PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard – 2500pts – Hybrid List

slobulous
03-04-2011, 01:31 AM
This is the list I will be playing at this year's 'Ard Boyz tournament. Preliminaries are in August!

HQ:

Company Command Squad – 4x plasma guns, Astropath [140]
Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Troops:

Veteran Squad – power fist, 3x melta guns, shotguns [115]
Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command Squad – 4x flamers [50]
Special Weapons Squad – 3x flamers [50]

Infantry Squad – power weapon, melta gun [70]

Fast Attack:

Vendetta – heavy bolters [140]

Heavy Support:

Hydra Squadron (3) – hull heavy bolters [225]
Battle Tank Squadron (2) – hull lascannons [330]
Demolisher Squadron (2) – hull lascannons [360]

Total

Sanguinary Dan
03-04-2011, 10:01 AM
The only thing I might suggest changing is to drop all 3 Vendetta's HBs and add a Plasma Pistol and Carapace Armor to the CCS.

It will give you extra protection against Gets Hot! plus another S7/AP2 shot. And firing 7 plasma shots that 4+ sv will be worth it's weight in gold.

Flammenwerfer13
03-05-2011, 03:26 PM
This is the list I will be playing at this year's 'Ard Boyz tournament. Preliminaries are in August!

HQ:

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Troops:

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Infantry Platoon

Fast Attack:

Heavy Support:

Total

Lets cut the fat!!!!!
Drop the powerfist from the chimera vet squads
Drop the power weapons and meltaguns from the Infantry squads replace with a flamer
Drop the heavy bolters from the Vendetta's, they're there for killing tanks don't confuse them otherwise.

That saves you 220 points!

Now lets shuffle up your list for better concept:

HQ:

Company Command Squad – 4x melta guns, Astropath [110]
Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Elites:

Psyker Battle Squad – 9x Psykers, Overseer [110]
Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Troops:

Veteran Squad – 3x plasma guns, lascannon, lasguns [135]
Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Veteran Squad – 3x melta guns, missile launcher, lasguns [115]
Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Infantry Platoon
Chimera – HF/HB [55] (Turret heavy flamer for 5 flame templates from a chimera!)

Infantry Squad – flamer [55]

Fast Attack:

Vendetta – [130]
Vendetta – [130]
Vendetta – [130]

Heavy Support:

Hydra Squadron (2) – hull heavy bolters [150]
Basilisk Squadron (2) – hull heavy flamers [250]
Demolisher Squadron (2) – hull heavy flamer [330]

Total 2445

Trims the fat big time and points the different units into their niche roles. When picking a guard unit build it to one task and one task only and make it the best at that task while understanding that units limitations.
The list comes out at 2445, drop the flamers in the Infantry squads and lascannons to missile launchers and you can add another Hydra Flak Tank. The point is that you need to refocus the list. Vets in Chimera with melta's aren't that great with out some other range with them. Unless your roling with Priest and Straken, Power fist and Power weapons aren't useful for guardsmen.

slobulous
03-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Lets cut the fat!!!!!
Drop the powerfist from the chimera vet squads
Drop the power weapons and meltaguns from the Infantry squads replace with a flamer
Drop the heavy bolters from the Vendetta's, they're there for killing tanks don't confuse them otherwise.

That saves you 220 points!

Now lets shuffle up your list for better concept:

HQ:

Company Command Squad – 4x melta guns, Astropath [110]
Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Elites:

Psyker Battle Squad – 9x Psykers, Overseer [110]
Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Troops:

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Infantry Platoon
Chimera – HF/HB [55] (Turret heavy flamer for 5 flame templates from a chimera!)

Fast Attack:

Vendetta – [130]
Vendetta – [130]
Vendetta – [130]

Heavy Support:

Hydra Squadron (2) – hull heavy bolters [150]
Basilisk Squadron (2) – hull heavy flamers [250]
Demolisher Squadron (2) – hull heavy flamer [330]

Total 2445

Trims the fat big time and points the different units into their niche roles. When picking a guard unit build it to one task and one task only and make it the best at that task while understanding that units limitations.
The list comes out at 2445, drop the flamers in the Infantry squads and lascannons to missile launchers and you can add another Hydra Flak Tank. The point is that you need to refocus the list. Vets in Chimera with melta's aren't that great with out some other range with them. Unless your roling with Priest and Straken, Power fist and Power weapons aren't useful for guardsmen.

Hmmm. No offense but I think your revised list is much weaker overall. You did not refocus the list, but in fact really mucked it up and made their roles less clear. Your list is much less mobile and just overall less effective. I'm willing to accept good advice but this is not that! For example, you suggesting to put heavy weapon teams in the veteran squads is ludacris!

Flammenwerfer13
03-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Hmmm. No offense but I think your revised list is much weaker overall. You did not refocus the list, but in fact really mucked it up and made their roles less clear. Your list is much less mobile and just overall less effective. I'm willing to accept good advice but this is not that! For example, you suggesting to put heavy weapon teams in the veteran squads is ludacris!

How so?
Guard strength lays in its vehicles and vet squads and not in varies squads in the open.
If your worried about the heavy weapons then drop them and get a third melta vet squad.

The points is that your need a base, not mobility with guard. You need a strong base that can reach across the board and touch anything, anywhere. The vendettas are the mobility and giving them Infantry Platoon units flamers negates the BS3 and makes the vendettas cheap scoring units. I actually added 2 more chimeras and indirect fire. Same amount of scoring units but better used. Maybe flipping the lascannons and missiles launchers so you have all your anti-vehicle and anti-infantry weapons in the right squads. I should have s=changed that earlier.

Archduke
03-06-2011, 11:42 PM
How so?
Guard strength lays in its vehicles and vet squads and not in varies squads in the open.
If your worried about the heavy weapons then drop them and get a third melta vet squad.

The points is that your need a base, not mobility with guard. You need a strong base that can reach across the board and touch anything, anywhere. The vendettas are the mobility and giving them Infantry Platoon units flamers negates the BS3 and makes the vendettas cheap scoring units. I actually added 2 more chimeras and indirect fire. Same amount of scoring units but better used. Maybe flipping the lascannons and missiles launchers so you have all your anti-vehicle and anti-infantry weapons in the right squads. I should have s=changed that earlier.

You should NEVER put heavy weapons in a vet squad that's in a chimera. The problem is that the squad needs to be stationary to fire it aka cannot fire it from a moving vehicle. Heavy weapons are almost always best when put in heavy weapon squads because these are dedicated squads that do not move and don't prevent your other troops from moving. Putting heavy weapon teams in your vets is just a waste.

Commander Vimes
03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
HQ:

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Good, I disagree with Dan's suggestion to add carapace and a plasma pistol, it's not worth the points.

Troops:

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

Chimera – ML/HF [55]

I don't like the power fists. There really aren't many targets that they help against. You will rarely charge with them because, at least in my experience, chimera mounted meltas need to move 12" and disembark to get the 2d6 armor pen that they need. This would give you 60 points to work with.

Infantry Platoon

You have 5 small fragile squads here, and only 3 Vendettas to mount them in. I'm guessing the Infantry squads are just walking on to score late in games? If that's the case drop the power weapon and melta, and maybe add a flamer. Power weapons are great in large combined squads of guardsmen, but are will scarcely help with only 10 guys. Dropping those and adding flamers would free up another 30 points.

Fast Attack:

Heavy Support:

Solid, I'm not a fan of the BS3 lascannons, but I can see them working, and they do let you threaten heavy tanks from across the board. I like Heavy Bolters on Vendettas. 10 points is just so cheap to let you threaten infantry light infantry.

With the 90 points I recommend cutting, I suggest adding a chimera for the Platoon Command Squad and giving one squad of Vets Demolitions. This gives you another vehicle for your opponents to kill, and the demolitions gives you the option mount that Vet squad in a Vendetta and alpha strike an enemy parking lot on the top of turn 1 if your opponent lets you. For 30 points, it's a nice option to have.

Flammenwerfer13
03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
You should NEVER put heavy weapons in a vet squad that's in a chimera. The problem is that the squad needs to be stationary to fire it aka cannot fire it from a moving vehicle. Heavy weapons are almost always best when put in heavy weapon squads because these are dedicated squads that do not move and don't prevent your other troops from moving. Putting heavy weapon teams in your vets is just a waste.

if your focused on the mobility aspect over maxing the BS4 capabilities of the Vets then drop all four heavy weapons and pick up the third melta vet squad. That gives you 10 scoring units. Its a either or arguement with heavy weapons in a vet squad in a chimera. Sorry but heavy weapon teams with out orders (even then still flaky) aren't that good, BS# just makes them second class to vet squads. Once that vet squad is planted on a objected it needs reach and melta guns can't hit anything in time.