10 Hunters 2 flamers, standard, MOW, PF,

10 Hunters 2 flamers, standard, MOW, PF,

5 Thunderwolf Calv
1w/PlasmaPistol, 1w/Melta bomb, 1w/Wolfclaw, 1w/MOW, 1 regular

5 Thunderwolf Calv w/ 5 storm shields and 5 meltabombs

6 long fangs 3 ML 2 HB 130

6 long fangs 3 ML 2 HB 130

=1930

if my math is correct i have 70 points to play with. If im playing a comp game i put the hunters in rhinos but usually i take a Lone wolf for fun cause i love their background.
My only concern in this list is protecting the hunters to claim objectives, but this list wrecks face and my oppenents has more things to worry about than my hunters. please tell me what you think

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
02-03-2011, 06:59 PM
must be good nobody is saying anything im thinking of switching canis and the wolves for something bot dont know what

Smotku
02-03-2011, 08:58 PM
I recently played a friend who used the Canis model but used him as a twin LC wolf lord with warrior born and some other goodies. He said his lord was cheaper than Canis and was just as deadly which I can attest to. he and his 3 man squad of twolves went through my 9 thousand sons, ahriman, a fiveman termy squad with Mo Tzeentch, a sorcerer in termy armor and was finally done in by my havoc squad with 4 lazcannons when he was the only one left with 1 wound. Needless to say I lost. I dont know the details of his build but you might consider replacing canis with something like that.

BTW it helped him tremendously that his wolf priest stopped almost every one of my psychic powers. I alomost turned his lord into a spawn =]

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
02-07-2011, 12:49 PM
thanks smotku,
I was hoping for some more feedback from a few others

Whoop!
02-07-2011, 07:02 PM
I haven't tried out Canis yet, but I do play a lo mech space wolves Army.mine is based off of Rune priests, gray hunters, Njal, and Wolf scouts. It's fun to play and everybody except for my long fangs are troop, which is real nice. Here's my build.

STORM WOLVES, 2500pt
Njal, termi
Irnest the Wise (Rune Priest) master of runes, MB, chooser of the slain
Villam the Black (Rune Priest) master of rooms, chooser of the slain
Ghostalker (battle leader) paired Wolf claws, saga of the Hunter, MB

scout pack (10)MotW, 2PW
scout pack (10)MotW, 2PW, MBs
guard pack (5)MotW, 3 power fists, 1 CombiMelta, 1 Termi w/cyclone missile launcher

Grey hunters (10) MotW, Wolf standard, 2 Melta

predator, heavy Bolter side sponsors, dozer blade
predator, heavy Bolter side sponsors, dozer blade
Long fangs (6) 3 ML, 2 Las cannons

well that's it. The guard pack is split out as squad leaders, giving each a cheap power fist orMotW. The termi goes with the long fangs.
The HQs are all attached to different units it ends up looking like this

Njal, long fangs, and termi w/ cyclone
Irnest the Wise, gray hunters, guard w/ power fist
Villam the Black, Gray Hunters, guard w/ MotW and CombiMelta
Ghostalker (battle leader), Wolf scouts w/o MBs

2x Gray hunters, guard w/ power fist
Scout pack w/ MBs
2x Predators

For the Rune priests I use Jaws of the world world, murderous hurricane, Tempest, and living lightning. I usually give each one offensive and one to limit the movement of opponent.

What this list is really about is taking things away from your opponent, and being rocksteady. The scouts can come off of any edge if you can roll higher than the two. The Rune priests use their powers to make terrain difficult and dangerous, and screwup speeders and jump packs. The chooser of the slain, you have three of him, can completely remove your opponents ability to infiltrate.

I I haven't played this list yet, but I've played a lot with these pieces trying to get the right balance. All of the units proved to be hard to kill, and almost everybody can claim objectives.

What you think? I don't know if this is the kind help you wanted but you go

lowdog
02-08-2011, 10:50 AM
@Whoop:

Obviously you have experience using the list and doing well with it, but isn't Njal's Stormbringer power kinda nerfed by having him hang back with the long fangs? Most of that stuff is relatively short-ranged so it seems he lends himself more to an assault role.

Whoop!
02-08-2011, 12:08 PM
hi lowdog,
I haven't had much experience playing this in tournament, but with my friends it's done pretty well. I do plan on taking it to Ard Boyz this year.

I generally sit Njal on an objective, then cast Tempest and living lightning. Tempest makes drop pods, jump packs, and skimmers that starter and within 24 inches in dangerous terrain, and living lightning is unlimited. This makes it very difficult to assault this objective, plus I have two termi and six long fangs to fight off an attack.

Further I have two other rune priests running up the board using murderous hurricane and jaws of the world Wolf ensuring that two units beyond that 24 inches are also in dangerous terrain.

That and 75 models with space Marine stats makes this list difficult to deal with.

Zeitkraft
02-11-2011, 09:33 AM
For the OP's list;

I ran a list similar to this at a local tournament (no comp). Just one suggestion you could use (I even de-meched it for you :D)

Wolf Lord w/ SS, Runic Armor, Frost Blade, TW Mount, 2 wolves, Saga of Majesty 255

GH squad 10 men with 2x Melta Gun 155

Thunder Wolf Cavalry w/ Frost Blade, SS, Melta Bombs and Bolter 310
Thunder Wolf Cavalry w/ Frost Blade, SS, Melta Bombs and Bolter 310

Long Fangs w/ 5x ML 140
Long Fangs w/ 5x ML 140
Long Fangs w/ 5x ML 140

Total 1760

By dropping the Rhinos from the Grey Hunters and Razorbacks from the Long Fangs you end up with 240 points to do whatever you feel like. I'd personally add another GH squad and 4 Wolf Guard to lead the squads with 13 pts. (I think) to spare.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
02-11-2011, 01:18 PM
thanks for all the suggestions, even tho some got off the no mech topic, im going to stick with canis just for the init 5 wolf meatshield and i like theyre assault range. i cant change my thunder wolves , cause i put too much time in their modeling still dont know what to do with extra point but i like the wolf guard idea maybe with combi meltas. what do you guys think?:eek:

Whoop!
02-11-2011, 05:06 PM
I put together a wolf guard/ combimelta spam army, and broke a friends will. I felt ashamed afterwards, like I was a bad person for kicking him in the teeth. I say check it out, but be careful with it. Don't bring it to birthday parties.;)

and I don't think red herrings should count as Mech, they are just there to siphon firing units.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
02-13-2011, 10:51 PM
what do you mean red herring? rhino?
Space Wolves fight with their feet on the ground just like Russ intended. im looking for the beastie competitive no mech list

Whoop!
02-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I call my predators Red Herrings, because they are only there to draw fire and units away from my army.

Spacewolves fight with their feet on the ground, just like Russ intended!

BlindGunn
02-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Spacewolves fight with their feet on the ground, just like Russ intended!

True, but I've always had a squad of Skyclaws since 3rd Edition. They're Brash (and DUMB) enough to try different things to get their feet on the ground "faster"! ;)

Whoop!
02-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Ive been thinking of adding a skyclaw pack, with a Rune Priest (Jaws of the world wolf/ murderous hurricane) into the mix, but am currently really trying to use all of my troop slots. Thats a lot of bodies!

How have you liked/used your skyclaws? How do you view them?

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
02-15-2011, 05:33 PM
ive tried to use claws, both bikes on foot and in the sky and they just get absolutly punked by anything ws4 or better. if GW made them cheaper or got the extra attacks all the time. even with a wolf priest and rerolling hits whenever they enemy swings back claws drop like flys. love the backgroung but on the table the get pick up by the handful.:mad:

Whoop!
02-15-2011, 05:46 PM
my current setup for 2500 has two full units of blood claws both led by wolf priests, and I'm having a hard time justifying both packs, but I do love throwing 30 power armored rookies running down the field! I love the power armor horde.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
02-15-2011, 10:35 PM
one thing i will say that is good about bloodclaws is throw in lucas the trickster and go Ctan or titan hunting. his statis heart is great for taking out deathstars. hmm got me thinking now hahaha

BlindGunn
02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Ive been thinking of adding a skyclaw pack, with a Rune Priest (Jaws of the world wolf/ murderous hurricane) into the mix, but am currently really trying to use all of my troop slots. Thats a lot of bodies!

How have you liked/used your skyclaws? How do you view them?
First - I play smaller games - usually 1500pts. So I can't tell you how competative they are in large tournaments. One or two squads of Any Claws in 1500 - 1850 is fun.

I do usually run a squad of Blood Claws - just for Fluff, and they have done well in my area.

Most people will whine and B**** about how bad the Claws are - whatever form they take because of BS3 & WS3. They still hit 50% of the time against most opponents in CC and with 3-4 attacks each if they get off the charge. That's a lot of attacks.

I don't mind them because they're unexpected and have the POTENTIAL of doing lots. They do good as "Ablative Armour" for something or act as a great "Potential Threat" that my opponents simply cannot ignore. Use them as a distraction so that something important can move into position or to tie up something for a turn or two.

I do find they work best with a Wolf Priest running around with them, using Oath of War to "hate Infantry" (or whatever you wnat them to get into HTH with).

All my Claw Squads have a power fist for that light vehicle that just has to go. Forget Meltas and Plasmas - BS 3 makes it a waste. If they're going to hit anything, it's by accident or overwhelming numbers of attacks in CC. 3 swings with a power fist will do better than a single Melta shot or a Grenade attack.

Always - Claws are EXPENDABLE! Don't count on them to win the game for you every time. They might get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it.

Usually I'll drop a 10-man squad of BloodClaws in a drop pod to support a Grey Hunter squad coming in at the same time. (Ablative armour & Distraction) Otherwise, I'll load up a Rhino with them. Very Rare occassions will I use a Land Raider to take a full squad. (Usually when I feel like a "WTH - It'll be different!" game.)

I like Sky Claws when I have extra points and will usually try to run 5-8 men. Smaller squads don't live long enough to act as ablative armour or as a distraction.

Anyway - my "lesson" is you should try them out in a regular game first. See if they fit your play-style. They are not for everyone. Don't expect too much from them and they may surprise you. My Ratio would be 1 squad "any" Claws to 2+ squads Grey Hunters.

Good Luck!