PDA

View Full Version : 'Ard Boyz Virgin, how's my list?

Whoop!
02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
hello gamers and gamettes, I decided to jump in and do it. I'm taken on hard boys this year, and I'm doing it with the low Mech Army. I just figured to be nice and post my army list here before taking it all the way to the throne of skulls (ha ha, that would be funny). Are there any staggering loopholes that I failed to notice due to my love of my first big Army?

STORM WOLVES, 2500pt
Njal, termi
Irnest the Wise (Rune Priest) master of runes, MB, chooser of the slain
Villam the Black (Rune Priest) master of rooms, chooser of the slain
Ghostalker (battle leader) paired Wolf claws, saga of the Hunter, MB

scout pack (10)MotW, 2PW
scout pack (10)MotW, 2PW, MBs
guard pack (5)MotW, 3 power fists, 1 CombiMelta, 1 Termi w/cyclone missile launcher

Grey hunters (10) MotW, Wolf standard, 2 Melta

predator, heavy Bolter side sponsors, dozer blade
predator, heavy Bolter side sponsors, dozer blade
Long fangs (6) 3 ML, 2 Las cannons

well that's it. The guard pack is split out as squad leaders, giving each a cheap power fist orMotW. The termi goes with the long fangs.
The HQs are all attached to different units it ends up looking like this

Njal, long fangs, and termi w/ cyclone
Irnest the Wise, gray hunters, guard w/ power fist
Villam the Black, Gray Hunters, guard w/ MotW and CombiMelta
Ghostalker (battle leader), Wolf scouts w/o MBs

2x Gray hunters, guard w/ power fist
Scout pack w/ MBs
2x Predators

For the Rune priests I use Jaws of the world world, murderous hurricane, Tempest, and living lightning. I usually give each one offensive and one to limit the movement of opponent.

What this list is really about is taking things away from your opponent, and being rocksteady. The scouts can come off of any edge if you can roll higher than the two. The Rune priests use their powers to make terrain difficult and dangerous, and screwup speeders and jump packs. The chooser of the slain, you have three of them, so you can completely remove your opponents ability to infiltrate.

any thoughts?:cool:

lowdog
02-10-2011, 10:41 AM
I assume the squads aren't in transports? My fear would be that with only 2 vehicles in your army, all your opponent's anti-tank fire (which they will have in an 'Ard Boyz setting) is going to be split between only two targets. So they would get a punishing amount of fire early and probably wiped off the board before they do anything.

In that case, I would swap them out for more long fangs, attack bikes, or thunderwolves, and that way you have an entire army with no armor values. That kinda puts your opponent in a situation where they have overpaid for their anti-tank capacity.

Whoop!
02-10-2011, 10:58 AM
I see exactly what you're saying. The two predators were put in as red herrings/siphon units, but I am not sure if you're not right about how long ithey would last considering it is a hard boys list.

I don't have any experience with the thunder wolves, but I can see they're pretty popular. Would a three piece unit of thunder wolves with one thunder Hammer be big enough?

Lerra
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Nope, three thunderwolves would die to shooting before they got anywhere. For 'ard Boyz, keep in mind that there will be a lot more shooting on the table because the armies are all bigger.

I would buy packs of Fenrisian Wolves to footslog in front of my Grey Hunters and provide a cover save. If you want shenanigans, attach the battle leader with Saga of the Hunter so that the wolves and/or grey hutners get a 3+ cover save and the HQ's leadership.

Btw, do you know that Njal's tempest only fully works if you go first? That comes as a nasty surprise for a lot of people. It's in the Space Wolves FAQ.