PDA

View Full Version : Fitness

Grailkeeper
01-30-2011, 04:50 PM
As a new year resolution I have decided to get fit this year. I'm pretty slim but I'm still extremely unfit. Being a nerd I have no expierience as how to use a gym, and am not all that interested in joining one. I'm looking at joining a swimmiong pool and till then doing stomach crunches, push ups and a quick jog around my local park.

Does anyone out there have any advice on how to get fit. Bear in mind that I'm very very unfit and may not be able to do anything other than the very easy basics. For example I'm still to weak to do a single sit up.

Grailkeeper
01-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Incidentally I have found listening to 40k audio books as I run a great help. They're really good.

DarkLink
01-30-2011, 08:30 PM
First off, don't limit yourself to one particular activity. As an example, running is good for you, but only being good at running doesn't make you all that fit, unless you're an Olympic athlete or something anyways. Point is, maintain variety. Do different stuff regularly. Better for you, and keeps things interesting.

Secondly, make up some goals and work towards them. Just going for a jog every other morning won't do you any good if you're just going through the motions. Motivate yourself and push yourself.

Thirdly, intensity trumps time investment. You will get a much better workout doing short sprints as opposed to long slow runs. Do a longer run every once and a while, but the volume of your training should be focused on intensity as opposed to just putting in the hours. It will save you time, and get better results.

Finally, I'll recommend looking up stuff on crossfit.com. While crossfit itself doesn't sound like what you're looking for (though there is frankly no better way to improve your general level of physical fitness unless you're looking to specialize in a very specific sport or activity), there is a lot of very good information on there. Much of it defies the modern fitness trends, mostly because a lot of modern fitness advice is bull$#!#. Crossfit's principles are based upon measurable and repeatable data, and are a good starting point for someone looking to understand how exercise in general works.

scadugenga
01-31-2011, 06:03 AM
What Dark said.

What I can add is that you do not need an expensive gym membership to get in shape. It's also important to do more than just cardio. You need cardio and strength training combined for maximum effectiveness.

You can build a significant amount of strength by just doing body weight exercises. It won't help you look seriously defined and cut, but you will get stronger.

That--and stretch. Flexibility is very important. And the taller you are, it seems the harder it is to get back to being very flexibile. :)

Light stretching before you work out is good. Once your muscles are looser/warmed up, do some more intense stretching.

DarkLink
01-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Well, bodyweight exercises won't help you look as bulky, but you can get plenty cut off them. The big exception is pullups. Moving your bodyweight is more than enough to get big lats.

There are plenty of various bodyweight exercises, but squats, pushups, pullups, situps and burpees form a solid core. Don't forget the squats. They're probably the single best bodyweight exercise you can do, if you do nothing else. Learn to do squats, and learn to do them correctly. It will pay off. Pullups and pushups are perfect for upper body stuff, as well.

Incorperating external weights is fairly important to strength training, but most normal gyms don't provide that great of service in that area anyways. Most of the bulk of gyms are taken up by cardio machines and pulley weights. Free weights are better in every way than pulley weights, assuming you are not injured. Machines almost always either limit motion to one degree of freedom, or force your body to move in a way that isn't natural. If you are too injured or weak for whatever reason to do a particular freeweight movement, then machines can provide a means to work back up to full capacity, but if you can do a freeweight movement, then skip the machines.

Lacking a gym membership, there are ways to use weights for cheap if you don't mind looking a little silly. Sandbags and stuff like that are great. People might just look at you funny if they see you doing kettlebell swings with a sandbag in your front yard, though:rolleyes:.

I'll note that combining cardio and strength simultaneously can give you a fantastic workout. Try running 400m, then doing some pullups and pushups. Repeat 3-4 times. Won't be long before you're so out of breath you can barely run, and it only takes 20 minutes to get in a great workout.

You'll also get the most benifit from static streching after a workout. Warm up beforehand (warmup is very important to performing well and not cramping up or injuring yourself). It's easy to just do a couple rounds of ~10 pushups, situps, pullups and a minute or two of jogging. Then, afterward, go through some streches to cool down.

Denzark
02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I was recently recovering from a knee injury, and massively out of shape. On the Army Rumour Service Forum, a British military forum, I found links to a podcast - 'Couch to 5K' by a fellow called Robert Ullreys.

Thinking the army know a little something about getting fit, I followed this and went from no fitness to this in 9 weeks, needing no more than 35 mins 3 times a week.

I have since had 2 unfit women get back into shape from this. Recommend you google Mr Ullreys, or use the search facility on the Army Rumour Service (www.arrse.co.uk).

Please be aware some of the banter in there is Brit Military, so very black and very obscene.

Cheers,

Drew da Destroya
02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Well, with a website called "Arrse", you'd expect the humor to be a bit black.

Grailkeeper
08-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Sorry for the Blatant thread necromancy, life got in the way so I was only able to start that running course now- I just wanted to say thanks very much Mr Denzark for pointing me to it- it's great!

Necron2.0
08-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Wii fit is kicking my gluteus maximus.

Emerald Rose Widow
08-11-2011, 11:47 PM
swimming isn't a bad place to start though because an intense swim session exercizes a lot of muscles. It doesn't exercize all of them, but it does do a lot. follow that up with strength training and you can do well.

Though there are a lot of exercize programs out there that have had good results that focus on intensity over short times. but it really depends on what kind of fitness you want when all is said and done.

Denzark
08-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Sorry for the Blatant thread necromancy, life got in the way so I was only able to start that running course now- I just wanted to say thanks very much Mr Denzark for pointing me to it- it's great!

Nay problem mate, it worked a treat for me so I'm glad its of use.

DarkLink
08-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Yeah, swimming is a great workout too. It's like running that uses more than your legs.