PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Orks vs Blood Angels

RIGHT-Titan
03-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Buddy and I got together last night for a game. Had a blast. We played an 1850 match up.

I'll start with the armies, and then move into the match.

The Orks:

HQ:
Ghazhgkull Thraka
Big Mek - KFF

TROOPS:
6x Nobz, 2 klaws, waaagh banner, boss pole, painboy, regular nob, cybork bodies
20x Boyz, Nob with Klaw and boss pole
20x Boyz, Nob with Klaw and boss pole
10x Grots with Runtherd

ELITES:
15x Burnas
5x Lootas
5x Lootas

HEAVY:
Battlewagon, Big Shoota, Grot Riggers, RPJ, Armor, Grabbin Klaw, Deff Rolla
Battlewagon, Big Shoota, Grot Riggers, RPJ, Armor, Grabbin Klaw, Deff Rolla (Nob Dedicated Transport)

The Blood Angels: (apologies if I don't get it 100%)

HQ:
Mephiston, in Devastator Marines Dedicated Transport Land Raider

TROOPS:
5x Assault Marine, meltagun, in TL-HB Razorback

ELITE:

Furioso Dreadnought with Magnagrapple, Meltagun, Blood Talons, Drop Pod

FAST ATTACK:

Baal Predator

HEAVY SUPPORT:

6x Devastator Marines, 3x ML, 1x Lascannon, 2 Regular Marines
Storm Raven
Dreadnought (Inside Storm Raven)

-----------------------------------------------------

Mission Type: Seize Ground - 5 Objectives
Deployment Type: Dawn of War

Deployment: He won the roll off but let me deploy first. I chose to deploy Ghaz with his Nobz in their Dedicated transport Wagon. In hindsight I wish I had not deployed anything, but that's life. I placed it as far forward as terrain would permit, without over extending, due to not having the KFF save this turn.

In turn he deployed Mephiston in the Land raider in a similar posture on his side.

After deployment he tried to seize the initiative and did.

Top of Turn One - Blood Angels:

His mech all rolled on the back, much of it moving quickly. The land raider moved forward carrying the ever dangerous Mephiston. His storm raven moved flat out 24" on to an objective on my left flank. He elected not to deploy his Dreadnought from within. One razorback with assault marines sat on his rear objective to my right flank, while two razorbacks moved fast and the lead one popped smoke while providing a cover save to the second one. The Baal moved up in support of that flank. His devastators moved into a building at the back of the board on the left.

His Furioso dreadnought came in via pod to the left of my Battlewagon, it scattered away from it, but still within gun range. He blew it up with his Meltagun. Ghaz and the Nobz disembarked without taking any wounds or being pinned.

Bottom of Turn One - Orks:

I immediately moved Ghaz and company into the building to their north, and moved the rest of my forces on. The Lootas moved into cover on one objective in the middle rear of my side and right flank. I moved three battlewagons on the left flank, immediately smashing hard into the side armor of the Furioso and steamrolling over the Drop pod. Both were wrecked cleanly as the Orks roared with delight.

My Grots stayed in reserve.

Top of Turn Two - Blood Angels:

My opponent instantly recognized the threat the Battlewagons were to his forces and despite the initial early kill of Ghaz's ride, he soon became aware of the challenge of killing several of them. He shot at them with the Devastator Unit, the Land Raider, and the Storm Raven, with no damage done to the Front AV14 thanks to strong Ork knowwut and the Big Mek's Kustom Force Field.

He shuffled the Land Raider to try to stay out of charge range of the Wagons, but would regret this move as with a good Difficult Terrain roll I could potentially charge with the Nobz and Ghaz. He did some minor maneuvers on my right flank as well, trying to continue the trend of giving cover saves to advancing razorbacks. The Baal moved to the center objective and popped smokes. The Razorback that didn't pop smoke this turn fired on the Lootas on the right flank, but thanks to a 4+ cover save they took no casualties.

Bottom of Turn Two - Orks:

I knew my wagons were out of range of the land raider, but I moved all 3 up 13" and kept a solid wall of AV14 facing him. I then called the Waaagh, perhaps a little early, but it paid off. I was easily able to get Ghaz into combat with the Raider, and between his and the nobz attacks, it blew up in a blaze of glory. Mephiston took a wound but made his save and was not pinned. With that done, I immediately charged in with 15 Burna Boyz into Mephiston, knowing some would die but hoping I could take advantage of the attacks available to cut through his power armor. I formed a small chain leaving the Mek at the back of the group to continue providing a cover save to the vehicles and the unit by staying within 6". The Lootas opened up on the razorbacks doing no damage.

In the ensuing carnage with Meph, he managed to kill only 1 Burna, and I did one wound back to him stalling combat. I was very disappointed with the combat results. I had about 33 attacks against Mephiston, and only hit with 11, doing only 1 wound. Somewhat statistically abnormal as I'd hoped to cut down Mephiston a lot more.

Top of Turn Three - Blood Angels:

Seeing the trouble, and sensing that something needed to be done, he shot at my Nobz and Ghaz not in combat with a lot of stuff. The Baal, Storm Raven, Razorbacks, and newly dropped off Dreadnought, all shot up my Nobz and Ghaz. Fortunately because of the Waaagh, Feel No Pain, and Wound allocation, I was able to allocate hits that wound normally kill a nob outright to Ghaz and save them with his 2+ invulnerable save. He killed no Nobz but did wound 4 of them.

The Dev squad was ineffective again against the wall of AV14 facing them. For some reason, and probably one of the bigger mistakes my opponent made, he elected not to move his razorbacks towards my lootas, instead he kept his firing position and tried to shoot the Nobz.

In Close Combat, Mephiston killed 2 more Burnas, while only taking one wound back. The Burnas lost combat but held!

Bottom of Turn Three - Orks:

Time to push a bit I figured. I kept my wall of mech strong because I wanted to keep the cover save, and I probably could have done things a little differently to minimize casualties to this squad of Boyz, but it worked out ok. I disembarked the Boyz from the left most Wagon of my group of three and charged into his razorback. I opened it up and killed one Marine from the blast. Unfortunately the blast also killed 6 boyz.

The Lootas managed to wreck a Razorback finally, and the other managed to stun the Baal. I broke Ghaz off from the unit of Nobz, and sent the nobz towards the Baal and man himself to deal with the Walker. In the ensuing combats, I ripped an arm off the Walker and stunned it, and blew up the Baal, and took no wounds back in the resulting explosion. In the combat with Mephiston, I finally got a little luck, with Mephiston only killing one Burna and taking 3 wounds back - killing him at last. They consolidated into the ruins just to their north, taking cover from what would probably be righteous wrath in return if I didn't.

My Grots came on from Reserve this turn and sat with the lootas on my back objective.

Top of Turn Four - Blood Angels:

Now he knew things were dire. But he had a chance to turn it around with a little luck. He moved his storm raven and fired a Blood strike missile into my Battlewagon still containing boyz but the Forcefield from the Big Mek saved it again! Next he fired the Typhoon Missile Launcher at it, and did manage to immobilize it, but the Grot Riggers were able to negate the damage!

Getting frustrated he moved his remaining razorback on the right flank towards my lootas and disembarked his assault marines. He moved the ones from the previously destroyed razorback forward as well and unloaded on the hapless lootas. He killed 4 and the remaining one ran off the board, leaving him in possession of the right objective on my side of the board.

The Devastators and marines holding his rear left objective opened up with Frag Missiles and Bolt Pistol fire on my squad killing all but the nob. The nob held, only to get killed in the ensuing assault.

Ghazghkull still in combat with his dread, we resolved that, with the Walker being voiped from the field to a cacophony of Ork laughter.

Bottom of Turn Four - Orks:

At this point there wasn't much left in the way of Red Marines. Ghaz managed to charge the razorback on his rear objective and can opened it effectively. The Nobz in turn were able to charge the Storm Raven and popped it too. The battlewagon with the remaining Boyz moved up and were able to steamroll one unit of marines to death and charge the other, wiping both squads off the board.

This left the Orks in sole possession of three objectives and about to remove another marine squad courtesy of Ghaz on the next turn.

----------------------------

With no way to deal with the quantity of Orks left on the table, my opponent extended his hand and called the game.

Final tally, 3-1 Ork Victory.

Casualties:

Blood Angels:

6 Devastator Marines Killed
5 Assault Marines Killed
3 Razorbacks Destroyed
1 Storm Raven Destroyed
1 Furioso Dreadnought Destroyed
1 Drop Pod Destroyed
1 Dreadnought Destroyed
1 Baal Predator Destroyed
1 Land Raider Destroyed
Mephiston Killed

Orks:

19 Boyz Killed
1 Nob Killed
6 Burna Boyz Killed
1 Battlewagon Destroyed

------------------------

blackarmchair
03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Great Battle Report!

Orks can really surprise people - especially the Battlewagon variety. I love listening to some of the more tactically-minded, blog reading players at my local store tell me how bad Orks are during deployment then slowly switch their tune as the game goes on.

That being said, great job beating BA - they're one of the hardest match-ups for Orks (stupid FnP). Although your opponent's list seems pretty non-traditional and he had next to no melta.

I wonder, did he not know that you were bringing wagons? Was he expecting a horde? I see lots of Rockets and Heavy Bolters - great for Nobz and boyz - BAD against wagons. I also notice he never shot at your wagon's side armour. How did you manage to hide it so well?

Are there any pix?

Sorry for all the questions, take it as a compliment - I like your post :D

RIGHT-Titan
03-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Great Battle Report!

Orks can really surprise people - especially the Battlewagon variety. I love listening to some of the more tactically-minded, blog reading players at my local store tell me how bad Orks are during deployment then slowly switch their tune as the game goes on.

That being said, great job beating BA - they're one of the hardest match-ups for Orks (stupid FnP). Although your opponent's list seems pretty non-traditional and he had next to no melta.

I wonder, did he not know that you were bringing wagons? Was he expecting a horde? I see lots of Rockets and Heavy Bolters - great for Nobz and boyz - BAD against wagons. I also notice he never shot at your wagon's side armour. How did you manage to hide it so well?

Are there any pix?

Sorry for all the questions, take it as a compliment - I like your post :D

Thanks for the comments.

I forgot to take pictures... should have really.. and normally do.

I was fortunate with terrain placement really. We were using a modified cities board, so there were many taller ruins and buildings blocking line of sight to side armor on my wagons. I rode them up along a building and then in one turn moved them fast to the next, actually potentially giving up a charge one turn to protect them. He did manage to sweep his raven around and get those typhoon shots off on my rear armor, but that's when the mek was able to kff it and grots repaired it. Other than that, I just made sure he had other stuff to shoot at ;) By the time my wagons were viable targets, they'd moved boyz into charge range already. I only ended up deff rolla'ing the pod and furioso, everything else died to klaws or burnas lol

His list is very different from the internet lists, I do admit. However it is very very effective. He placed in the top 10 at Warmaster's Challenge, which is arguably one of the biggest tournaments in Canada. The whole premise is based around MSU and cheap rides. Those Razorbacks are very cheap and it keeps units in a fast box for a long time. When we play and I use my Dark Eldar or Codex Marines, he usually mops the floor with me. It's hard when you've got any units at all out of a vehicle because the quantity of bolter fire at 36" is devastating.

Orks are the first army he's seen me play that are very CC focused.

Also, each Assault Marine squad did have a melta gun, and there is melta on both dreadnoughts. His Raven had something like 3 blood strike missiles or something, plus the typhoon launcher. I guess he figured, with only 4 vehicles on the board, he had more than enough.

It was also his first time fielding the raven. The list he did really well with had 2 furiosos in pods and a vindicator, instead of a dreadnought in raven.

blackarmchair
03-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah I could see that list doing well against some Dark Eldar/regular marines. I'd keep using assault-y armies against it 20x marines are not that scary.

Cool bat rep though. I wish I had more city terrain to block my wagons :(