PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar...No Stand alone book!!!

Havik110
08-31-2009, 07:01 AM
I have about 2 or 3 people in florida that I trust when they tell me things so it hurts when 2 of them give me contrasting stories...

1st I was told that one of them had seen new models at GW Memphis. He has been playing since RT and is a good guy. He has no reason to lie IMO.

2nd The other day one of the guys that I think is kind of in the know said a few things that made me pissed off. he said that kelly had been pulled off of the DE models indefinitely. I asked if it was to redo Nids, and he said the nids are done hes working on BA and "other stuff". He said that every time a DE green was put out someone voted it down. ((anyone else remember a little over a year ago where he said they were half way done in a pod cast?))

It seems that DE are being pushed back to the point that they will be put into the next eldar book which sounds like it will contain harey's and exodites as well...

I love this game and DE were my 1st army. I hope to hell he's wrong but at this point with no word either way its getting pretty apparent that the DE are not important in GW's eyes. All the people that keep saying all the extra time means they will be better aren't thinking that all the extra time means that no one is even paying attention to them...

All I want is word on them 1 way or another...If they are going to make me wait til 2011 I'll put them away and at least play something else. If they are getting combined with eldar I'm done...

TheKingElessar
08-31-2009, 07:28 AM
My most recent information is late 2011. They had a codex written, it was rejected, they're doing it over. Dropping them at this stage seems a colossal waste of money, and unlikely. Especially since the next Eldar Dex probably won't be before 2013.

Havik110
08-31-2009, 07:59 AM
man I wish they would just say something about them. Put out the new models, why push them back so far after people have been working on them...Its driving me nuts...GW is really proving they don't care about anyone they have right now, its all about LCD with the past few releases...

eldargal
08-31-2009, 08:50 AM
2013?! I'll be 26. Gah, I'll have to start on that guard army. No offense intended (at all) but I so hope you are wrong.

My most recent information is late 2011. They had a codex written, it was rejected, they're doing it over. Dropping them at this stage seems a colossal waste of money, and unlikely. Especially since the next Eldar Dex probably won't be before 2013.

gwensdad
08-31-2009, 09:15 AM
2013?! I'll be 26. Gah, I'll have to start on that guard army. No offense intended (at all) but I so hope you are wrong.

Try to build one of those Forge World Armoured companies from the IA update :)

(you're 22? I feel oooooollld)

Aldramelech
08-31-2009, 09:48 AM

You poor old thing you! lol:p

TheKingElessar
08-31-2009, 09:51 AM
You poor old thing you! lol:p

In 2013 I'll be 27...:eek:

Aldramelech
08-31-2009, 10:07 AM

I'll be 42! Be grateful for your youth lol.

Gotthammer
08-31-2009, 10:11 AM
And incidentally it's Jes Goodwin working on the sculpts. If Phil Kelly was working on DE it would have been on the codex, which if Jes is taking as long to sculpt them as he says he is might explain why they pulled him (Phil) off the DE project. No point writing a 5th ed codex when the army won't be ready until 7th ed ;)

Lord Inquisitor
08-31-2009, 10:12 AM
They can't just generalize Dark Eldar like that. If they are generic enough to go in the same book as other Eldar that means they just got lazy.

warpcrafter
08-31-2009, 11:54 AM

I'll be 48 (!!!)

DuskRaider
08-31-2009, 01:08 PM

And I'll be 32... But then again, remember the world is going to end in December of 2012. :rolleyes:

robertsjf
08-31-2009, 01:15 PM
But then again, remember the world is going to end in December of 2012

Only if you're a Mayan. The rest of us have to wait for a DE codex that will signify the end of everyone elses world....

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-31-2009, 02:11 PM
I sincerely hope this isnt true. Personally I wouldnt collect dark eldar, but I think they have massive potential and more importantly - I hate to see the fans of this army get such a bad deal. I sincerely hope that DE fans get a decent codex and miniature range. And moreso, I hope it doesnt take that much longer for it to appear (allthough I unfortuantly doubt that).

andyfish
08-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Well it looks like my grandson will inherit my Dark Eldar after all, by the time it come out I will be long gone...

GW did say 2113 didn't they.....:)

TheKingElessar
08-31-2009, 02:49 PM
No, you misunderstand. The next ELDAR Codex is 2013. DE are the comparitively recent 2011.

EmperorEternalXIX
08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
I dunno. It might sound weird but I never thought the DE, story-wise, made sense as an army. How could a fraction of the smallest race in 40k be able to mount fighting force in sailboats against whole armies?

Lord Inquisitor
08-31-2009, 06:10 PM
I dunno. It might sound weird but I never thought the DE, story-wise, made sense as an army. How could a fraction of the smallest race in 40k be able to mount fighting force in sailboats against whole armies?

Because their fast and take you by surprise.

person person
08-31-2009, 06:20 PM
they can't just generalize dark eldar like that. If they are generic enough to go in the same book as other eldar that means they just got lazy.

i sincerely hope this isnt true. Personally i wouldnt collect dark eldar, but i think they have massive potential and more importantly - i hate to see the fans of this army get such a bad deal. I sincerely hope that de fans get a decent codex and miniature range. And moreso, i hope it doesnt take that much longer for it to appear (allthough i unfortuantly doubt that).

exactly!!!

Vulkan He'stan
08-31-2009, 07:38 PM
thats lame

eldargal
08-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Yes, that's what I'm unhappy about, Eldar is my main focus. I do have a small DE army, for all the good that will do me. I guess 2011 isn't too bad...

No, you misunderstand. The next ELDAR Codex is 2013. DE are the comparitively recent 2011.

EmperorEternalXIX
08-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Because their fast and take you by surprise. They also die by the scores!

Katie Drake
08-31-2009, 10:17 PM
They also die by the scores!

In tabletop, maybe. In the fluff the Dark Eldar spend most of their time attacking the nigh-defenseless, like agricultural worlds with only small settlements populated by poorly equipped civilians. The Dark Eldar are the opportunistic predators of the 40k universe in that they usually only seek out the weakest of targets, not unlike a pack of wolves seeking to bring down an old or sickly deer. If the Dark Eldar attack a well-defended area it's usually because they want something that the defenders have, knowingly or not. An ancient Eldar artifact, a buried webway portal or whatever. In fact, the Imperium has probably fought the Dark Eldar less times than almost any other alien race, except for maybe the Tau and Tyranids, since they're relative newcomers to the Galaxy.

Ysengrin
09-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Such a shame. I love the whole dark eldar theme, but without a proper codex I won't start a new army.

melloracer
09-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I have been awaiting this codex as well...2011 sounds about right from what I hear. Also the OP mentioned the GW in Memphis...The Bunker closed down earlier this summer, unless it has since re-opened. If it has...I need to head down there one day as I loved playing on their tables there.

R3con
09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
The DE's fate scares me because I know that if they can kill off an army like DE, my sisters wont be far behind in the death march.

kevlarmonkey
09-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I am really sick of how long each new codex takes to come out, I for one would love some new FAQs to help all these armies out that are struggling to make a competitive list in 5th. when was the last chapter approved in a WD that wasn't for Apocalypse? Heck, BA got a whole codex in WD, all I want are a few updates for us with old codices

teddybear9152
09-01-2009, 01:17 PM
I must admit us SM and CSM players are definately looked after well and they could spend a little time on the other armies codex to give youngsters some varity :0)

billytwix
09-01-2009, 01:23 PM
BRING EM BACK!!!

my buddy plays DE and he needs some new models!

TheKingElessar
09-01-2009, 01:41 PM
I am really sick of how long each new codex takes to come out, I for one would love some new FAQs to help all these armies out that are struggling to make a competitive list in 5th. when was the last chapter approved in a WD that wasn't for Apocalypse? Heck, BA got a whole codex in WD, all I want are a few updates for us with old codices

AFAIK, they made a decision not to do that anymore, because it wasn't making money, and it isn't available to all players, making it unfair in competitive play.

Vikin
09-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Now that they have updated spacewolfs i can't imagin that the oldest codex is going to have to wait for more then 12months. I seriously hope it doesn't take that long, i'm interested in them and really want to know / read more about them but i won't pick up the army if the codex is that old.

TheKingElessar
09-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Honestly, the Necrons and Nids are both going to be out first, and you know that's a year's worth.

Aquila
09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
2 things:

Eldar and Dark Eldar are never going to be in the same codex. It just doesn't work. That rumor was crap from the very start, with no basis whatsoever to it, but it JUST WON'T DIE.

Just because someone has no reason to lie, or is completely trustworthy, doesn't mean they're right. In fact, you could be telling the absolute truth sworn on your mothers grave and still be wrong. Just because he saw something doesn't mean it's what he thinks it is. Remember the whole Femme Militant picture posted on here that alot of people thought was a Dark Eldar green? We're STILL seeing Dark Eldar threads popping up across the internet declaring that a new codex must be on the way.

Dosadi
09-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Bovine Excrement.

Dosadi

halon
09-01-2009, 02:31 PM
I realize it'll take forever for the models, but in the meantime, I've seen DE players who know what they're doing run roughshod over supposedly much stronger lists. And the models have to be fairly close to being done, as that unknown model posted alongside the Space Wolves on BoLS a few weeks back had been at least 80% confirmed as a DE model. The only time we haven't seen a 'test' model like that put into production fairly soon was that squatty little head that was rumored to be a 'demiurg' about a year or two ago.

CatPeeler
09-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Screw the rules. Jes Goodwin is handling the models. It will be worth the wait.

I'd be more than happy to use the existing codex with his models.

Wolvychops
09-01-2009, 02:37 PM
I think we are all forgetting GW's new stance on keeping their mouth shut.

In the last few months the rumors have dried up a tone and I personally like the new tight lipped approach.

it gets me excited to see new stuff at GDUK and is just like every other industry that keeps new stuff secret until it is ready.

Yes maybe the rumors are true that DE is getting pushed again, or that the codex has been voted down, but maybe this is all just rumors and we need to exercise a bit or patience.

They will get re-done, and don't believe everything you here, b/c i still haven't seen a plastic thunder hawk even though people are dead certain it was supposed to come out 2 years ago. So unless you are hearing info directly from the design studio itself, just chill out, have a beer, and relax a bit.

islyfe
09-01-2009, 03:28 PM
this is sad news, I was looking foward to a new codex sooner then later

person person
09-01-2009, 07:22 PM

Thats all the guys at my GW want. DE can turn into a brutal list used right.

biteymcrunrun
09-01-2009, 07:30 PM
ill be 21!!!:)

terricon4
09-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I would,despite having no interest in black eldar, be happy to see a new codex for them. GW might think that not enough people like them but this whole putting them off is not helping. I joined four years ago and at first I thought dark eldar were just some old fluff. If they make the codex and some minis they will please many and also make a new item for beginners to chose, as opposed to space marine variant 26.

Bigred
09-01-2009, 10:53 PM
I have heard no chatter corroborating this rumor.

Lord Anubis
09-01-2009, 11:15 PM
If they make the codex and some minis they will please many and also make a new item for beginners to chose, as opposed to space marine variant 26.

There are 26 variants?

:D

BeastsofWar-John
09-02-2009, 02:55 AM
arnt they more like an advert for Hienz? "57 varities"? You know what would stop all this DE rumor stuff? CS Goto writing the codex :)

BoW- John

mysterex
09-02-2009, 03:17 AM
They can't just generalize Dark Eldar like that. If they are generic enough to go in the same book as other Eldar that means they just got lazy.

Agree. Having what seem to be mortal enemies in the same codex makes no sense.

Havik110
09-02-2009, 06:40 AM

In the time I have been playing DE i have seen: a new race (Tau) get 2 codices, 3 smurf codices, Dark Angels, 2 editions of Eldar, 2 editions of Nids, 2 editions of chaos, Orks get the best codex in the game (so yes 2 editions), IG become a very very scary dex (so yes 2 editions), and blood angels be put int a magazine. The only dexs I have not seen redone are Space Wolves (guess what? being redone), Crons (they say they are a long ways away but guess what, they will probably be out before DE), BT, WH, DH, and DE. the codex with the 2nd best list in the game is getting redone (nids) because people aren't happy about venom cannons, meanwhile they have a gun that kills 10 non-MEQ every time it shoots (devourer tyrant) which also happens to be a monstrous creature that gets cover saves behind gaunts because it has a retinue...

DE players are the most devoted fans this game has and no one in the company cares because the army doesn't sell. it doesn't sell because they haven't actually supported the army and because our models look like a 3 year old carved them. It doesnt sell because more than half of the units in our dex are completely useless and being a 3rd edition codex, over priced compared to 4th and 5th edition dexs.

No model is worth the wait if we have no proof they are actually being worked on and there is a chance our dex is taken away or our army squatted. remember the podcast that said they were half way done about 18 months ago? GW would do well to give us a breadcrumb, show us a green so we say ok its actually worth it to stay with the game, or if its not start another army, maybe one of the new armies....

Yes I ranted, but im tired of hearing they will be worth it when they might not come out...I have lost faith in this company when it comes to my 1st love and am getting ready to start rainbow eldar...

TheKingElessar
09-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Well, half-way through ten years after their release...do the maths! ;)

I jest. 2011/2012. It's not that long away really.

Dosadi
09-02-2009, 07:14 AM
We need to apply some logic to this discussion.

Guy #1 said he saw DE greens at GW Memphis. They wouldn’t have greens unless they were preparing to make molds for production. Chances are they wouldn’t have greens at all but grey resin casts from the greens to use as masters for making the rubber molds. Let’s also remember that Gary Morley was working out of that location (or Baltimore, I can’t remember) for many years before his departure from the company and Gary Morley was responsible for the majority of the original DE sculpts from 3rd edition. It could be that he was working on some new DE before he left and the greens your friend saw were the result of that work. Jes Godwin works out of the UK and it's is very unlikley that they would send his greens to Memphis.
Second; “kelly had been pulled off of the DE models indefinitely” .Phil Kelly is a games designer, not a miniature designer. Last time I spoke with him he told me he was right in the middle of the codex and felt that things were going very well for the DE. This was less than six months ago. I’m sure other people who have spoken with him at Games Days and other “cons” can corroborate this.

Jes Godwin is responsible for the design of the new models. The man is a god of miniature design. He and John Blance are responsible for the foundation of most of the imagery and tone of the 40k universe. When is anyone ever going to “vote down” his greens? Now Gary Morley probably has had more green’s voted down that we could possibly count. :p So perhaps this info is quite old and has been muddled and confused?

I can’t see them putting DE in the next Eldar Codex. The potential is there for a complete stand alone army. The foundation has been laid and the background developed to make them unique. This is not 2nd edition where GW will pile multiple list in one book. Their marketing model does not support this concept anymore either.

It sounds to me like someone is trying to throw a DE pity party. I must have lost my invite.;)

Dosadi

ebolazaire
09-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Are there any pics of these greens?
Or are they just the same greens of the haemonculi that's been doing the rounds?

Hokiecow
09-02-2009, 08:11 AM
I can believe the first part of the rumor. A few people have claimed to see these"awsome" models but joining them with Eldar?? I just can't see it. Sounds like bunk. Why would they have given Dark Edlar it's one race in DOW and rules in Apocalypse and Planet Strike if they know they are just going to merge the races? It just doesn't make sence.

fleabanger
09-02-2009, 08:16 AM
lol at gothammers comments

Trinity
09-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I realize it'll take forever for the models, but in the meantime, I've seen DE players who know what they're doing run roughshod over supposedly much stronger lists. And the models have to be fairly close to being done, as that unknown model posted alongside the Space Wolves on BoLS a few weeks back had been at least 80% confirmed as a DE model. The only time we haven't seen a 'test' model like that put into production fairly soon was that squatty little head that was rumored to be a 'demiurg' about a year or two ago.

That model has been 100% Confirmed to not be a DE model.

Tigerguy
09-02-2009, 10:43 AM
You know what would stop all this DE rumor stuff? CS Goto writing the codex :)

BoW- John

Now that's funny!!

Thanks to Dosadi for providing a little level-headed and informative analysis of the situation. If the rumors are true that they are completely re-doing the entire model line, you would have to expect that it will take some time. For those who haven't worked in the corporate world, getting approval for one little decision can take weeks. Everyone wants their input and say on every matter. GW is a large company, and decisions are made by a score of people, not just one person. And with DE, you're talking about dozens and dozens of models, fluff, art, and (hopefully) game play balance. That's a lot of decisions to be made.

I understand that the waiting can be rough, but as a DE fan myself, I'll just be patient and know that things will turn out for the best eventually.

Of course, where's the fun in being patient?

karandras
09-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't think you all should worry yourselves over these rumors.

The last credible first hand information that I had heard was that Phil Kelly had just about finished the Dark Eldar Codex - that was over a year ago.

I had heard nothing about it being rejected. Who would reject it? and for what reason? He did an excellent job on the Eldar Codex, the Ork Codex, and even the Necron Codex. He is very talented and knows what he is doing by now.

I think Space Hulk and Planetstrike may have pushed Dark Eldar back, but would be surprised if they didn't arrive by the end of 2010.

The current codex is actually one of the hardest armies in the game in the hands of a good general... it's just the models are soooooooooooooo bad!!! The codex really only needs a tweak. It's the minis that need an overhaul.

Shadowseer
09-02-2009, 01:36 PM
i can see Gw making the Warhammer 40k universe just marines....

JavaKnight
09-02-2009, 02:17 PM
That will be a SAD SAD day in the 40K universe :(:(

Anthony Yeates
09-06-2009, 04:00 PM
In terms of gameplay balance, 'crons need the update far more than anyone else, but the DE have been waiting for so long it's getting crazy. With any luck we might see something at the UK GD this month.

TheKingElessar
09-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Guarantee you, Anthony, won't happen.

Grantavius Kennarius
09-06-2009, 11:06 PM
In 2013 I'll turn 49, and my oldest Dark Eldar models [Eldar pirates from late 1988] will turn 25. As I have many other armies, I can wait, although I'd prefer 2011. DE are sufficently different to Eldar to need their own codex, but I think that to the Imperium they seem about the same as other Eldar, and I suppose they could be fitted into a single codex- if one were willing to have a total [expletive deleted].

Anthony Yeates
09-07-2009, 01:11 AM
I'm sure your right TKE, but a guy can dream can't he? :) While we probaly won't see any models someone may be able to "interogate" Goodwin or Kelly and get some concrete information, again unlikley that we'll learn anything new, but hell, you can only do so many Imperial Codexs before they're all done, gota be Xenos soon enough.

person person
09-07-2009, 02:47 PM
agreed, and if =][= is all one book, the sooner.

Valkerie
09-07-2009, 03:17 PM
GW is starting to let gamestores sell the older DE stuff again, so it's no longer Direct Order only. The rumor I heard was that they were trying to get rid of their old stock before bringing out the new. No garantees on the truth, but it would make sense it they're getting ready to release a new codex. I hope so, I like the background of the DE. As several others have said, they can be a bad *** force, the only problem being the points cost. All they really need is adjust the points cost, and leave most of the rest of the current codex alone, IMO.

Bon_Vivant
09-07-2009, 04:47 PM
With the "cleaning up" of 40k that has occured over time I doubt if we'll ever see the DE ever again, in the Sado-Masochistic form at least.
A shame really I loved the SM freaks.