PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Eldar List

killyourpride
02-04-2011, 07:40 AM
I've just had inspiration to create an eldar army but have no experience with them what so ever (between the people in our house we have a choice pick of about 8 armies but no Eldar!!) so I created this list to see what you all think. I've tried to make it relatively competitive(ish) but it seems to lack any assault punch but I also think i'm spending too many points on the seer council and not sure if its even worth it and considering swapping it out for a unit of Vypers and a Wraithlord? :confused:

Farseer - Runes Of Warding - Singing Spear -Spirit Stones - Mind War - Doom - Jet Bike 168

6 Warlocks - Singing Spears - 1 Enhance - Jetbikes 303

6 Fire Dragons (Mounted In Falcon) 96

6 Fire Dragons (Mounted In Falcon) 96

10 Banshees - Exarch + Executioner + Acrobatic/Warshout 192 (Mounted In Wave Serpent)

12 Storm Guardians - 2 Fusion Guns (Mounted In Wave Serpent) 108

5 Rangers + Path Finders (Infiltrate Onto Home Objective and Claim Good Cover) 120

2 Falcons + Scatter Laser + Shuriken Cannon 280

2 Wave Serpents + T/L Brightlances 270

2 Wave Serpents + Shuirken Cannon + Scatter Lasers 250

This comes to 1991 by my reckoning but any help tuning or even re-writing this list would be appreciated :)

ArmyC
02-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Farseer - Runes Of Warding - Singing Spear -Spirit Stones - Mind War - Doom - Jet Bike 168 Seer MUST take fortune for the warlocks to be effective. They rely on fortune.

6 Warlocks - Singing Spears - 1 Enhance - Jetbikes 303 Embolden allows the farseer to reroll failed psychic checks. Very cheesy IMHO, but a must take for 5 points.

6 Fire Dragons (Mounted In Falcon) 96 Fire Dragons want to go forward, Falcons want to stay back. Wave serpents have energy shields that reduce the effect of the weapons of the type of vehicles the fire dragons are designed to kill. The Falcon can take a holo field which works in melee. That is good because the dragons will likely be charged by what comes out of their target. My choice would still be a wave serpent tghough

10 Banshees - Exarch + Executioner + Acrobatic/Warshout 192 (Mounted In Wave Serpent) Give this serpent star and vectored engines. The Banshees need correct placement to get their charge off, so you need maximum flexibility on moving their transport.

12 Storm Guardians - 2 Fusion Guns (Mounted In Wave Serpent) 108 Guardians are BS 3 and thus will not get value from the fusion guns. Flamers are the choice here. Also, anything you need fusion guns to kill, will wipe out your guardians next turn. Poor target selection.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS take spirit stones on Falcons, Serpents, and Fire Prisms.
Welcome to the Warrior Path.

eagleboy7259
02-04-2011, 11:42 AM
You should put the Fire Dragons in the Wave Serpents and put 5 man DVU's in the Falcon, if you choose to take Falcons. Fire Dragons will be basically driving up into melta range and popping tanks. There is a really good chance that by doing so you would be putting your own tank in Melta range. The Force Field negates that melta bonus whereas you could end up racking up pens. on a simular Falcon. Also, the Wave Serpent brings only 1 gun to the battle. I mean there is a shurki cat but Falcons do much better hidding on the skirts of battle firing in.

Personally I would not run the Jetlock Council if it is the only non-mech unit you are taking. That means that all that small arms fire that can't do diddly to your skimmers is going to be comming at your council.

At 2000pts, this army really needs Eldrad. Just hide him in a skimmer and let him cast powers out of it. Doom and Fortune are wonderful, and they make it so your Aspect Warriors are double killy.

Other than that, one unit that might be worth looking into would be a 3x Warwalker Squad w/ Scatter Lasers. 8 S6 shots a piece, being boosted by a Farseer means that you can erase whole units off the board. Quite awesome when you consider that the majority of your aspect warrirors and tanks are all really geared towards killing other tanks. Oh and that many S6 shots does a good job at poping small vehicles.

davel
02-04-2011, 02:24 PM
spirits stones are a must for transports

in 2000 pt games large basts weapons become very usful consider prisms an night spinners

davel

Huge_eldar
02-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Agreed, dragons in serpents are a better choice, it doesn't take a heavy spot on a tank that may be on a suicide mission lol. Also I personally feel eldar heavys are best spent on war walkers and night spinners. Very few armies can handle 2x nightspinners, if done correctly they can lock a big chunk of an army down. Eldars anti tank should he fire dragons, bright lances, and witchblades. Even a raider will go down to a squad of warlocks assaulting it..

I run a list that is very similar, having the jetbike squad being one of the only infantry to shoot isn't that bad if you are careful with them. They HAVE to get into assault turn 2. I mean with 42" you better be getting there lol :)

DarkLink
02-04-2011, 05:14 PM
I've personally found that bladestorming Dire Avengers work much better than flamer storm guardians, for only slightly more points.

Guardians with 2 flamers and a warlock can put out a lot of wounds if you manage to clump up your opponent, but you're right on top of your opponent when you do that. Dire Avengers can be 18" away, and can reliably put wounds on a unit regardless of how many models are in that unit or how the unit is positioned. Plus, DAs have better leadership and are more resilient thanks to their 4+ armor. It's much eaiser to pop an enemy transport at the edge of their line, blaze away with DAs, jump them back in their wave serpent then run away than it is to do the same with Storm Guardians.

Plus DAs can actually face basic units in close combat. A whittled down squad of tactical Marines could fight off Guardians without much difficulty, but Dire Avengers could actually survive. Though both will crumble if faced with any real cc threats without any support.

eagleboy7259
02-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Agreed, dragons in serpents are a better choice, it doesn't take a heavy spot on a tank that may be on a suicide mission lol. Also I personally feel eldar heavys are best spent on war walkers and night spinners. Very few armies can handle 2x nightspinners, if done correctly they can lock a big chunk of an army down. Eldars anti tank should he fire dragons, bright lances, and witchblades. Even a raider will go down to a squad of warlocks assaulting it..

I run a list that is very similar, having the jetbike squad being one of the only infantry to shoot isn't that bad if you are careful with them. They HAVE to get into assault turn 2. I mean with 42" you better be getting there lol :)

You know, I've never seen people have that much luck with either unit. Nightspinners - while cheap and as durable as any eldar tank - are really only effective against infantry. I bet you're saying "well duh" but think about it, why have Lash Princes fallen out of popularity? -> Because most people are hiding their infantry away in tanks or using pods, icons, homes, or outflank to mess you up with reserves. That means for a turn or two your tank is basically a waste of points. The strength and AP just aren't that great so they have trouble getting glances on transports. Fire Prism are capable of killing everything and are just as cheap.

The Jetlock council has multiple problems - it costs a big chunk of change in an army where your units are decently expensive and not exactly resilient. Secondly its casting all your psychic powers on a single unit, where the psychic powers are needed elsewhere to boost the problems that come from having that many 3's in the stat line. Potentially they can be a game winning unit, Personally I'd rather have Eldrad and Warp Spider Autarch w/ a Fusion Gun. If you're going to take one, I'd try to find the points to get a secondary seer in there, he's definately worth sacking some bodies for what he brings to the army.

shaman_stig
02-05-2011, 03:00 AM
carla they will fall over just like your nidz. what you should do is your mom lol.

Huge_eldar
02-05-2011, 01:08 PM
I guess I don't see the issue of low infantry on the board because 95% of the time I keep my whole army off the board, so having viable targets insnt so bad on turn 2.. Also my issue with the prism is that I feel it suffers from multi tasking syndrome. It does neither killing infantry or killing tanks well by it's self. The large blast is only str 5, ap4. With cover being rampant the ap is almost useless, and against meq's it only wounds on a 3+. nightspinner is TL, barrage so you only get cover if your in it, and although it's not goingto happen all the time, rending does beat all reg amor. Also it does something almost no other weapon does, kills on 2 turns. I mean put it this way, vs any kind of hoardy unit, it's going to crushface, vs something like termies, yeah inv saves are there, but you essentially have the same odds of them taking a wound as if you wounded them with bolters, but it's on their turn...don't forget about pinning and I cannot tell you how many times I've killed one or 2 marines on his movement phase, only for them to fail a ld check for taking 25% on a single phase.. Now vs tanks, yes the prism can be better, but I also play chaos, and one BS4 small blast is not reliable enough for me, the only reason why oblits work is there is usually 2-3 to make up for scattering. Vs light AV, the str 9 is suberp but as the armor Av goes up, they begin to lose effectiveness quickly. Vs av14, you need a 5+ to glance, not worth it for me, when I have 5 melta there that will for sure do the job for 50% more cost and doesn't tale up a heavy spot, also that platform is more survivable, being in a serpent and has 3 str 6 shots as well..

I guess with eldar I don't like having units that are not easy to rely on, 5x melta should take anything down short of a lith or raider.. You can't leave much to chance with eldar, you have to set you sight on a task and get it done, as I've heard on here, and it is 100% true

We are elder, attrition is not what were about lol

davel
02-06-2011, 03:13 AM
I guess I don't see the issue of low infantry on the board because 95% of the time I keep my whole army off the board, so having viable targets insnt so bad on turn 2.. Also my issue with the prism is that I feel it suffers from multi tasking syndrome. It does neither killing infantry or killing tanks well by it's self. The large blast is only str 5, ap4. With cover being rampant the ap is almost useless, and against meq's it only wounds on a 3+. nightspinner is TL, barrage so you only get cover if your in it, and although it's not goingto happen all the time, rending does beat all reg amor. Also it does something almost no other weapon does, kills on 2 turns. I mean put it this way, vs any kind of hoardy unit, it's going to crushface, vs something like termies, yeah inv saves are there, but you essentially have the same odds of them taking a wound as if you wounded them with bolters, but it's on their turn...don't forget about pinning and I cannot tell you how many times I've killed one or 2 marines on his movement phase, only for them to fail a ld check for taking 25% on a single phase.. Now vs tanks, yes the prism can be better, but I also play chaos, and one BS4 small blast is not reliable enough for me, the only reason why oblits work is there is usually 2-3 to make up for scattering. Vs light AV, the str 9 is suberp but as the armor Av goes up, they begin to lose effectiveness quickly. Vs av14, you need a 5+ to glance, not worth it for me, when I have 5 melta there that will for sure do the job for 50% more cost and doesn't tale up a heavy spot, also that platform is more survivable, being in a serpent and has 3 str 6 shots as well..

I guess with eldar I don't like having units that are not easy to rely on, 5x melta should take anything down short of a lith or raider.. You can't leave much to chance with eldar, you have to set you sight on a task and get it done, as I've heard on here, and it is 100% true

We are elder, attrition is not what were about lol

thefire prism/ night spinner thing

the main reason i said it was at 2000 pt your opponents table side will become crowded. large blasts get more and more valuable at these kinds of points for that reason.

thing with fire prism is If you take one take 2 (though that will be a huge change to the list) fire prisms offer versatility of fire power that other units don't don't have which increases when you have two.
it also can have the night spinner effect where it makes marching out in the open suicidal so forces units to trudge through cover.
a night spinner will have less of a army list change. It is worth mentioning that you can force units to move (tank shock/ pile in moves) if they are not co operating with dangerous terrain tests

both off some thing eldar struggle for, Huge range.

remember ( mostly in loss of gun) these tanks can ram / tank shock/ contest/provide cover/ block enemy movement. most games turn 4 they want to be moving to where they can contest.

dave l