PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Mecdar list for 'ard boyz

Opiee
02-27-2011, 12:41 AM
I am looking to refine my list for the upcoming 'ard boyz event. i am open to all sugestions.

Heavy Support 375 ARMY TOTAL 2499

(3)Fire Prism Spirit Stones
TOTAL 450

HQ 643

Eldrad Ulthran (connected to Howling Banshees)
TOTAL 210

Farseer Jetbike, fortune, Guide, Spirit stones, Singing Spear(with Warlocks)
TOTAL 158
Warlock 5, Jetbike, Destructor x5
TOTAL 270

ELITES 752

Fire Dragons 5
Transport Twin linked Scatter Lazers, Shruriken Cannon, Spirit Stones
TOTAL 215

Fire Dragons 5
TOTAL 215

Howling Banshees 10, Exarch, executioner, acrobatic
TOTAL 322

TROOPS 729

Dire Avengers 9
TOTAL 243

Dire Avengers 9
TOTAL 243

Dire Avengers 9
TOTAL 243

aycee71
02-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Just an opinion here, spirit stones on vehicles are not really needed. Before 5th edition there were a must option with the chance of getting stunned was greater. Since the fifth edition there is only a 1/6 chance of stones coming into play. I don't have my rule book in front of me but even if a grav tank doesn't move I still believe you need a 6 to hit it in CC but I could be confusing that with a previous edition (I've been playing since Rogue Trader days so I have been known to confuse rules). It just seemed to me that in play the spirit stones weren't worth their cost anymore. Also when I play Fire Prism's I don't equip them with anything but since you are playing in Ard Boyz the holo-fields will make them tougher to kill. I wonder if Night Spinners wouldn't be a better option with 2500 points on a 6x4 table.

Farseer Aycee

Tynskel
02-27-2011, 07:34 AM
to hit is based upon speed of vehicle, not type.

Tynskel
02-27-2011, 07:36 AM
as for the list, I am surprised you are not taking that new grav tank with the weaver weapon. It is pretty useful.

Opiee
02-27-2011, 12:18 PM
for my 3rd heavy slot i was thinking of either replacing a Fire Prism with a squad of war walkers with scatter lasers or using a Shadow Weaver.

Rolling to hit in CC is based on how far the tank has moved. if i dont move it is an insta hit. I almost feel it is a must. but if I take the Stones off all of them and lower the SL to SC i would only be losing 9 shots per turn and i could use those points else ware.

DarkLink
02-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Just an opinion here, spirit stones on vehicles are not really needed.

Always take spirit stones. Mechdar rely on their mobility to win. Spending 10pts per vehicle to ensure you retain that mobility is a small price to pay, because if you lose the ability to move then that vehicle is worthless for a at least a turn.

I don't have my rule book in front of me but even if a grav tank doesn't move I still believe you need a 6 to hit it in CC but I could be confusing that with a previous edition (I've been playing since Rogue Trader days so I have been known to confuse rules).

Skimmers have no special bonuses against CC attacks in 5th ed.

Also when I play Fire Prism's I don't equip them with anything but since you are playing in Ard Boyz the holo-fields will make them tougher to kill.

Holofields are too expensive on anything but a Falcon carrying a scoring unit. Though always take spirit stones on anything with holofields, because the odds of you being stunned are quite a bit higher, and you should be taking spirit stones anyways.

Opiee
02-28-2011, 03:33 PM
I edited the OP with some minor changes. like 5 destructors now.

What do yall think of the Jetbike seer council. i have never play tested them before.(i should get some games in this week with them)

aycee71
03-01-2011, 02:57 AM
I still think that spirit stones are a waste of points. Also with the Wave Serpents having two weapons STR6 you can only move 6" to be able to shoot both. If you want to keep the Shuriken Cannon I would go with EML's. That way you can move 12" and fire both as long as you use the plasma STR4 option on the EML's. Also I prefer EML's for the versatility and ability to crack most enemy transports.

Farseer Aycee

dvs1
03-01-2011, 04:44 AM
DAVU? With the points saved, its a whole nother unit with ride.

Opiee
03-01-2011, 05:49 AM
DAVU? With the points saved, its a whole nother unit with ride.

What is DAVU?

And Aycee you dont think that being able to move my skimmers is worth 10 points per? if skimmers get stunned to me they seem dead in the water.

aycee71
03-01-2011, 11:56 AM
The times that they do happen to get stunned is a rare occurrence and even when they do rarely affect the outcome of the game. The next couple of times you play keep track of how often a spirit stone would still allow you to move. It may happen once or twice. Is it worth spending the points on something that may happen just a couple of times? My thoughts are that it isn't. It seems with my Wave Serpents I usually lose the main weapon and then my Wave Serpents turn into mobile LOS blockers are guided missiles. I once took out two tanks by ramming them. Will three if you can't that on the second tank he destroyed himself as well.

Farseer Aycee

dvs1
03-01-2011, 03:18 PM
DAVU stands for dire avenger vehicle upgrade. Basically you take a min squad of avengers with no upgrades in a serpent, to give yourself a scoring tank. In an 'ardboyz setting, you will rarely be getting out and shooting anyway, so this optimizes point reduction while keeping the serpent scoring. Instead of 243 for the unit plus ride, you now only pay 90 (serpent) + 60 ( dire avengers) + 10 (spirit stones) + any weapons you see fit to arm. I like shuriken cannons to keep them cheap, but eml are always a solid choice IMO to take advantage of its twin-linked nature.

Opiee
03-01-2011, 05:03 PM
If i do the bare min for all 3 squads. would i then put in vipers? or drop a prism and put in a walker squad with SL?

This is my 1st Ard boys list since 2nd ed. i have just started picking up the game again. so my knowledge of how other armys work is limited. this is why i want to get a good list 3-4 months in advance.

and thanks for all the input thus far.

dvs1
03-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Vypers are more akin to sm landspeeders than a transport. I think the vehicle your thinking of is the falcon though. While falcons with ss and holofields wreak all kinds of havoc, most people prefer prisms or spinners over them because wave serpents are almost as good/better. Save the 3 heavy slots for the big guns or walkers since you cant normally find them elsewhere in the list. I find the force shield around the serpent to be superior to a holofielded falcon, purely based on the fact that i don't have to pay for this upgrade. It comes for free. Vypers are something you might want to consider anyway, as it gives you a decent fast weapon platform that fits with the armies speed.

Opiee
03-01-2011, 09:01 PM
No i ment Vipers. so if i use bare mins for my 3 DA squads i would "gain" 219 points. I personally see one of 2 ways to spend those points.
1 is adding a 3 man Viper squad which is about 210 points.
2 i can take out a Fire Prism and add in 3 War Walkers to outflank. with the leftover points from that i really dont know what to add. except for Vipers. and if i add vipers i can add 2 with a good weapon loadout or 3 with only like 40 points for weapons for all 3 of them.

dvs1
03-04-2011, 03:25 AM
I'd personally go with vypers. Keep in mind you are looking a little light on scoring troops at that point level. Last year I believe the only eldar finalist ran
Eldrad
x8 fire dragons + wave serpent
x6 5 man DAVU + wave serpents
x3 prisms
... I wish i had that many grav tanks...

Opiee
03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I played my 'ard boyz list against a Ravengaurd marines list and stomped the crap out of him. by turn 6 he had 1 model left. I made ALOT of mistakes. and he only killed 2 Firedragon squads 2 Avenger squads and one Wave Serpent.

I am also thinking about this List aswell:
Heavy Support 430 ARMY TOTAL 2496

(2)Fire Prism Spirit Stones
TOTAL 250

WarWalkers 3 Scatterlazers
TOTAL 180

HQ 648

Eldrad Ulthran (connected to Howling Banshees)
TOTAL 210

Farseer Jetbike, fortune, Doom, Spirit stones, Singing Spears (connected to Warlocks)
TOTAL 163
Warlock 5, Jetbike, Destructor x5
TOTAL 275

ELITES 683

Fire Dragons 5
Transport
90+25+10+10 Twin linked Scatter Lazers, Shruriken Cannon, Spirit Stones
TOTAL 215

Fire Dragons 5
TOTAL 215

Howling Banshees 6, Exarch, executioner
TOTAL 253

FAST ATTACK 225

Vipers 3, EML, Shurikin cannon
TOTAL 225

TROOPS 510

(3)Dire Avengers 5
Transport Twin linked Shruriken Cannon, Spirit Stones
TOTAL 170

This list will give me more shots per turn. and more mech on the table. i have not play tested it yet. and i might not for a couple months since i want to play test my 1st list.

DarkLink
03-04-2011, 04:08 PM
I like vypers. I've played a few games with 2x2 vypers with a scatter laser and shuriken cannon, and that can put out a good amount of firepower, but isn't that high up in terms of target priority for your opponent, as he's trying to take down all your transports that can do all the annoying objective contesting and stuff. They might eventually get killed off, but you should get a few turns of shooting with them at least.

I also agree that EMLs on the serpents is important in higher point games. The one thing that mechdar doesn't do well is long range heavy firepower. Spamming str 6 is ok vs razorbacks and the like, but you need to have something that can really hurt tanks at a distance. 4-5 TL missile launchers isn't fantastic, but it's very useful to have in higher point games. At lower points, you can skimp on points and just go with scatter lasers, but with a 2500pt limit I don't think there's a good reason to keep things that cheap.

And spirit stones are still a must. Every single game I've played with my mechdar, one or two of my vehicles gets stunned per turn. Being able to stay mobile despite that is very valuable when your entire army is built around controlling the movement phase.

Whoop!
03-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I am also going to try out the hard boys tournament, and I'm not sure what to expect. Is the meta as mech based as the net seems to suggest?

DarkLink
03-05-2011, 01:21 AM
It'll depend on the locations of the events. For the first round, most players will probably be locals, and so whatever armies are common in that area will show up. Once you get to the semis, then you start to draw the winners with the higher quality armies, so yes, there will be more mech. Any non-'nid/daemon/footdar list that makes it to the semis, and almost certainly to the finals, will likely be highly mechanized. Good footdar players are still pretty rare, but learning to beat them is worth it if you do run into them.

Opiee
03-05-2011, 02:28 AM
Eldrad
x5 fire dragons + wave serpent
x6 5 man DAVU + wave serpents
x3 prisms
x3 vypers with EML SCannon
... I wish i had that many grav tanks...

I was thinking about this tonight. i would beable to get 4 of the DAVU WS with EML and SCannon's and be at exactly 2500. i wounder how that would run... 6 scoring tanks.

the fact that i can tank shock people off objectives is kinda crazy. i did it twice tonight to win games.

I just need to keep play testing.