PDA

View Full Version : My Space Hulk just arrived in the mail!?!

MagosTechnicus
08-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Thought this wasn't supposed to be out till Sept. 5th....

gwensdad
08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
I've heard a few people on twitter say that they've received theirs. Looks like the starting mailing out Thursday and starting arriving Friday.

How did it arrive, BTW? Fex-Ex, USPS, UPS?

MagosTechnicus
08-31-2009, 06:01 PM
I've heard a few people on twitter say that they've received theirs. Looks like the starting mailing out Thursday and starting arriving Friday.

How did it arrive, BTW? Fex-Ex, USPS, UPS?

Fed-Ex

P.S. - Yikes it's heavy! This thing has to weigh 10-15 lbs....

Vulkan He'stan
08-31-2009, 07:35 PM
i really hope i get mine before school

PalinMoonstride
08-31-2009, 11:27 PM
I also got my space hulk today and played my first game. The quality is really nice but the termies seem to be made form a softer plastic than the genestealers and my marine holding the steeler spine had the spine broken off in the box. Nothing a little glue couldn't fix tho. Oh and after my first game i have to say, Brother Denio is the man. my first shots in the game he took out 9 rushing genestelers while on rearguard overwatch.

Dragonslayer261
09-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Recieved mine yesterday. The minitures are great. No flash at all. The detail is better than they looked on all the GW post. Started teaching my son how to play last night.

RogueMarine
09-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Can't wait to get to my friends and play this game, seen a lot in the stores and it looks amazing.

oni
09-01-2009, 10:36 AM
I check my tracking # and mine will be waiting for me when I get home from work. :D

MonsterZero
09-01-2009, 10:59 AM
I got mine today too! :D The weight of it is what first struck me. It's damn heavy. The tiles are heavy duty card that are textured in areas adding a bit of depth to the scenery. The models are the same scale as 40K and are INSANELY detailed. I've never been a fan of BAs but now I can't wait to apply pigment. I'm so excited, but it doesn't match the excitement of my two boys, aged 5 and 7, they're going to go crazy! :cool:

MZ

gwensdad
09-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I got mine today too! :D The weight of it is what first struck me. It's damn heavy. The tiles are heavy duty card that are textured in areas adding a bit of depth to the scenery. The models are the same scale as 40K and are INSANELY detailed. I've never been a fan of BAs but now I can't wait to apply pigment. I'm so excited, but it doesn't match the excitement of my two boys, aged 5 and 7, they're going to go crazy! :cool:

MZ

Do you think it's too much for a 5 year old? I was wondering if mine would be able to play it (maybe without the time limits).

Now I need to go see if "my" store has gotten theirs yet. If it's arriving they may have it waiting.

MonsterZero
09-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Do you think it's too much for a 5 year old? I was wondering if mine would be able to play it (maybe without the time limits).

Now I need to go see if "my" store has gotten theirs yet. If it's arriving they may have it waiting.

I think that with a little coaching and "helping" a 5-yr old should be able to have fun with it. I agree that a no-time limit for them would be a good thing. The fact that the game limits where the models can go and how many things they can do each turn is definitely helpful in letting younger children participate.

Unfortunately, the image that pops into my head now is Joe Camel, I've just realized that this is how GW gets the kids at a younger age...:eek: ;)

MZ

fiore hellheart
09-01-2009, 12:10 PM
You are a lucky sod thats for sure. Still aint got mine yet.

PlaguedOne
09-01-2009, 12:11 PM
So, for those who have it and have played the original:

Is the game the same as it was rules-wise, or did they overhaul it a great deal?

the_great_gonzo
09-01-2009, 12:21 PM
You are a lucky sod thats for sure. Still aint got mine yet.

Ha! got mine, but I'm 4 hours drive from home so no fun for me until release day (kinda defeats the point in getting it early really?!?) :( :(

Old Grey Knight
09-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Sweet, Now I am going to spend all day waiting for him.........................

Old Grey Knight

dashrendar
09-01-2009, 12:49 PM
lucky you

RWJP
09-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Lucky man... I still haven't been able to come up with the cash for a set yet!

Joeker
09-01-2009, 12:55 PM
looking forward to mine arriving... Apparently it's in MS and due to arrive tomorrow.

kevlarmonkey
09-01-2009, 01:00 PM
haven't gotten my copy yet, but I'm told they are the same rules as the original

dunedon
09-01-2009, 01:05 PM
How much work is it going to be to change over the iconagraphy from BA to DA, or any other chapter if I was thinking of converting them?

- Dunedon (who gets his set on Saturday ... can't wait!)

Bluesfart
09-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Have we discovered how limited they really are yet?

Ivarr
09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I am quite jealous :D Has anyone compared the rules to 1st and 2nd to see how close they are? I think BOLS needs a couple of good battle reports.:p

gwensdad
09-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Just came from my local game store and no sign of it yet. Gonna drop by it tomorrow (and risk the idiot working) to see if it's there.

Benandorf
09-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I got mine today, fed-ex, and I was very surprised.

It's excellent. The models are every bit as good as they appear in pictures. The iconography isn't as all-pervasive as it first appeared, either. You could easily, if you so desired, ignore it, or file off the bits that are there.

For those interested, the timer was 2 minutes 50 seconds to empty.

pissclams
09-01-2009, 02:44 PM
just got mine a few mins ago... havent opened it yet.

Hanuman110
09-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Mine's on the way. I should have it tomorrow most likely.

Beamo
09-01-2009, 03:56 PM
got mine yesterday, sat up with my free evening clipping and assembling... still got some 'stealers to do tonight, and then might get the wife to play a game sometime soon. :)

Darkseer
09-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I know I was one of the first people in the UK to order one (a friend was eagerly refreshing the GW site every minute about bought a copy for me), but I've received nothing yet. :(

Maybe it's just a few peeps in American who have got theirs early?

shags_j
09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Not fair. I have to wait till saturday.

Bloosquig
09-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Grats on getting a lucky early box. Can't wait to play!

eldaraddict
09-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Anxious to get mine, looks like a great game. I am sure it will bring back memories from playing the original. Anytime I can drop some of the emperor's finest, I am in.

Wolfguard Gnarl
09-01-2009, 08:14 PM
I got my copy of space hulk today aswell and I can confidently tell you after going through this heavy box and looking through the rules and missions book that this is going to be an easy and fun game to play. It has the origional rules plus some of the rules to the other expansions in itand only 2 new things added to it rules wise. The whole thing is a quality product.

If your on the fence about buying Space hulk then I would suggest you pick up a copy before they run out because you'll be happy that you got it and dissappointed if you missed out. You can always ebay it later if you dont like it.

I cant wait to play it! I just got to find me opponents lol :)

Brother Hastatus
09-02-2009, 03:23 AM
According to the new White Dwarf, which is all about it, it's basically the rules from the 1st edition of the game, as they considered them too good to change. They also said there would be no expansions for this, so they included the rules from all the original's expansions in it, such as extra weapons.

Deej
09-02-2009, 03:44 AM
I'm in the UK (London), and no sign yet. GW website says dispatched, so I'll be checking the post often today!

eldargal
09-02-2009, 05:02 AM
Mine (and the three sets for my six brothers) arrived just now, huzzah! The terminators are incredible, and the genestealers are really creepy. My one complaint is that Sergeant Gideons right arm attachment bar was broken but nothing a little plastic glue wont fix. No reason to go postal at GW HQ *eye twitch*.

By the way, it says the rules are basically the same (as mentioned above) but that the expansion rules have been included as well as some refinements, and broodlords.

Shadow Queen
09-02-2009, 05:25 AM
So whst happens when there is a major miscast?

trenchfoot
09-02-2009, 05:30 AM
can you show us some more detailed pics of the contents?

Shadow Queen
09-02-2009, 06:10 AM
Tones of picts on the Dakka forums...

Shadow Queen
09-02-2009, 06:11 AM
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/252763.page there you go.

Blaznak
09-02-2009, 06:27 AM
So what scale are the minis? Are they 40K game compatible?

Shadow Queen
09-02-2009, 06:29 AM
According to what I have been told yes.

fleabanger
09-02-2009, 06:31 AM
getting mine tomorrow
should be good, i cant wait to lay into the termis with some paint

Blaznak
09-02-2009, 06:33 AM
Oh, btw: Our local store apparently has 98 copies coming in. Yikes!

goliath
09-02-2009, 06:42 AM
I started playing it about a week or two ago at my local games workshop
The box weighs 3.7 kilos

Benandorf
09-02-2009, 07:02 AM
So what scale are the minis? Are they 40K game compatible?

They seem to be.

My only complaint with the box, after getting it opened and starting to assemble minis, is that the way the arms go together sucks. It's quite difficult to get the right angle, so you'll end up breaking a couple of the connector pins more likely than not. Nothing a bit of super glue can't fix, but it's annoying all the same. Notably the assault cannon and Thunder Hammer arms don't want to go on.

Dahli.Llama
09-02-2009, 07:55 AM
I hope I get a call from my local shop so I can pick it up ASAP.

eldargal
09-02-2009, 07:59 AM
This is true, though I didn't actually break any connector pins (one was already broken). Funnily enough my brother slices his finger open on a genestealer claw, very deep with lots of blood. Kind of apt I thought.

They seem to be.

My only complaint with the box, after getting it opened and starting to assemble minis, is that the way the arms go together sucks. It's quite difficult to get the right angle, so you'll end up breaking a couple of the connector pins more likely than not. Nothing a bit of super glue can't fix, but it's annoying all the same. Notably the assault cannon and Thunder Hammer arms don't want to go on.

Loki73
09-02-2009, 09:25 AM
i am jealous! darn GW!

Tigerguy
09-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm also curious as to the scale. In the pictures, the terminators look a little small. Anyone compare the SH termies to regular termies?

Hopefully my copy of the game turns up today.

Brother Hastatus
09-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Mine came as well, and I was amazed at the weight of the box! The card sections seem very nice, and the models also look very good. I'm looking forward to getting paint on them though, as I don't like the red plastic the most. And now I'm gonna go read the rule books...

Funkenschlag
09-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Just thought I'd chime in here with a story my friend told me and I've seen the evidence so I believe him. He was given, as a gift for his son, a copy of the first edition of Space Hulk un-punched by a mutual friend of ours who'd had it for tewnty-ish years and hadn't bothered opening it.

He posted me some pictures of him an his son playing it (When I find 'em I'll post 'em so you can all feel my pain). Incidentally, if, about twenty minutes ago, you heard the loudest profanity ever, that was me.

gwensdad
09-02-2009, 11:10 AM
This is true, though I didn't actually break any connector pins (one was already broken). Funnily enough my brother slices his finger open on a genestealer claw, very deep with lots of blood. Kind of apt I thought.

It's a genestealer cult of Khorne! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

(OK, hope he's OK-you're not ignoring taking him to a hospital to play with the new toys?) :D

Deej
09-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Other Brits may like to know mine arrived today, with standard delivery. May your copies find you with haste!

VulkansApprentice
09-02-2009, 11:36 AM
They seem to be.

Agreed....I broke some myself. I got mine yesterday (9/1) via UPS. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but the wife and I will be later today. I have never played the earlier versions as I didn't come into the GW hobby until late 3rd Ed, and had nearly a decade gap until coming back in between Apocalypse and 5th Ed. However, I am very impressed all across the board (literally and figuratively), and having assembled all of the contents, I am no longer regretful at having parted with $100. It was well worth it, GW truly made a quality product here. Most of all, the weight was just very satisfying to hold.

The rules are very simple, yet allow for some complexity and strategy. The minis seem to be compatible with 40K, though basing might take some creativity. The terminators are the same size, but if you base them for 40k they're a little big for the SH squares.....they work, but table bumps could make them slide enough to cause a dispute as to which square they actually occupy. The stealers are also the same size, though the terrain on some of them makes them rather large, and could have a big effect on LOS in 40k. They also have the basing issue, as 'stealers are normally on the smaller base, but the SH bases would have to be cut down to make them fit, which could then make them top-heavy and unbalanced. The possibility is there for those who are willing to make the effort. I'll be painting up the termies for my existing BA army, and my current not-quite-finished BA termies will be getting green-washed for my Salamanders.

McPherson
09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Well mine was waiting for me when I got home from work last night.

I didnt play with it too much since it's a gift to me from ym wife and I'm not allowed to open it till my birthday (Friday) so I dont know whats worse, waiting for it to arrive in the mail or knowing its here and seeing the box knowing i'm not allowed to open it :D

Wryth
09-03-2009, 04:54 AM
I got my space hulk TUESDAY :D yay for GW OZ, havnt taken anything off the sprues yet as have an Eldar army to finish but I can't wait to get stuck into it.

Really don't know if I'll convert the Terminators or not, I use the Templar symbol for my own chapter but the blood angel iconography is so well done