PDA

View Full Version : Ogryns

Lord Anubis
08-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Just curious... Has anyone heard rumors or idle chat of plastic Ogryns?

It struck me that the picture with the Ogryn entry in the Guard Codex looks a lot more like one of the plastic WFB Ogres than it does like the existing Ogryn models.

Anything?

Aldramelech
08-30-2009, 12:57 PM
which page mate?

Lord Anubis
08-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Sorry. Page 42. ;)

Aldramelech
08-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Hard to say.....

The artist might have drawn inspiration from Ogres possibly and that might be about it.

Drew da Destroya
08-30-2009, 11:16 PM
I feel like the current Metal Ogryn models just came out too recently for them to be redone in Plastic. It's not surprising to see the Ogryn art looking like an Ogre... I mean, they are the Sci-Fi Ogres anyway.

entendre_entendre
08-31-2009, 12:41 AM
if you wanted to (and were feeling ambitious) you could convert some ogres into ogryns. i've seen an article or 2 about it. sorry no references 'cept in the old WD Canadian supplement from a few years ago :(

gwensdad
08-31-2009, 09:17 AM
if you wanted to (and were feeling ambitious) you could convert some ogres into ogryns. i've seen an article or 2 about it. sorry no references 'cept in the old WD Canadian supplement from a few years ago :(

I'd love to see an article for that. Got any idea where to find the articles? And how much work would it be?

Aldramelech
08-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Id like to see that. I dont have any mainly because of cost.

entendre_entendre
08-31-2009, 10:36 AM
the article in the CND WD supplement (from April 2005) says to use leadbelcher models, put the aquila from the IG tank sprue on them, add some shoulder pads made from belly plates and ork bitz. to make the guns just use a combo of Ork, & IG guns (mainly heavy wpns). then just some minor green stuff work to make pouches and a shirt or two & you're done.
would've loved to post pics, but i still haven't figured out if my printer/scanner can actually scan crap to my computer :(

Lord Anubis
08-31-2009, 04:31 PM
I feel like the current Metal Ogryn models just came out too recently for them to be redone in Plastic

Well, they turned the possessed marines around pretty fast though, didn't they? Was it less than a year after the metal five-pack that the plastic ones came out? The new Ogrys have been around a lot longer than that... :(

I've actually done this before for my Penal Legion. I used the regular Bulls. It's not that hard at all, even when I completely scratch-built the ripper guns. Clip off the pointed toes, putty up the belly, and you're good to go.

To be honest, I was going to try doing it again (and taking it a little farther) for some Catachan Ogryns and then I saw that picture. So I just wanted to check and make sure it wasn't a case where everyone except me knew plastic ones were coming out in December or something... ;)

oni
09-01-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't know if I'd use them even if they were plastic.

R3con
09-01-2009, 12:49 PM
As long as they plastic pricing is lower than the metal ones i'm all for it..

Beef Nuggets
09-01-2009, 01:52 PM
I've got a squad of metal ones I never used before in any of my games.

But I would definitely try a orgyn heavy army if there were the plastic alternatives!

Rissan4ever
09-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't know if I'd use them even if they were plastic.

Ogryns have never been high-efficiency troops. They're good in close combat, but not great. The new T5 makes them much better than they were because Marine Power Fists can insta-kill them anymore. That makes them a decent heavy speed bump against assault armies, but that's about it. I use them for that and as shock troops. They may not do much damage in the long run, for a turn or two, they attract a bunch of attention, which allows my Guardsmen to do the real work.

But the best reason to use Ogryns is because the models look really cool. Also, besides Ratlings, Ogryns are the one place in an IG army where you can be downright goofy with your modeling and painting without detracting from the theme of the army.

Hikaru-119
09-01-2009, 08:18 PM
same here. If they weren't so expensive I'd get some.

Lord Anubis
09-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Dead on, Rissan4ever. I've got a squad of six converted Ogryns and they're great to just plow in. They'll either attract a lot of fire or make a big knot of close combat on the table.

Plus, they all look great in their stitched-together, bright-orange prison fatigues. :D

Bravo-52
09-02-2009, 12:45 AM
I would have to say I think they are a little overpriced for my taste. For a speedbump give me 30 guardsmen with 3 vet sgts and a commissar with power weapons and I'll wade through anything. Even Termies :p

Brother Masariel
09-02-2009, 02:32 AM
..aren't they just freshly casts in metal?
We are dating em last year and since I never saw anyone using them on the field..I'm quite sure there's no gonna be a new box...

shabbadoo
09-02-2009, 04:04 AM
We won't be seeing plastic Ogryns this year.

The West Coast Knight
09-02-2009, 09:03 AM
There is a tutorial on the BOLS website done by I think Goat boy or Brass Scorpion on converting Ogres to Ogryn just use the search feature.
I had the pleasure of playing someone feilding 3 squads of 5 of them lead by a Commissar lord and they were a tough nut to crack.

Zaklifean
09-02-2009, 09:42 AM
I would definitely go for some plastic ogryns. I have always liked them, they are just too expensive. I may have to look into the ogre conversions.

schoon
09-02-2009, 03:03 PM
While I would love to see plastic Ogryns - mostly because I'm not particularly fond of the current batch of sculpts - I agree with others that it's quite unlikely so close on the heels of the release of the metal figs...