PDA

View Full Version : New to fantasy and Orcs and Goblins

Deadlift
03-03-2011, 10:23 AM
I have always just stuck with 40K, but after reading this months WD and also managing to get my hands on a copy of the new O and G army book and a box of savage orcs on Tuesday I decided to take the plunge into fantasy.

I guess starting small is the way to go and I was thinking 500pts as a starting point for an army. As I said I already have 10 savage orcs and have built them with command and extra hand weapon.

So just asking for a bit of help really, what do you guys think I should go with next for a heroe and additional core choices. Is 500pts a good start or should I be looking higher ?.

I like painting green, I like goblins so they hopefully will figure well in my finished army but other than that I'm just not sure.

Thanks in advance :)

Albavar
03-03-2011, 10:53 AM
500 is not bad for learning how to move things around and get the mechanics of the game down. The flow is a bit different than 40K and woe to the person who tries to use tactics that work in one when playing the other.

I'd start with a basic orc warboss/ big boss and fill in with core units to get the feel. Special and rare choices have increasingly esoteric special rules. I'd avoid the special characters until you get up to about 1500+ points.

novatomato
03-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Welcome to the world of Fantasy.

O&G are one hell of a fun army to play and they also have some of everything so you can learn about all the games multitudinous aspects.

I believe O&G have a great box that contains two Orc Warbosses, one on foot and the other mounted on a boar, they are great sculpts and have lots of stuff you can use to set your characters up. A great buy. I would also suggest looking around for some 'Battle for Skull Pass' sets, they contain a lot of night goblins and ten spider riders (who I think are an invaluable unit to have), pick up some fanatics and you have a solid base to start with (including a single Troll, you might want to pick up a few more for the lonely guy at some point).
The skull pass set also includes a Night Goblin Boss and a Night Goblin Shaman.

If you can no find the BfSP, or are not interested in Night Goblins then you would want to fill out that Savage orc unit to around 30 boyz, (you'll want to fill them out eventually as your points level progresses) and get some spear chuckas, lobbas, or Doom Divahs, to help keep the pressure off the Savages. In the end you can't go wrong with mobs of Boyz and some Big 'Uns.

I will be getting the new O&G book soon myself so I can help you out with more specifics when I've had a proper read of it.

As for starting at 500, that is, as Albavar has said, a good points level to begin at.

Mazelf
03-03-2011, 03:35 PM
hey, at 500 points Id prolly be going for a Gobbo list, Skull Pass would be a great buy for you!

gcsmith
03-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Well for 500 point I would do a goblin force to maximise efficiency of points. Cheap hordes which can bog down units to death. :)
Not to blow my own trumpet but i do have a force for sale on this site if ur willing to have a look. might help u a bit :)

Deadlift
03-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Well for 500 point I would do a goblin force to maximise efficiency of points. Cheap hordes which can bog down units to death. :)
Not to blow my own trumpet but i do have a force for sale on this site if ur willing to have a look. might help u a bit :)

Is it painted ?

gcsmith
03-04-2011, 04:17 PM
some yes. mostly no, just sprayed mostly, check its in the any one interested in o&g thread. :p

novatomato
03-04-2011, 04:35 PM
for what its worth I will say its a good collection of stuff. If only I hadn't decided to 'finish up' my skaven and lizardmen armies just before he put it up it would have been sold by now.

gcsmith
03-04-2011, 04:52 PM
:p ur scaven can wait :p

Kieranator K82
03-04-2011, 05:24 PM
What I wanna know is: How'd he get this stuff before release day?

gcsmith
03-05-2011, 03:11 AM
u kidding? as long as u know a gw manager and are nice, u can get it 1/2 days early. The ork shaman is a sweet kit :p from wat i saw, if it ever fell off the table, the floor wouldnt break it. it would break the floor.

Deadlift
03-05-2011, 04:36 AM
The owner of a local model shop always lets me get my mitts on kits and books a week or so early, in return I paint their display stuff for them, simples :)

gcsmith
03-05-2011, 05:24 AM
:) gotta love devon, well hope ur army comes on well deadlift, and if ur interested at all :)

Deadlift
03-05-2011, 06:03 AM
:) gotta love devon, well hope ur army comes on well deadlift, and if ur interested at all :)

lol I just saw your local, I bet I know you from torquay GW. Im in Paignton.

I used to play more when Richard was still managing the store but when he left I took a little break, He came to work for me last summer and now he is working in Newton Abbot. He gave up the hobby in a big way and sold everything on bay.

gcsmith
03-05-2011, 07:54 AM
yh im from GW Torquay, and thats cool. Didnt see he sold everything tho. :)
anyway if u want the O&G at all :p

Deadlift
03-06-2011, 03:29 AM
yh im from GW Torquay, and thats cool. Didnt see he sold everything tho. :)
anyway if u want the O&G at all :p

I have to give you A for effort lol, but no i wont be buying such a massive army as nice as it is. I don't do well when I have masses of stuff in front of me and I prefer to build my own army. I also find it easier to smuggle in small boxes a bit at a time so Mrs Deadlift doesn't see how much I spend :eek:

Thanks for the offer though.

Strivos
03-08-2011, 02:05 AM
Always great to see more OandG players :)

I too came from 40k but when 7th edition came out.
I started out with me and a friend each getting a copy of battle for skull pass and so I got a double set of gobbos. If you can lay your hands on one of the skull pass sets its still a very good value and will set you up well.
Your Savage Orcs can be an elite core to that army and you can use the Orc boss as a Big boss or Warboss.

One excellent site that I recommend is http://www.avianon.net/
This guy knows his Orcs and Goblins and though it is still set up for 7th a lot of the broader tactics are the same from that edition to this like manuvering.

I will give you some advise though, and that is Orcs and Goblins are not what you would call a consistent tourney army. They can when you roll well slaugher other armies. Other times your fanatics decide that your general is not worhty. If you are ok with that type of anarchy then I think you will have a fun time then :D

Deadlift
03-08-2011, 02:54 AM
Always great to see more OandG players :)

I too came from 40k but when 7th edition came out.
I started out with me and a friend each getting a copy of battle for skull pass and so I got a double set of gobbos. If you can lay your hands on one of the skull pass sets its still a very good value and will set you up well.
Your Savage Orcs can be an elite core to that army and you can use the Orc boss as a Big boss or Warboss.

One excellent site that I recommend is http://www.avianon.net/
This guy knows his Orcs and Goblins and though it is still set up for 7th a lot of the broader tactics are the same from that edition to this like manuvering.

I will give you some advise though, and that is Orcs and Goblins are not what you would call a consistent tourney army. They can when you roll well slaugher other armies. Other times your fanatics decide that your general is not worhty. If you are ok with that type of anarchy then I think you will have a fun time then :D

Thanks for that mate, looking though the book and rules, they look like a very fun army to play for both player and opponent. Tournament wise i am not bothered to be honest. I just play for a laugh whilst having a few pints with friends. Never took 40k that seriously and never bothered with having "the competitive list" I always collected what I liked the look of. Im thinking of going maybe all Gobbo eventually. I know the leadership sucks but I just love the models. They look like fun models with character. I bought the Arachnarok this weekend. May never use it but its going to be fun to paint :D