PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pt Space Wolves: Lots of Missiles and Yiffing

Zeitkraft
03-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Just thought I'd put this up here for C&C. I'd like to hear peoples' thoughts on it

2000 points

Wolf Lord w/ Frost Blade, SS, Runic Armor, 2 wolves, TW Mount, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Wolf Tail Talisman, Saga of Majesty 270

3 x 10 GH w/ 2x Melta Gun and Rhino 190 x 3 = 570

2 x 5 TWC w/ 1 Frost Blade, 1 Storm Shield, 1 Melta Bombs, 1 Bolter 310 x 2 = 620

3 x 6 Long Fangs w/ 5x Missile Launcher and Razorback 180 x 3 = 540

Tynskel
03-01-2011, 03:03 PM
This totally reminds me of a 90's video game Marathon...

I have seen this list before...
I will see this list again...
and I will destroy this list...

it is my destiny.

If you are going to go this route, my suggestion is to drop one thunder cav unit. Beef up the other unit with an item or two (preferably thunder hammers and storm shields). Take 3 dreadnoughts (drop some razorbacks if you have to).

That will make this list 'unique' compared to previous iterations I have seen. Not to mention, Dreadnoughts are just fun, and reliable.

Lemt
03-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Here's what I would play instead, and I'll also explain why changes:

HQ
Canis Wolfborn

TROOPS
10 GHs, 2 Meltaguns, Rhino

FAST ATTACK
5 Thunderwolves w/ 1 Wulfen, 1 Frost Weapon, 1 Meltabombs, 1 Plasma Pistol
5 Thunderwolves w/ 1 Wulfen, 1 Frost Weapon, 1 Meltabombs, 1 Plasma Pistol

HS
6 Long Fangs w/ 5 ML, Razorback w/ AssaultCannon, LasPlasma or TL-Lascannon

-I've changed the HQ from a Wolf Lord to Canis. He's MUCH cheaper than the HQ you chose, and only slightly less powerful, if at all. I think it's pretty much an obligatory change. Plus he's a boss in multiple-unit assaults.
-I've dropped the lone shield in the Thunderwolf units, but you can get it back, you just have to juggle points. Cut the Plasma Pistols (they are just a cheap way of getting a different mini for wound allocation without losing an attack), remove one special weapon from the Razorbacks, and change the Mark of the Wulfen on one unit for a bolter. This will give you the points for two Shields.
-I've given the Long Fangs' Razorbacks special weapons. This is the main reason I cut points from several places. Razorbacks are OK to give cover to Long Fangs against enemies, and for lots of other stuff. But Giving them special weapons turns them from annoying to threats. This will help take some pressure off your rhinos and your Thunderwolves.

Tynskel
03-01-2011, 07:21 PM
what makes Thunder wolves scary is not that they are two wounds with Toughness 5, it is that they can be 2 wounds at Toughness 5 with 3+ invulnerable.

Now, I am not a fan of Spam. But you seem interested in spam.

2000/2000
HQ 185
185 Canis
-Wolfborn

TROOPS 570
155 Grey Hunters
-10 Marines, 2 Meltaguns
35 Dedicated Transport: Rhino
155 Grey Hunters
-10 Marines, 2 Meltaguns
155 Grey Hunters
-10 Marines, 2 Meltaguns

ELITES 335
115 Dreadnought
-Plasma Cannon
115 Dreadnought
-Plasma Cannon
105 Dreadnought
-Twin-Linked Hv Flamer

FAST ATTACK 490
490 Thunder Cavalry
-5 Marines, 5 Storm Shields, Frost Blade, 2 Thunder Hammers, Mark of the Wulfen

Hv SUPPORT 420
140 Long Fangs
-6 Marines, 5 Missile Launchers
140 Long Fangs
140 Long Fangs

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
03-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I run a similar list check the no mech space wolves thread my list is there. Lose a long fang and hunter squad. add canis and fenris wolves for a meat shield, lose the rzrbacks and add PF, MOW and standards to hunters. When you charge your thunderwolf squads and canis forward your opponents will not be worried about ur hunters and most likely completly ignore the fangs leaving you to grab objectives and blast stuff to bits. just one man's opinion

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
03-01-2011, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=Tynskel;122976]This totally reminds me of a 90's video game Marathon...

I have seen this list before...
I will see this list again...
and I will destroy this list...

I would like to see the list that destroys this

Connjurus
03-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Blood Angels can do it quite handily.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
03-02-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm sure you have a great army and great list, but why does every blood angel player think they can "handle" every army. I played several BA lists and while yes they are awesome and you can make some interesting combos, but i have definatly won more than I lost. its all about playing the player not the army. I know Tau players that dominate simply because of the tactics they use and Tau are arguably the worst out there. Just one mans opinion.

PS- I would like to see this BA army list

Connjurus
03-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Not gonna hijack this guy's thread, but DoA lists with multiple Vanguard Vet squads will be a big problem for this list.

Demonus
03-03-2011, 02:10 PM
FAST ATTACK 490
490 Thunder Cavalry
-5 Marines, 5 Storm Shields, Frost Blade, 2 Thunder Hammers, Mark of the Wulfen

How can you get 2 THammers and a FB in the unit? I thought only 1 marine could upgrade to a TH or FB?

Whoop!
03-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Why mark of the Wulfen on a Thunder wolf calvary? It just doesn't make sense to me. Trade 5 attacks (4 + 1 for second CCW) for 1d6 +1 attacks? Why pay 5 pts for 2-7 rending attacks when you get 5 rending attacks for free? Just doesn't add up for me. What am I missing?

Lemt
03-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Mark of the Wulfen costs very cheap, and it allows you to play wound allocation musical chairs. And on average, you only lose half an attack (4.5 attacks to 5). Compare it to getting a boltgun instead: you'd then go to 4 attacks, since you wouldn't have 2CCWs anyhow. So Mark of the Wulfen has 0.5 more attacks in CC than getting a boltgun, in exchange for no shooting.

Demonus
03-04-2011, 09:38 AM
hehe i asked the same question yesterday on another forums.

Whoop!
03-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Fair enough! I guess since you are going with a SS for him any ways 4.5 is better than 4.

Carry on with the Killyness then.

Logyn
03-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Never EVER take wulven on TWC. if you want wound allocation, melta bombs [5 points] or bolter [FREE]. The razorbacks have heavy bolters because they're CHEAP, and they seem to be an afterthought in this list that adds a little mobile cover and some puppy screening. 40 points for a heavy weapon with a rhino chassy? Yes plz.

Keep the separate squads of TWC, they both hit hard and give your opponent something to think about, and unlike 1 squad, a single unit won't tie them all up. Thunder hammers or power fists instead of a frost axe is a good option, but inititive is a good thing and s6 handles most things pretty well, so it's a close call.

Consider dropping the wolf lord for 2 Wolf guard battle leaders, just to give each separate puppy squad more punching power. It'll be a few more points, but at worst you drop the razorbacks.

All in all, a good list. And I'd like to see how DoA just 'beats' this list, considering that there isn't much they have that can hang with thunder puppies in cc, especially 2 squads of them. And lol at vanguard vets. if you're taking them against this list, you're wasting points.

Lemt
03-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Never EVER take wulven on TWC. if you want wound allocation, melta bombs [5 points] or bolter [FREE].

Meltabombs>Wulfen>Bolter. Meltas is obvious, but unless you need those 5 points dearly elsewhere on the list, why lose 0.5 attacks? Not like you want to shoot a rapid-fire weapon with them...

Whoop!
03-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Wulfen seems to give me more attacks when I don't need them. I mean if I'm already tabling some poor schmo who won't stop rolling ones, I always get the 6+ attacks. that's not to say that I don't get them when I need them also, I do. :-)

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
03-06-2011, 05:10 PM
i use MOW on my TWC for the wound divying, it really doesnt make too much of a difference plus i got the old wulfen model and he looks badass astride my thunderhawk riders.( i used wood elf warhawks for my TWC!!)

Whoop!
03-06-2011, 05:55 PM
i use MOW on my TWC for the wound divying, it really doesnt make too much of a difference plus i got the old wulfen model and he looks badass astride my thunderhawk riders.( i used wood elf warhawks for my TWC!!)

Post those pics and give me some inspiration Brother!:D

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
03-06-2011, 06:50 PM
i got them about 90% made and they are all unpainted. Ill paint a couple this week