PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk Computer game on Dosbox

Commander Dante
02-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Hey again 'Hulk fans!

This is another classic goodie that I am happy to share with you guys. In this verison, you get a 1st person view and control over one or two squads of Terminators to complete missions straight out of the original Space Hulk & Deathwing games. You will have access (eventually) to the entire range of weapons, from stormbolters through lightening claws as you battle the brood for the glory of the Emperor!

I had it years ago as a CD game, but now it is available on Dosbox emulator.

Dosbox is simple to use. First you need to go here to download the windows compatible version:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/files/dosbox/0.74/DOSBox0.74-win32-installer.exe/download

Next, grab the Space Hulk game (love the graphics!) here:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/421/Space+Hulk.html
Click the 'Get It' button on this, and the following page to download a .rar file of the game (compressed file).

If necessary, you can get winRAR to open .rar files here:
http://download.cnet.com/3001-2250_4-10007677.html?spi=e22858b4b672739e2b9484f8bffa2dec
Just install it and then you can extract your .rar compressed files (to your desktop is best for ease)

(HOW TO PLAY SPACE HULK - Installing Instructions for computer simpletons, like me)

1. First, you will need to run the Dosbox installer program that you downloaded first.

Double left-click it and follow the install wizard. It will be preset to install to C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.74

Instead, copy & paste this install location: C:\Program Files\dosgames\DOSBox-0.74

This will simply create another folder making an convenient location to put all your dosgames (of which another favorite of mine is Wolfenstein 3D).

2. Extract the Space Hulk (called Hulk) folder from the .rar file, onto your desktop and drag it into your newly created 'dosgames' folder, so that now you will have both it and the DOSBOX folder in there.

3. Run the DOSBOX program, which opens up a DOS window that will have a Z: prompt.

In order to play, simply type into Z: prompt this command:

mount c c:/dosgames

You will get a response that says "Drive C: is mounted as the local directory c:/dosgames\

4. Type into Z prompt:

c:

it will change from z: to c:

5. Type this command:

cd hulk

now your c: prompt will change to c:\hulk

6. Type this command:

hulk

Game will start in small window. Hold ALT + ENTER for full screen if desired. The intro video is cool, but after you have seen it a couple times you can push ESC to skip it.

Next, KILL GENESTEALERS as a Dark Angel Marine, Deathwing Company!

I have made it through the entire game (not an easy task), and I have a few handy playing tips for you.

You can make the 'non-primary marines' (the ones whose views are in the 4 smaller windows above the primary one you are controlling directly) shoot by left clicking in their windows. This is often good because sometimes you can kill 'Stealers farther down that the AI would if left to its own devices. However, this shooting will go straight down the middle only.

You can aim the Stormbolter fire of your 'primary' marine, and often hit 'Stealers hiding behind corners if you get it just right.

'Non-primary' marines are automatically on Overwatch, but may jam easily. 'Jammed' marines will unjam more quickly if you make right click on that window making them your 'primary' marine.

Ambushes are deadly! On levels with lots of Ambushes it pays to go slower, taking a step, and then waiting to see what pops out ahead. Running willy-niilly will only get you killed as you pass up an ambush location then get gored from behind.

Close combat is a combination of skill & luck. The skill is in the timing of your attack. The luck is hoping the 'Stealer doesn't throw you a feint then counter-attack and tear you a new pie-hole. Weapons like power-sword, thunder hammer or lightening claws will give you better result if you are controlling the marine in your 'primary' window.

As you progress, you will be given the option of choosing your own weapons loadouts. It takes a while to get to this point in the game.

Use the 'birds eye' screen to precisely control your marines movement, and especially some attacks like flamer hits. You can program several moves for each marine, so that they will all act in concert doing different tasks such as opening doors, picking up CAT units, firing flamers, or following pre-planned routes.

You can control the 'primary' marine's movement with the arrow keys more easily than clicking the arrow buttons on screen.

I hope these few tips help but they are far from being all that there is to playing this sweet version of video game Space Hulk.

I would be happy to assist in answering any questions that anybody has.

Good hunting!