PDA

View Full Version : Eldar @ 1750

09-01-2009, 09:10 AM
I was running a version of the Utah-crowd's "Best of Eldar":

Seer council on jet bike (9 man)

2 BL-Falcons with 6 man Fire Dragons

2 BL-Serpents with DA

Fire Prism

But I've been feeling like I don't have enough anti-infantry...or something, b/c I roll over anything that's not in power armor, but seem to get bogged down vs. 3+ saves. I was thinking of going to this list instead:

Same Seer Council (more or less)

2 EML- Serpents with Fire Dragons

2 BL- Serpents with DA

2 Fire Prisms

My question is really, is this an improvement? And should I go with EML on the FD-Serps or stick with BL? Thoughts?

TheKingElessar
09-01-2009, 09:19 AM
BL, for ten points, is far better a-t fire.

Do you have underslug S-Cans?

09-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Yes, every tank has the chin cannon.

I was taking EML on the FD serpents because I was going to ram them down the throat anyway (so range and sniping were irrelevant), and the FD do the AT for that package, so I was thinking I needed the extra infantry wounds (which might argue for scatter laser instead, but EML seemed more versatile)

TheKingElessar
09-01-2009, 09:38 AM
I think the versatility is overrated on the EML...it's not like a SM ML, which is relatively cheap compared to other Heavy Weapons, ours is moderately priced. I'd instead suggest swapping the Seer Council down to 8 total, and boosting the FDs to 7 with Exarch and DBF. That may help with your issues somewhat.

I should point out I think Marines and IG are just superior to Eldar though.

09-01-2009, 09:44 AM
So you disagree with He Who Cannot Be Named's assessment of Tau>Space Elves>IG>Marines? (paraphrasing). Not that I think you're wrong, but having run the "Best of Marines" a lot the Eldar are a nice change of pace.

I see what you mean about the points cost of the Eldar, but the whole codex is over-costed, so I didn't notice so much (yeah for 100 point basic transports). Should I just drop down to Scatter Lasers then?

I had been running 5 FD with a DBF Exarch, but need the points back to get the second prism, which I'm pretty sure will be more effective than a heavy flamer in a suicide unit. And so far (knock on wood) 5 FD has been more than enough to kill anything.

TheKingElessar
09-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I find Exarchs in units of <7 to be horrible points sinks, with the singular exception of Banshees, if in a Falcon for some reason (excluding also, Dark Reapers, who'd be awesome if they could have 7 guys...and cost 20 points each. Spears are too Fail for words. lol)

A second Prism is an definite improvement.

I've never seen Stel's Tau in action by any player, I only know 3 players with Tau, and only one could build the list (ATT's Eiglepulper) and he chooses not to, preferring his builds. Without that, I can't say they're above Eldar - though on paper they're equal at least.

Bear in mind Stele.k's ranking is very loose and prone to change, and that he throws DE in with Eldar in that analysis. As Ork players go down in number, Eldar's effectiveness drops accordingly.

Duke
09-01-2009, 10:07 AM
I am not the greatest fan of BL on serpents. I much prefer the EML and the underslung Shuri Cannon. This way you can fire both if you want to (EML @ st 4 blast and the Cannon at St 6).

TheKingElessar
09-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Why would you want to? A lot of people seem to move 12" constantly, for little or no reason. Having the option, ofc, is nice, but it's not better than the improved a-t fire. There's more than enough AV13+14 to make Lances necessary.

Kelmon
09-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I would take a council on foot with Yriel - moving around in a serpent. I would drop the heavy weapons on the serpents and use cannons instead. Add warpspiders and war walkers to improve your firepower.

So i would take:

Seer: runes of warding, re roll saves
Yriel
8 warlocks: enhance, embolden
Serpent: spirit stone, shucans

5 Dragons in Serpent with stones and shucans
5 Dragons in Serpent with stones and shucans

9 Avengers w. exarch, dual catapults storm in serpent with stones and shucans
3 jetbikes

5 warpspiders w. exarch and dual spinner

Prism
Prism
2 war walkers w. 4 scatter lasers

makes 1758 points - as a reserves list wich enters play in turn 2 or later, this list is very potent

09-01-2009, 01:12 PM
@TKE: So you're arguing for just taking BL on all the Serps then? I guess I agree with you to some extent, save for I'm tight on points (solved by dropping to an 8-man council) and the meta-game where I am is fairly Mech-light (since the kiddies can't figure out 5th Ed.) Out of the other choices, which do you like, given the points efficiency etc?

I expect the Fire Prism to do the anti-MeQ work that you'd look to a vindicator for in a C:SM list (at only twice the points!!), which may again go back to scatter laser as the choice...time for some mathhammer!

TheKingElessar
09-01-2009, 01:39 PM
The most (only?) cost-effective gun is the Scatter Laser. :)