PDA

View Full Version : Lizardman vs Heavy Gun armies need help XD

doom-kitten
02-19-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm getting really tired of cannons putting holes in my Stegadons and Carnosaur before the game even starts, and the sheer number of missile weapons my opponents are using now that the new shooting rules are out is well very intense. Many people have suggested Terradons and I 've done this plenty of times it's a wonderful unit but generally a one hit wonder unit that dies after doing it's bit, in one horrible game my Stegadon carring the engine of the Gods and projected the powerfeild was hit by a great cannon suffered 5 wounds and just died no ifs ands or buts. He then unleashed bullet hell on my now unprotected saurus and almost wiped two units of 35 saurus off the board thats insane by the way, used outriders to pop my teradons etc. By the end of his shooting phase I had one Skink left (failed it's Ld and Boogied), 23 of my original 70 saurus, a badly wounded Oldblood who had his Carnosaur shot out from under him and a very horrified unit of Saurus cavarly that was lucklyl hidden behind a rock formation. It was ridiculous and the most nerve wrecking game I've ever played probably the closest I've come to actually getting angry during a game, anyone got an idea how to handle armies like this when your own army sucks at shooting or has almost no shooting to speak of, it seems to me that shooting has replaced magic as the most deadly factor in Fantasty.

Atrocity
02-19-2011, 01:09 PM
two things, one which army(ies) in particular are you having problems against? Maybe consider a few 5 man units of chameleon skinks to scout and wound (and hopefully kill) any warmachines. They can castle on a hill and kind of screw this plan up, but it's not common. Have you considered throwing a Iron Curse on your Engine? I know it's only a 6+ but it's a 5 point item and if it works it's paid for itself. There's also the Sun Standard for TG/Slann, etc.

doom-kitten
02-19-2011, 03:08 PM
The armies are Empire, Dwarves, Skaven, D.Elf and H.Elf each is roughly 60% ranged units, the Empire player runs pure shooty and hugs his table edge.

novatomato
02-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Chameloen Skinks and Terradon Riders are your friends here (and all the time). The Chamos can put out a lot of accurate poisoned shots and the Terradons can get in ccombat with those gun lines on turn one (with the vanguard move you can easily get a flank charge as well to avoid to stand and shoot reaction).

Try the Charmed Shield on one of your monster riding characters, for five points you get a shield that lets you ignore the first wound on a 2+. It can easily give that beastie, or another beastie if they want to kill the character badly, a second turn to get to the lines. More importantly it gives the Chamos a second turn to eliminate another couple of warmachines.

rtmaitreya
03-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Run a single disposable unit of skinks in front of each saurus warrior unit as well. Enemy handguns and crossbows get screwed, because you give cover -2 to the saurus, and are yourselves -1 to be shot (and skinks that absorb bullets are worth the points). Ensure you keep within 12" of your general and/or BSB and you will NEVER run. People hate having to kill skink skirmishers with shooting.

Two units of skirmishers, two units of terradons, and two units of chameleons. Bring a little L2 priest and hope for comet. Between all this, you should be in MUCH better shape.

Oh, and adjust your armies until they do. Don't bring an engine of the gods unless you can protect it! If the enemy has loads of cannons, don't even bother. I'm one of those cannon guys, and I love to blast that thing to smithereens every game turn 1.

doom-kitten
03-11-2011, 11:42 AM
SUCCESS! Mauled an Empire gunline last night using a Slann Mage Priest (accepted defeat and bought one finally :(), kept popping Pha's Protection and equipped his Temple Guard with the Sun standard, oppenent shot at the unit once throughout the whole game. Two units of Terradons (5 each) dropped rocks on his rifle wimps and one unit was wiped out completely :eek:, forced his pyromancer to take a miscast for my slann and he rolled 3 and was removed on a 1 :D. Stegadon with the Engine lived (hid behind the slanns unit all game he shot at it once with a cannon but passed the 5+ ward (whew). Saurus cavalry utterly failed me though, charged a unit of swordsman and kill ten but the *******s held their ground and my cavalry got charged by a steam tank that sucked. Saurus infantry unit ate his pathetic human soldiers alive and took on a horde of Halberds and won that was intense killed atleast nine of those *******s a turn but took four combats to break them. His cannons fired duds most of the time so I guess I can't claim dominance they didn't really do much for him but he deserved the los getting tired of his bragging about sniping my warbeasts with his cannons. Terradons are now my babies :p just to cool not to use, I want like a billions of those nasty death machines and so worth the points now.

Beta_Ray_Bill
03-26-2011, 04:47 PM
SUCCESS! Mauled an Empire gunline last night using a Slann Mage Priest (accepted defeat and bought one finally :(), kept popping Pha's Protection and equipped his Temple Guard with the Sun standard, oppenent shot at the unit once throughout the whole game. Two units of Terradons (5 each) dropped rocks on his rifle wimps and one unit was wiped out completely :eek:, forced his pyromancer to take a miscast for my slann and he rolled 3 and was removed on a 1 :D. Stegadon with the Engine lived (hid behind the slanns unit all game he shot at it once with a cannon but passed the 5+ ward (whew). Saurus cavalry utterly failed me though, charged a unit of swordsman and kill ten but the *******s held their ground and my cavalry got charged by a steam tank that sucked. Saurus infantry unit ate his pathetic human soldiers alive and took on a horde of Halberds and won that was intense killed atleast nine of those *******s a turn but took four combats to break them. His cannons fired duds most of the time so I guess I can't claim dominance they didn't really do much for him but he deserved the los getting tired of his bragging about sniping my warbeasts with his cannons. Terradons are now my babies :p just to cool not to use, I want like a billions of those nasty death machines and so worth the points now.

Looks like you have learned! A constant struggle for any general. The point is to learn the opposing 'general's' weakness and exploit it. Part of this is also chance, which I am struggling with at this point, but the ability to read your opponent's moves helps a great deal! ALWAYS have a back-up plan though, just in case he see's a way through your terradons...

Nikephoros
03-27-2011, 03:11 PM
I talk about this topic a bit in my blog. (http://nike40k.blogspot.com/2011/02/8th-edition-primer-magic-synergy-part-1.html?showComment=1301191925338#c6700606364631052 815)

A Slann with Lore of Light using Phas, and a Skink Priest with Lore of Heavens using Ice Shard Blizzard will give you a ton of defense against the main weakness of LM armies: warmachines. It's natural synergy. Good luck.