhino exploded and killed 3/4 of them.

League game, My thunder fire cannon landing an average of 3 hits out of 4 all game. Taking out 7 marines in a turn.

sorienor
09-02-2009, 03:53 AM
In 2nd round 'ard boys 2008, I had ghazzy + 9 nobs wipe out:

7 Assault termies
36 black templar marines
Emp's Chump
1 LRC

Lost 6 nobs and 1 wound on ghazzy in return.

Emperor's champion doesn't do so well against Ghazghkull :D

Wolfshade
09-02-2009, 04:43 AM
Glorious moment way back in 2nd Edition where you got bonus for being 2nd, 3rd etc in combat, my 30 man death company took out 4 greater demons, it was awesome, though by then end I was having difficulty holding all the dice required to roll, and trying to tally up the critical hits/fumbles was a work for big peices of paper and a calculator

Valkerie
09-07-2009, 07:47 PM
One of the glorious moments was back in 3rd edition. I had an Imperial Guard army, my opponent had a Black Templer force, (Armeggedon), 1500 pts. It was a night fight, and I got the first turn. I was so sure I was going to lose, that I placed two squads at the far end of the boards, figuring I could contest two quarters because my opponent wouldn't have enough time to get down there and kill them.

My second shot of the battle was from a basilisk agaisnt his Land Raider Crusader. I rolled a six for penetration, and a further six for ordnance damage, annihilating the LRC, filled with an assault squad, a captain with lightning claws, and the Emperor's Champion, all told, about 500 to 600 hundered points. The rest of the battle went pretty much the same way. The Black Templers swept into hand to hand, and failed to inflict a single wound. My Guard wiped the assault squad out in return. By the time the battle was over, the only forces he had left were a Rhino and a Tactical Squad who were hiding behind a hill. Essentially, my second shot decided the game. He never has really forgiven me for beating his BTs that day.

Vulture
09-09-2009, 05:30 AM
It was in my 3rd or 4th game ever of 40K when the single missile launcher I had attached to my imperial guardsmen squad fired - for lack of a better target - onto a squad of space wolves in cover. The space wolves were led by some kind of leader in terminator armor and my opponent opted to take the hit with this model for he would have a 2+ armor save with reroll against it. Of course he rolled a double 1!

Teaches the puppies not to jump after every stick that comes flying by. :D :cool:

Vulture

Lanparth
09-09-2009, 06:06 AM
I've had hundreds of these kinds of moments. But my favorite would have to be the time I had a single wound Chaos Lord killed hordes of Guardsmen back in 3rd Ed, by doing one or two wounds to the squad, and then running them down, and watching this happen 3-4 times in one game was funny, especially since on one turn, he killed 1 guardsmen from 2 squads, and both fled off the table due to Daemonic Vissage >.>

PostWarFolk
09-09-2009, 09:41 PM
The game was seize ground and I was playing against a Tau army with my IG. Needed to get this one particular objective to win that was being occupied by 10 fire warriors and a devilfish. Everything seemed to miss except my lonely infantry squad sergent armed with a plasma pistol. The devilfish exploded taking out most of the FW and leaving the rest to flee. Call it luck or bad rolls for my enemy. I secured the objective and won the game.

Red__Thirst
09-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Got a couple of them. The first one is just humerous.

I had a blood angels rhino straight tank shock and run over a carnifex.

I mean, straight up speed bumped it. It was towards the end of the game, I had really had a sub-par game in terms of dice rolls and my friend's tyranids were just unstoppable that game. I lost, but not before the following happened. I had very little left on the board including one functioning rhino. I figgured what the hey, might as well try a tank shock on the 'Fex. He rolled his 2D6 for death or glory and proceeded to get a penetrating hit, ripping the weapon off the the top of the tank, but not stopping it (Go extra armor!) so.. *BUMP-SQUISH!*

Another glorious moment was when I was fielding my crimson fists. I had a Space Marine Captain single handedly hold a flank versus no fewer than 8 Ork warbikes. He was down to one wound, and was kitted out for hand to hand, weilding a powerfist and a Relic Blade (What? It's a good combo!) A tactical squad softened them up, knocking two of them down before the captain charged in alone and swung his 4 attacks, hitting with all four and then wounding them all too. The 2 remaining orks broke and ran, leaving him standing victorious. He survived that game with one wound left and helped crush another 30 man squad with the help of a bike squad before all was said and done. Looking back that was one helluva game.

Those are my entries. ;)

-Red__Thirst-

HellCrusader
05-09-2010, 02:32 PM
4th ed. doubles battle. My DIY marines and a friends ultrasmurfs vs. orks and chaos.
They went first, an ork truk running down one flank. My missile launcher destroys said truk forcing the warboss and nobs to disembark. Next turn they assault my tac. squad only my, lightening claw sergent surviving. After a counter-charge from calgar and his honour guard all the orks are dead.
My lone sergent then wanders of to the wrecked truk which has blocked of most of that flank leaving enough space for a single model to pass between it and the rocky mound next to it. My sergent charges into the boys following the truk and hold them there for a full three turns before they broke and he ran them down.
The rest of our army died horribly to deep striking chaos terminators and all the rest, but that sergent never once failed a save or leadership test, and was promoted to Captain and got a suit of TDA. Since then he has survived every battle ive played him in (although i am guilty of sometimes hiding him behind armour 14 just to make sure he survives the last turn).

DarkLink
05-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Not long ago, in a tournament (which I happened to win), I had a squad of IST's with meltaguns in reserve. My opponent was outflanking with a unit of chosen with a bunch of meltaguns.

His chosen came in, drove up and popped smoke.

My ISTs came in immediately after that. They drove up 6", and shot two meltaguns out the top hatch, destroying my opponent's Rhino and killing two of the five chosen.

The chosen jump out, and respond my melta-ing the IST Rhino. They then assault the three ISTs that survived the explosion.

The three remaining chosen fail to do anything to the ISTs for three rounds of combat, while the three ISTs pick off the chosen one by one.

The ISTs win combat, and consolidate into cover. On the other side of this cover, a Daemon Prince with one wound left is hiding from my Land Raider's Lascannons, ready to pounce next turn.

The ISTs then shoot their one meltagun, and two hellguns. The Melta fails to wound, but the Hellguns cut down the Daemon Prince.

The three ISTs had just killed a unit of Chaos Chosen, and a Daemon Prince:D. That turn of events was enough to win me the game, and make up for the dozen or so cover saves he made on his Obliterators and Rhinos against my Lascannons earlier.

BuFFo
05-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Adepticon 2006

Game 5 of 5 of the tournament.

Mission was to kill your opponent's General, which is your costliest HQ.

My Dark Eldar versus Night Lords.

Night Lords went first, and infiltrated his Chaos Lord and Chosen bodyguard next to my deployment line behind a building and out of my LOS.

My Archon and Incubi leaped out of a Raider, and charged his HQ.

I used my Combat Drug Dispenser, and rolled triples.

My Archon blew up, turn 1.

We were both confused, since he didn't kill my General. I did.

We called a judge, and the judge ruled that it was impossible for my opponent to win, since I had no more General.

My incubi killed his Chaos Lord, and we called the game, 5 minutes in, on turn 1.

He couldn't even tie the game. I won because my General killed herself.

Epic on a scale beyond scales.

addamsfamily36
05-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Hmmm this is a tough one, but i think my favorite moment has to be this:

My blood angels (3rd ed) versus a friends all genestealer army. I had lost everything but my librarian and my chaplain. The death company had been wiped out, and between the two of them they took out 30 yes 30 genestealers. they saved a ridiculous amount of invunerable saves.

was amazing

BuFFo
05-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Hmmm this is a tough one, but i think my favorite moment has to be this:

My blood angels (3rd ed) versus a friends all genestealer army. I had lost everything but my librarian and my chaplain. The death company had been wiped out, and between the two of them they took out 30 yes 30 genestealers. they saved a ridiculous amount of invunerable saves.

was amazing

Damn, and that was back when Stealers had power weapons!

addamsfamily36
05-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Damn, and that was back when Stealers had power weapons!

I know!! they made mince meat of everything else but they just wouldn't die!!

DarkLink
05-09-2010, 03:58 PM
We did a massive pre-apocalypse battle way, way back in 4th ed. My Khorne Lord and 3 bike retinue were deployed on one side. Across the way, roughly 1500pts got deployed facing only my Lord.

The Lord turbo-boosted across, and the enemy 1500pts opened fire. They killed the three bikers, but left the Lord untouched.

The Lord then proceeded to wipe the floor with the entire 1500 points of units in his area of the board. Over the course of the game, he shrugged off dozens of Lascannon shots, units Rapid Firing him, and all the close combats he was in, only taking a single wound. He killed pretty much everything in front of him, and was still going strong when the game ended.

I've never heard nor seen such an act of blood-shedding as that before or since then. He simply ate through every single unit that he touched, then laughed off the massive amounts of return fire he took and then started killing again. The sheer number of saves and kills the Lord make was astounding.

I named him Karde the Immortal:D.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
05-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Back in the day of 2nd ed... a friend who no longer plays, used my Dark Angel army agaisnt chaos.
During the battle Abbadon gets within line os site of a termie squad, he shoots kills 2 Deathwing, one was the Cyclone Missile launcher.

Now back in 2nd ed if you hit a cyclone launcher you had to roll to see if it exploded or went off. Well he rolled just the number and it had catastrophic launch, and 4 missiles went off, one killed a heavy weapon trooper, another immobilized a LR and the last hit Abadon himself, he fails all his saves and dies.
My freind couldnt stop laughing.

For me, it woudl be my Cannoness killing a Bloodthirster and then killing 4 possessed single handidly.

Sangre
05-09-2010, 11:59 PM
I've got a Rhino, from the 3rd ed Blood Angels days, that never, ever passed an overcharged engines test. It always, and I mean always, broke down right in the field of fire. There's only one time this ever worked to my advantage.

So here was the plan: Get my squad of marines, with Mephiston, riding in Ol' Lucky, driving into a unit of fire warriors, through a small gap between two big rocks, prompt a tank shock, mop them up afterwards.

Here's the execution: Drive towards the fire warriors, until the engine sputters and dies. Disembark the squad, huddled behind the Rhino. There is about a two-inch gap between the back of the immobilised Rhino and the rocks, through which the models could squeeze.

The fire warriors opened, well, fire, on the rhino. They are, for the most part, mere inches away from it.

It exploded.

All the fire warriors die.

So do some of my men, but that's life.

Fellend
05-10-2010, 02:36 AM
One of my absolute favorites and also one of my first games was when an Apocalypse battle. My 1200 points of Black Templar were left behind to act as supreme commander (worth 2 kill points) and defend our Temple (which was their vital objective apparently, another 2 points) When infront of me started dropping down over 5000 points of chaos daemons.
Alone against all of this I did the only thing a loyal servant of the Emperor could do. I charged. And the Emperor provided. I huge choke point where he got caught with one of his daemon princes. I slew 1 daemon prince and two greater daemons, and countless little creeps (didn't even know their names at that point) with Ordinary crusader squads and a chaplain. Time and again my chaplain made his invulnerable saves and refused to yield. The game ended. Our supreme commander unharmed and with His temple secured. Unfortunately my xeno "allies" had failed to achieve any major victory so it was considered to be a draw untill they we commenced orbital bombardment and declared the place Exterminatus.

I was honestly still a bit unsure if I should start playing before that game (getting flak from the girl) but after that I was hooked. Long live the Emperor!

Col.Gravis
05-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Hmmm favourite moments, most of them involve my Praetorians dieing gloriously, and sometimes, just sometimes just scraping a victory out of it, even if just a moral one like a Company Commander cutting down an Ork Warboss before being swamped by the next wave of boyz.

But as a single moment, I did love it when using my Sisters in an Apoc game my Canoness which our opponents had kind of ignored as insignificant jumped a Warhound Titan (intact) and chopped it into little pieces with an Eviscerator.

Melissia
05-10-2010, 08:47 AM
My Canoness recently lost her entire retinue in a battle against Space Marines. They had been unusually ineffectual due to bad attack rolls... then suddenly it was like she was on an unstoppable rampage, tearing Marines apart left and right. She fought Calgar to a standstill, only suffering a single wound while all three of her attacks hit and wounded him, and he failed his saves.

A pity that was the last turn.

david5th
05-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Tatical squad missile launcher marine holdinp up aprox 800 points of tyranids on a hill by simply refusing to die.
( Also good dice rolls for me and bad rolls for my opponent helped. )