PDA

View Full Version : Small Games

steesefactor
09-01-2009, 01:09 PM
I want to start a new army, but money, time, and just not getting overwhelmed makes me want to start off small. I have a couple of different rule sets for small games, but I haven't used either of them before. So, to my fellow forum members, I'm wondering what your experiences with small games has been, and if you have any suggestions to keep them interesting, please share.

The two sets of rules I have.

Warhammer 40K Army Composition Rules:
- Max 500pts from a current, published GW codex
- Force Org: 0-1 HQ, 1+ Troops, 0-1 Elite, 0-1 Fast, 0-1 Heavy Support
- Max 250pts on any single unit
- Max 100pts on any single model
- No 2+ Saves
- No Model with more than 2 wounds

Combat Patrol
- 400 pts
- Force Org: 0-1 HQ, 1+ Troops
- No 2+ Saves
- No Model with more than 2 wounds
- No special characters
- No ordanance weapons
- No vehicles with a AV total greater than 33

I think both rule sets would work well up to 750 pts, though I'd definitely start out around the 400-500 pts range.

Culven
09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I have played many Combat Patrol games, and they seemed rather balanced. I'm not sure how the "Warhammer 40K Army Composition Rules" rules would work, but it looks to be fairly easy to break since it would allow for Land Raiders and Leman Russ Tanks. The "No Ordnance" and "Max AV of 33" rules from Combat Patrol worked to prevent this.

Muras
09-01-2009, 01:21 PM
We use the combat patrol rules locally. They work pretty well for keeping everything about where it should be.

skarzog
09-01-2009, 01:29 PM
I suggest a combo of the two rule sets you posted. Combat Patrols at 500 points are great fun if you have an hour to kill. It allows you to try out some units/tactics you usually wouldn't use. It's also a good way to focus on learning how to best use a single unit or to create synergy between a couple different units.

steesefactor
09-01-2009, 01:57 PM
@Culven I got the first set of rules from a tournament I had seen somewhere. I didn't realize that landraiders would fit under the 250 pt limit, that would be a big no-no.

@skarzog There's a lot more special characters out now than when the combat patrol rules were written. So I'm thinking about taking out "no special characters". The other rules prevent taking something like Abbadon, but allow things like Sergeant Telion.

Carly
09-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Hello!

We play the combat patrol rules you posted at our club but we call it 40K in 40 minutes, seeing as thats what a games usually takes.

And we make the points 500 instead of 400. One guy also wanted to add 'No without number' for Nids but I think that is just because he had a bad game containing them. Personally, I thought it was funny as hell.

I think its a good way to learn the game and can give you some good laughs at the lower end of the points. Heck, you can even do a mini tournament with it and see which model scores the most kills, seeing as you usually only have a few units.

Overall, a thumbs up!

I havent played the other version that you posted, but again, does seem to be ok though Culven does have a point with the tanks and the breaking of the game.

Carly.

Jackmojo
09-01-2009, 02:16 PM
I like the combat patrol rules, and think they hold up pretty well at any points level.

you could certinaly use them at say, 1000 points, to represent faster, lighter forces rushing in early in a campaign before the big guns can get into position.

Jack