PDA

View Full Version : Librarian?

Big_Willie
08-31-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm doing a heresy era Imperial Fist, who defended a section of the Imperial Palace, and I wanted to know if having a Librarian is fluffy?

Ming
08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
No. IIRFTFROMB Librarians were not a major chapter feature of note till after the heresy? Was there not some story line codified about some big event to determine the viability of librarians in codex chapters? Chaplains seemed to be more important.

Mike X
08-31-2009, 08:45 PM
No. IIRFTFROMB Librarians were not a major chapter feature of note till after the heresy? Was there not some story line codified about some big event to determine the viability of librarians in codex chapters? Chaplains seemed to be more important.

Not entirely true. Librarians existed, as seen in the Horus Heresy novel 'Descent of Angels'.

Chaplains also existed, but I don't understand why. In a time when religion was abolished, why would the Space Marines need a spiritual leader?!

entendre_entendre
09-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Not entirely true. Librarians existed, as seen in the Horus Heresy novel 'Descent of Angels'.

Chaplains also existed, but I don't understand why. In a time when religion was abolished, why would the Space Marines need a spiritual leader?!

they would be more like political officers and they would reinforce the belief in the imperial truth among any SM's that have found it wanting (come across any chaos artifacts lately?) they would also deal with morale as well ( hey they may be SM's, but they still have feelings...). Chaplains were there, but they were in the background mostly, like the oft-forgotten Legion Librarians...
and don't even get started on the Word Bearers...

Brother Hastatus
09-01-2009, 01:19 PM
There's contradicting fluff as to whether or not chaplains and Librarians existed pre-heresy. Obviously Librarians were in the Thousand Sons, but they weren't round much apart from that. Chaplains crop up in the odd story, but must have had a very different role. I imagine you could have a Librarian in an army really, as they are cool, and no one will mind that much. Also, if the army is based around defending the Imperial Palace, you could say that they were desperate, and so introduced psykers as a last resort.

RocketRollRebel
09-02-2009, 11:59 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't. One of the main characters in Decent of Angels and Fallen Angels is a Librarian. Chaplains in the Heresy era to me seem to be more of a bad *** cheerleader than a spiritual leader that they become after the Heresy.

lauran
09-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Chaplains were more like political officers, like the commissar. but why would the space marines need that aren't they the most disciplined warriors in the entire galaxy?

Weren't librarians and the use of psychic powers forbidden following the counsil of Nikea.
Don't know when librarians and psychic where used again by marines.
It's possible that librarians were used at the siege of the imperial palace however.

GreyHunter
09-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Librarians were around but the emperor had warned each of his sons about messing around with the warp to much so some legions didn't use them. Then the Emperor found out that Magnus and the thousand sons were learn to much about the warp and gave them a warning at the counsol of Nikea to stop and when Magnus broke that promise the Emperor created a new officer class, the Chaplains, and ordered all Librarians to cease using their powers and become normal battle brothers. The Chaplains main job then was to make sure this order was followed through and no Librarians were using their powers.