PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid fluff/Striking Scorpions

Emperorsmercy
09-01-2009, 01:23 PM
These are just two questions, wasn't sure where to put either.

1- Reading the Imperial Guard Codex yesterday, and it said Hive Fleet Moloch appeared before Hive fleet Kraken, if you look at the dates in that and in the Tyranid codex. There were a few other contrasting bits and I was just wondering, are they re-writing Tyranid fluff?

2- What happened to the original Pheonix lord of the Striking Scorpions?

Thanks

keithsilva
09-01-2009, 01:44 PM
I dont know about #1, but #2 the original Pheonix lord of the Striking Scorpions fell to chaos, he became a fallen pheonix, he destroyed one of the shrines of one of the pheonix lords, but I dont remeber which one. As far as I can remember he is still alive, I just dont know where, maybe the eye of terror. Striking Scorpions walk a fine line, thats is why he fell, do to the way scorpions act, they are not evil they just walk the fine line between order and choas.

Absolon
09-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Ahra (spelling may be off) was the first Phoenix Lord of the scorpions. He is no considered the Fallen Phoenix Lord. While nothing concrete has been stated it is insinuated that he may be founder of the Dark Elder Incubi class.

Mizzrym
09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
to #1 noooo GW contradicting itself.... never lol

Emperorsmercy
09-02-2009, 03:32 AM
mmm. So is the Pheonix Lord a Dark Eldar now or something else entriely?

Arnihs
09-02-2009, 04:57 AM
i wouldn't say that Arhar is a Dark Eldar but just tainted kinda like Maugan Ra, Shrine of Asur is believe to be were all Aspect came from, Arhar an the Striking Scorpions destroyed it not out of chaos influence but to show that the STriking Scorpions are the greatest of all Aspect; at least thats how i interpreted it.

check out Blacklibrary new art for Sk it looks so badass i hope that they get a new model soon with the same detail as BL drawing.

Drew da Destroya
09-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm pretty sure that Ahra fell into darkness, and became a Dark Eldar. Not just any Dark Eldar, though, he created the only real "Aspect warriors" that the DE have, the Incubi.

The Incubi are highly trained, well-equipped warriors who aren't part of any Cabal, and are trained in a central Temple. If that doesn't sound like a Craftworld Aspect Warrior, I don't know what does.

Furthermore, Incubi are primarily assualt troops, wearing heavy (3+) armor, lack the Fleet rule, have weapons that add +1 to their strength, and use psycho-sensitive face pistols. Very similar to the Striking Scorpions.

The main difference is that Incubi use 2 handed power weapons, and lack the ability to infiltrate or move through cover. Of course, these differences can be written off as the stylistic differences between Ahra and Karandras.

spinny
09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
For question 1, it has been discussed before that other hive fleets have come into the imperium before Kraken did. These splinter fleets were destroyed before the idea of tyranids was recognised and so would have been classed as other races, but now that the imperium know what tyranids are they can back-trace these older races and assign them to the tyranid category.

xomntec
09-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I have also been particularly interested in Arhra.

In particular I was always interested in the changes to Eldar fighting styles that emerged in the aftermath of their fall (and Arhra is an interesting link in that chain).

It is my understanding that Asurmen established the tradition for Aspect Warriors (and The Path of the Warrior) as a way to focus a warriors attention on one aspect to constrain their indulgent nature. The greatest of each aspect were to become the Phoenix lords and went on to establish shrines on the Craftwords...and this eventually became the basis for the martial tradition for the Craftworlds.

On the other hand, The Dark Eldar military tradition was established mostly in an ad hoc manner by children (in Eldar terms) who survived The Fall and formed their society based somewhat on survival and somewhat on recollections of "traditional" Eldar culture at the time (i.e. pleasure cults). I am inferring mostly from "The Torturer's Tale" which contains rather dubious claims, but that's mostly what I have to work with.

And the Exodites likely have adapted "traditional" Eldar martial traditions to their environment; but I personally know next to nothing about the way they fight. The only clue I have found is a mention that Saim-Hann culture is the closest to theirs.

With that said, I do think it is very likely that the Incubi are the disciples of Ahra (for the all reasons mentioned by Drew da Destroya). What makes him so interesting is why did he turn on Asurmen/Craftworld Eldar/his Disciples etc? How and why did he end up in Commorragh...and then why did he reestablish a Temple to create an fighting tradition very similar to the Striking Scorpions but with an emphasis on protection rather than stalking?

Anyhow, I've put a lot of thought and some investigation. I don't know that there is too much more out there, but Arhra definitely is my favorite barely mentioned character.