PDA

View Full Version : Starting Warhammer Fantasy

ninjacatz
03-11-2011, 05:49 PM
So I'm a mild 40k player who plays about once a month or so with a friend, and I've been looking at fantasy. It seems like a cool game system and I almost started when 8th edition came out but I had nobody to help me. So now, I might start playing and I was wondering, why armies are good beginner armies, are the rules easy to learn, and is the game overall as fun as 40k?

Scion_of_Terra
03-11-2011, 07:24 PM
As far as rules go, there are a lot more modifiers for things than there are in 40k, but most of it is pretty straightforward. There's also a completely different set of USRs, but these are pretty easy to memorize. The part you will most likely have trouble with is the Movement phase - it's much more tactical than it is in 40k, and more random as well. Magic, while ridiculously overpowered in 8th IMO, is fairly straightforward, and the consolidation of all spell-casting into one phase makes it easier to keep track of than psychic powers in 40k. Wargear selection is also very important in Fantasy.
If I could recommend an army... As a staunch Druchii player, I will say don't go for the High Elves - it's ridiculous how a militia made of hippies, poets, and farmers who do the whole 'weekend warrior' thing gets Always Strike First over their cousins, who share the same physical attributes but whose whole lives revolve around fighting in a way only the Orcs could possibly appreciate. Raeg aside, I would say Warriors of Chaos or Vampire Counts. The former is more hitty and the latter is more magic-y, so whichever style floats your boat. Empire is also a solid choice, as are Skaven, but I have less experience with those.

gcsmith
03-12-2011, 04:28 AM
Scion, just because you fight more, doesnt mean u train best. :)
Your guys are too busy playing with their friends than to train well.

Ninjacatz good beginer armies are Empire and dwarfs, They have solid troop base, as well as good fire support. Empire also have decent wizards to use the magic phase.

Armies like skaven, and HE in the starter set are ok. But really complex compared. HE in particular have to have the right balance of special units to win, For an army of t3 warriors they are damn expensive. And skaven just seem so monotonous. Tho if you wanna go starter set go skaven over all.

The rules are easy to learn, but are kinda more fidly and some rules are easily forgotten but if you play often enough ull pick up easily :)

Atrocity
03-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Honestly, a lot of the armies are decent for new players. Off the top of my head Dark Elves, High Elves, Lizardmen (my own glorious army), Orcs and Goblins (just got a new book), and Warriors of Chaos.

I'm not sure about Vampire Counts, but I could see the other poster's point ( and they are downright fearsome to play against if built the right way).

The rules are a bit more detailed and complex, but not too bad. Just read through the BRB a couple times and refresh where needed and it comes like anything else.

If you want to grab the BRB and give it a couple reads before finalizing what army you want, Tomb Kings come out this May. Obviously this book hasn't been vetted and so it's hard to say if it will be easier or harder to play than its previous iteration, or even worth playing at all.

Armies I'd absolutely recommend you stay away from are: Beastmen, Brettonia, and Wood Elves.

All the rumors are pointing to Ogres and Wood Elves getting next Army Books soon (not codices). After that is some conflict on who (likely suspects include Brettonia and Empire).

Necron_Lord
03-12-2011, 10:21 AM
It depends on what you want out of the hobby. If you want a cool looking army with fluff you like, look the armies over and pick the one which appeals to you most. Skaven are an uber-horde army which requires a lot of models. I did a 1500 pt list for Skaven and it had a model count > 200. If you are getting into WFB for fun, I'd say get the army which appeals to you most and fits the commitment you're ready to make. I haven't started yet, but it looks fun.

Scion_of_Terra
03-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Scion, just because you fight more, doesnt mean u train best. :)
Your guys are too busy playing with their friends than to train well.

There is no substitute for experience.

gcsmith
03-13-2011, 06:54 AM
But experience in combat is only increased by what is required. If your killing all your threats easily you don't increase in skill just from combat, which is why you need to train personally.